Is it worth learning to shoot?

Homes and Retreats
Pastiebap

Re: Is it worth learning to shoot?

Post by Pastiebap »

Shotgun adapters will be classed as a component part of a firearm as they can be viewed as either a breach or a short barrel. Possession of such without an FAC would be a criminal offence.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Pastiebap wrote:Shotgun adapters will be classed as a component part of a firearm as they can be viewed as either a breach or a short barrel. Possession of such without an FAC would be a criminal offence.
Even if they're for shotgun cartridges ?
Despite the fact that you have to have a functioning shotgun in order for them to work?
I mean, its not like having a spare eighteen inch barrel

I can understand needing an FAC for the rifle and pistol rounds (after all, the Law thinks that one lump of lead is much more deadly then an SSG :shock: ), but needing an FAC for a way of converting your shotgun to fire different gaged shotgun ammunition doesn't make sense.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

ForgeCorvus wrote:
Pastiebap wrote:Shotgun adapters will be classed as a component part of a firearm as they can be viewed as either a breach or a short barrel. Possession of such without an FAC would be a criminal offence.
Even if they're for shotgun cartridges ?
Despite the fact that you have to have a functioning shotgun in order for them to work?
I mean, its not like having a spare eighteen inch barrel

I can understand needing an FAC for the rifle and pistol rounds (after all, the Law thinks that one lump of lead is much more deadly then an SSG :shock: ), but needing an FAC for a way of converting your shotgun to fire different gaged shotgun ammunition doesn't make sense.

A way of simplifying it for you... if it's section 1 Firearm, or ammunition, or moderator even, then it goes on your FAC, including shotgun slugs and shotguns which hold more than 3 cartridges, so an adapter is a firearm despite needing something to live in ;)
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

When has fire arms law ever made sense in this country?
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Hamradioop wrote:When has fire arms law ever made sense in this country?
I should of known :oops:

.38 special = FAC
9x SG shot = SGC :?

At least I don't need a licence for my preferred projectile weapon..... ELB
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

ForgeCorvus wrote:
.38 special = FAC
I don't want to rain on your parade but to get SG requires FAC. Sorry.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Briggs 2.0 wrote:
ForgeCorvus wrote:
.38 special = FAC
I don't want to rain on your parade but to get SG requires FAC. Sorry.
:oops:

At least theres some logic then.

What size does shot start to require an FAC ?

Not that I own (or are likely to own soon) a shotgun, but I don't want to look like a muppet in future
unsure

Post by unsure »

any shotgun that holds more then three cartridges is classed as a fac only weapon . as been said all ready

its not about the size of the shot or the load come to that ,so long as its not a slug [ one piece projectile] cartridge .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

@ForgeCorvus

I'm going to stand to be corrected here but I am 99% certain that SGC limits shot size to BB. On an FAC you can get the larger shot sizes of AAA and upwards to SG and to solid slug.

There are several charts on google that show the shot size. http://www.hallowellco.com/shot_size_chart.htm

I tend to use number 5 as my game bird and squirrel choice in 36g load. It's not most pheasant's choice though....

I have SG in 36g magnums. The shot size is about 8mm and there's about a dozen or so in a 3" magnum case so I'm sure you can imagine their effectiveness on larger pests. However, I find the shot pattern is unpredictable even on an improved 1/2 choke which I put down to the hardness of steel making the shot bounce around off each other. One pattern can be nice and tight and the next one twice as wide.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
unsure

Post by unsure »

A Shot gun certificate is not required to possess or acquire shot gun cartridges containing five or more shot, none of which diameter. All ordinary shot cartridges are covered by this description. However, a shot gun certificate (or firearm certificate authorising possession of a section 1 shot gun) is normally required to purchase shotgun cartridges.

brigs 2.0 ,, i stand corrected on my post . it clearly states no less than 5 shot .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .