Canned Food Expiry Dates

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
redskies

Canned Food Expiry Dates

Post by redskies »

Interesting article here - http://www.prepper-resources.com/canned ... date-myth/

In the late 80's, when I was an Air Cadet, I remember being issued 24hr ration packs on camps and some of the packing dates were in the 60's and 70's - it tasted as good as those things ever do, and certainly wasn't spoiled.
kizzie

Re: Canned Food Expiry Dates

Post by kizzie »

I was born before they put dates on tins. I never look at the date on them. . If its blown or badly dented then I dont buy. Same with dry goods.
I keep my eggs long after the date has expired and dont keep them in the fridge either.
Toddie

Post by Toddie »

Very interesting read, thanks Red
Area 8.

"Better to have and not need, than to need and not have"
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

Interesting website, thanks for this
Knowledge is power
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

I work as a chef, and believe me, sell by dates are the biggest waste of food going, i eat yogurts that are way past the seel by date, nothing wrong with them, if it is blown its gone, dont just throw it away because it is past its date, smell it, taste it, if the food passes those tests, then its fine. I think it is a crime to throw eatable food away, there are people in the world starving.
Up in the wet South Lakeland
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

DustyDog wrote:I work as a chef, and believe me, sell by dates are the biggest waste of food going, i eat yogurts that are way past the seel by date, nothing wrong with them, if it is blown its gone, dont just throw it away because it is past its date, smell it, taste it, if the food passes those tests, then its fine. I think it is a crime to throw eatable food away, there are people in the world starving.
Very true, this is why rotation of food stocks is so important!! Nothing should ever go over the best before dates if you use what you store.
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
FEISTY

Post by FEISTY »

Had found one of my cans of tomatoes was 09/13 when I cleared out the cupboards. I've asked everyone in the house to make sure they use stuff in date order and all the cupboards have been cleared and sorted. So I used two cans of tomatoes tonight with 1kg of steak mince to make a double batch of spag boll. The can wasn't blown and when I opened it, it smelled absolutely fine. I make a pretty good spag bol and tonight's was up to usual standard. As long as we're not all dead in a couple of days ;), I think we can assume that canned food is fine well beyond the BB dates. I would always check the state of the can before I opened it anyway.