Khukris for Bushcraft

Post by DangerousTeddyBear »

Hi

i was wondering if a khukri would be any use in a bushcraft situation

would appreciate feedback
ForgeCorvus

Re: Khukris for Bushcraft

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Some 'Crafters rate them highly and some not at all..... I suppose it depends what works for you.

I have one and think its a useful bridge between a machete and an axe*, but then so is a billhook and those look more "Grey" (in other words, less like weapons) .

If you've got one try it out

*Machete are better for cutting thin springy stuff and axes for thicker woody stuff, what native peoples use depends on what grows around where they live......

ETA: I forgot to say, England looks the way it does because of Saxon billhooks
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

I have a Cold Steel Khukri machete that I use for brush clearing on the allotment. It works well for rough stuff and is cheap enough not to worry about damaging as I thwack away at run-wild raspberry and Old-Man's-Beard.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Just to add.
I seriously thinking of selling mine, I don't need it and its a shame not using a tool like that.
Besides, I'm more of a axe & small knife person
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
Smudge

Post by Smudge »

DangerousTeddyBear wrote:Hi

i was wondering if a khukri would be any use in a bushcraft situation

would appreciate feedback
I have a khukuri (type) knife (Bahadur) I have used for bushcraft works fine, I recently (month or so ago) sold my axe (Haltafors) at a carboot sale tbh I don't do much chopping so a large knife, small knife and saw suits me.
If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is usually the answer.
MizerD

Post by MizerD »

ForgeCorvus wrote:Just to add.
I seriously thinking of selling mine, I don't need it and its a shame not using a tool like that.
Picture and price please :p
The only thing more valuable than the things you carry, is knowing how to make and maintain them.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

MizerD wrote:
ForgeCorvus wrote:Just to add.
Picture and price please :p
Give me a day or two and I'll be happy to...... Flickr seems to of been "Improved Worse" again :x
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

MizerD

Post by MizerD »

Looks like that would feel the part in hand :) any idea what type of steel it is? And if you ever do decide to rid yourself of this troublesome burden ;) pm me what your thinking, as I was looking on a generic online auction site at something similar last week. I'd rather recycle a bit of kit with history than buy some generic bland blade that's never seen the light of day.
The only thing more valuable than the things you carry, is knowing how to make and maintain them.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I'm pretty sure its a medium carbon steel with a fairly heavy temper, what the photo doesn't show is the cross-section.
The the spine is quite thick and theres a wide forged hollow over the belly before it thickens again to the convex edge in the 'sweet-spot'. Directly under the fullers (the two narrow grooves that you can see as dark lines) the edge is more of a flat grind, as you can see the Kauda (the notch ) is very well formed. The blade was forged rather then ground and all this leads me to believe that its a 'real one' rather then something made as a souvenir.

As it stands it weighes 1lb 2 1/2 oz, the blade is nearly 13 inches long and the whole thing is 19 inches in total. I made the grip from a peice of hardwood grown in my garden and mounted the short rat's-tail tang using Araldite, its shaped so there are two natural grips (forward for control or to the end for power).

Anything else you wish to know, just ask.