Blackout!

How are you preparing
jansman

Blackout!

Post by jansman »

Ok, not exactly a blackout, but it grabbed your attention. :lol: this morning the gas pipe crew outside our house put a JCB bucket through the electricity cable. The power is still not on. To be honest the gas pipe gang have been working their way through the village and it has been mayhem. Powercuts have been common. So has car damage.
Yesterday my Wife's car was trashed by said JCB swinging into the side of it. You do not need to be an insurance assessor to see it is a right-off. :cry: anyhow courtesy car is here, and I suspect we will do ok, as the offending company have been good about it all, and we are having a 'meeting ' in the morning.
So, the power. Fortunately I have a substantial generator. I have kept the freezers and fridge powered by 'blipping' them in every couple of hours or so. My frozen water in the chest freezer has been great to put on the top shelf of the fridge to keep it cool. Our elderly neighbour is all electric, so I ran a cable to his fridge too. He is here for his dinner right now, and I have fired up the woodstove as it is a little chilly now the sun is setting. Maurice is a tough old boy, 93 and fought the Japanese in Burma. He is quite philosophical, unlike our 30 something neighbours who are freaking out. My immediate neighbour the other side of us asked me-seriously-why I was powering my elderly neighbour. She said that ahe was just as important. My Wife told her that he was an old man, and when our children were young and we had no money, he helped us with our plumbing and did not charge us. Anyhow, we are going to fix him up with a couple of flasks of hot water and an LED lantern. He is happy with that, and two pints of my homebrew bitter went down well too! :lol: He thinks it is great that we are the only ones with the telly on.
My Daughter has just been told that the power should be back on by 8.30pm, but it has been a good test of gear. If anything, I need more petrol. I keep it in metal jerry cans in a concrete coal bunker. Yes, I know the law.
Also, neighbours will be the first,in a real crisis, to kick off and expect YOU to help them. Just my meandering thoughts.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Hamradioop

Re: Blackout!

Post by Hamradioop »

My immediate neighbour the other side of us asked me-seriously-why I was powering my elderly neighbour. She said that she was just as important
Bloody cheeky Cow. Nice to know your preps worked. Can you not get your generator to run on LPG? That way the storage restrictions would be eased.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

Lovely to hear you are caring for the old boy. Top work Jansman.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
Spiderwebb

Post by Spiderwebb »

Really like how you tell the story. And respect for your values and attitude towards your neighbours. Not sure I'd be so balanced with her next door though! Hope normality is restored soon.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Here here well done as ever Jansman, you're a good example too us all :D
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
redskies

Post by redskies »

A passing thought about options for the genny - gassifier?

And good on you for helping the old chap - he sounds like a great guy :)

I don't worry too much about neighbours; there's ten houses in our close, and despite the fact that there's a couple I wouldn't spit on if they were on fire, the rest are ok, and no one would starve or do without. We woke up with no water this morning - burst pipe - so trundled down to the shop to fill up containers there. We've got rain barrels, just not set em up yet. Long term, well, we've got thousands of gallons in two lochs across the road, would just need to set up a pump, which wouldn't be an issue. We're lucky to be where we are :)
jansman

Post by jansman »

Well, the power is back on. Maurice had another pint and I helped him home. He said he had really enjoyed himself! Brilliant. As for the other side... She said to my Wife that, " I am glad that damn machine is turned off now".The Duchess reminded her that she would have been happy to have been supplied with power. After a brief exchange my lovely Wife told her her name for nowt. As her Mother would say!
Sorry to say it,but the old folks have a damn sight more resilience.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Excellent!! What a lovely way to spend an evening, good to hear the older generation being helped, must have made his day, nice company, nice food and home brew!! 8-) 8-)

Pftt to the miserable moo though. :x
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
hobo

Post by hobo »

Great work J!
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

What a brilliant time you two and Maurice ended up having! Glad your wife told your neighbour where to get off :D