Slingbow or Crossbow

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
DangerousTeddyBear

Slingbow or Crossbow

Post by DangerousTeddyBear »

Hi

i was wondering what would be best in a SHTF situation, and i would really appreaciate some feedback
Arzosah

Re: Slingbow or Crossbow

Post by Arzosah »

Hi DTB
Interesting question! How would you be looking to use either of them, do you think? And what sort of shtf situation?
piglet

Post by piglet »

Arzosah wrote:Hi DTB
Interesting question! what sort of shtf situation?
Somebody slept in their bed
ain't settlin'
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

I was watching Ron Hood last night Ted and his rules of three, relax a little and think about priorities in SHTF situations hunting/defense aren't number one neither offer much chance of quick success hunting ( forgetting legalities for a moment) and neither offer a good chance of repelling an attack with such slow rares of fire and accuracy issues, unless you're hunting in the refrigerated meat isle of a supermarket or defending against the inhabitants of toysrus cuddlies isle ;) I'd go with a catapult, or an air rifle for small game if you must.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
JamieSmith

Post by JamieSmith »

Personally I would go for the crossbow, I would pick the crossbow as

1: You don't have to use some much arm strength whilst aiming the crossbow as apposed to holding back the sling bow.
2: Crossbows seem slightly more user friendly
3: With some practice could you use a crossbow one handed? not sure but possible dependant on size. This could be useful if you are injured
4: More power than a sling bow due to the tension generated by the crossbow limbs.

And that's about it, this is just my opinion

Jamie
Smudge

Post by Smudge »

I'll go with neither:

I had (until recently) a pistol xbow I bought for SHTF home defence, small/ maneuverable in confined spaces, quick to reload and packs a punch BUT lacks on accuracy goes through strings pretty damn quick.

What does the above have to do with anything? A full size crossbow gets lots of hype since The Walking Dead, it's slow to reload and would be awkward to use in confined spaces for home defence. I'm not sure how quick a a full size crowbow goes through strings but the way the pistol bow did it'd put me off.

Slingbow, honestly imho is not a long term shtf tool unless you're storing up plenty of bands short term maybe.

Why not a proper bow? or even a Sling (David & Goliath type)
If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is usually the answer.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

One or two negatives with crossbows though.

High risk of loss of bowel control loading

One of the most awkward things for snagging on anything and everything whilst being carried, I bet there's a pile of out takes from "The walking Dead" and that's a compound version.

That said I own Crossbows (among other things) but not Slingbows, and they are too much fun to part with.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Going back a bit but the advantage of a crossbow was that it could be used with very little training compared to the alternatives. Another advantage is that it can be kept loaded for some time so could be used for ambush of prey or whatever. I like a longbow but would probably go hungry if I had to rely on it for food as I really don't get enough practice.
Post event , assuming conditions allow , then trapping would be more efficient for hunting and hiding or running away more efficient for human confrontations.
Gunner81

Post by Gunner81 »

I like the crossbow pistols.

Small, compact for one handed fire and for use in tight areas.
Anyone with a bit of muscle can load and fire.
Extremely cheap. Pistol £20. 12 bolts £2.50. New strings £1.75. String wax £1.
Once sited I find it fairly accurate, can easily hit compost bag (upright) at 50ft.
And great fun to practice shooting, especially if you competing with friends.
My strings are fraying a bit but still not had to replace any yet. I do maintain mine with the wax.
They look mean and would be a good deterrent.

For hunting I would think you would need a lot of patience. I would use an air rifle for hunting.
DangerousTeddyBear

Post by DangerousTeddyBear »

Hi yeah about the uses of it the both would mainly be used as a way of hunting for food, forgetting the legal stuff and in extreme cases warding off people. :tinfoil