Guns,air rifles and weapons

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
dreamcatcher

Re: Guns,air rifles and weapons

Post by dreamcatcher »

londonercsecse wrote:Question: New into guns, so what kind of tools and cleaning kit do I need for a 12g shotgun from scratch? Thx.
Get a 12g Bore Snake. Any good gun cleaner and some gun oil. Napier of london is an excellent product look on E Bay.
Charlie 5

Post by Charlie 5 »

wildadventurer wrote:What is your primary hunting weapon?

Content edited by moderator
High Velocity 40mm High Explosive Dual Purpose Grenades from an M19 Grenade Machine Gun - will bring down a T-Rex quite nicely, those nasty pterodactyls (excuse spelling) with Phalanx CIWS Mini Gun, and sustained High Explosive fire pattern from an 81mm Mortar will deal with that herd of Velocoraptors. What was the question ? :D
If I fail, at least I fail whilst daring greatly, so that my place will never be with those cold and timid souls who have known neither victory or defeat
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

.22 rimfire for hunting rabbits and pigeon, crows etc
devonladuk

Post by devonladuk »

My dad taught my to shoot with a .177 air rifle from a young age, I then moved on to a single barrel .410 it was then a 20 bore and finally onto a 12 bore. I still have the same guns, and quite often go out for a few bunnies and flying rats.
My soon to be 4 year old soon has taken a great interest in preparing game, he even helps me paunch and skin the things I bring home. Rabbit pie is one of his fav dishes!
I must admit, when money has been tight, it's been a blessing to put meat on the table for next to nothing.
londonercsecse

Post by londonercsecse »

devonladuk wrote:My dad taught my to shoot with a .177 air rifle from a young age, I then moved on to a single barrel .410 it was then a 20 bore and finally onto a 12 bore. I still have the same guns, and quite often go out for a few bunnies and flying rats.
My soon to be 4 year old soon has taken a great interest in preparing game, he even helps me paunch and skin the things I bring home. Rabbit pie is one of his fav dishes!
I must admit, when money has been tight, it's been a blessing to put meat on the table for next to nothing.
You are lucky to be able to shoot somewhere for game...
survivor_steve

Post by survivor_steve »

if youre struggling for somewhere to shoot and dont mind a bit of hard work maybe worth trying

http://www.nobs.org.uk/

register on there and see if you can help out local, i started of beating and got a 1200 acre permission on an estate, the game keepers have been a life saver for me and helped me out no end..... all the best steve
londonercsecse

Post by londonercsecse »

survivor_steve wrote:if youre struggling for somewhere to shoot and dont mind a bit of hard work maybe worth trying

http://www.nobs.org.uk/

register on there and see if you can help out local, i started of beating and got a 1200 acre permission on an estate, the game keepers have been a life saver for me and helped me out no end..... all the best steve
Thx for the info, didn"t know about this!
piglet

Post by piglet »

And if you beat for the guns you get paid for it as well...ok not much....it was around £20 a day in my day and a brace of pheasants if you had a sensible controllable working dog...so no springers then.

But the point is, if you make a name for yourself, put yourself out there a bit, then you might get either vermin shooting/ferreting permissions and/or invites to other events.

When I was working on an estate, I was always looking for good beaters as we needed something like 30-40 a week, and it was always a struggle to find reliable people.
ain't settlin'
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

So what's the going rate now then? like you say if you get offered shooting land it's worth taking low pay in return, I suspect beaters have always been more about pocket money and a day out than a living, I couldn't get away to do it (I'm a carer) so the range once a fortnight target shooting it is for me, but I'd encourage anyone who can to get stuck in anyway they can, Nobs I first heard of on Jamie Oliver's Jamie at home series, is a good a way as any to move in the right circles for a way in.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Sheepster

Post by Sheepster »

Im lucky enough to have 1000 acres of shooting here, Vermin control on a pheasant estate. Going rate for beating here is £25 but no lunches included now.