Optimus Crux / Jetboil Alternative

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Jimski

Post by Jimski »

Evening all,

Been looking for a lightweight/compact gas cook system for my GHB/Bouldering bag. Done the usual Youtube/Internet research and the two that came out on top were the 'Optimus Crux Weekend HE Cookset' and the 'Jetboil Flash'.

- Optimus Crux - £65-70 :shock:
http://www.equipyourtrip.com/optimus-cr ... ystem.html

- Jetboil Flash - £94.50 :shock:
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/jetboil-flash-p175427

Now.....I love a bargain, but clearly the above options are serious £££ in my eyes, especially for something that won't get used everyday! So, I knew somewhere, that there would be a better option.......and there was!

Cue 'Go Outdoors', I love this place, even though they do sell some crap at times! So, they do, in their 'Hi Gear' range, a cookset, in anodised aluminium, it has some pretty reassuring reviews too;

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-bac ... et-p287230

Strangely, this is the same design as the 'Optimus Crux' and comes in a neat little drawstring bag @ £19.99.......ok I'm listening.....they also then stock the 'Vango Compact Stove' @ £11.99

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/vango-compa ... ve-p153188

Now, I'm pretty sure, along with a 100g canister or maybe the 200/220g, its all going to fit inside just as well as the 'Optimus Crux'. I will be trying when I go and fetch it, BEFORE I buy it! This option comes in at £31.98 plus a canister. So lets say a 50% saving/cheaper option.

Hope this helps someone, I know hexi, plain old fire and woodgas is cheaper, but its nice to have a gas option for a quick brew in the back of the Land Rover that I can pack away pretty much as soon as the water has boiled.

J
munchh

Re: Optimus Crux / Jetboil Alternative

Post by munchh »

I have a copy of the vango, there are alot of them online and ebay, I think mine was called a commando stove, but its identical, when you want to just get some water on for a brew while setting up camp or just out for the day, its spot on. The Y shape works as a wind sheld, so it never gets all blown out, if you want something that just works, thats it.
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
pitchshifter

Post by pitchshifter »

I have the Vango compact stove. I haven't tried it out yet as it's supposed to be a Christmas present so has been put away. However I've had it out and I can tell you it's teeny tiny and super light, which is just what I wanted. The box it comes in is really small too, but due to the shape of the stove there's also a little room in there for a fire steel or some matches.

My Mum bought a Jetboil for my Dad one Christmas after they'd seen someone using one when out hiking. He did us a brew on it, it's an awesome thing! :D
Devonian

Post by Devonian »

If you want an alternative to the JetBoil, get one of these:

https://www.alpkit.com/products/brukit

I've just got one (this week) and it is high quality and basically identical to the JetBoil in all regards, except for the price.

They are made specifically for AlpKit and have a good reputation, but they do sell out fast. The last batch sold out within a few days, but they do get new stock in on a regular basis, so if it's of interest, keep checking the website, they are well worth buying.
Jimski

Post by Jimski »

Now that.....is a nice bit of kit!! Thanks for that, I think I might wait and get one of those!! Decisions decisions!

How are you finding yours? Is there enough clearance on the burner to use say a mess tin if you needed to? Does it fit in the pouch with a 100g canister?
Devonian

Post by Devonian »

Jimski wrote:How are you finding yours?
As I say, I literally only got it this week so not had much experience of it yet, but it is top quality and I do not envisage having any problems with it. It's likely to live in my day pack so when I'm out with dog on the coast path or the moors, I can make a quick brew or have some soup. The best thing about it is the speed and ease of use, I've already got a wood gas stove and a compact primus gas stove which I use when camping and that is still likely to be better for using a frying pan/billy on, but for boiling water and heating soup etc, then this is likely to be unbeatable.
Jimski wrote:Is there enough clearance on the burner to use say a mess tin if you needed to?
Yes, but it is optimised to use the supplied pot which locks securely onto the burner unit with a simple twist of the pot.
Jimski wrote:Does it fit in the pouch with a 100g canister?

Yes and still space to put some tea bags or chocolate sachets etc....
Jimski

Post by Jimski »

Thank you, really appreciate that.
janso

Post by janso »

Devonian wrote:If you want an alternative to the JetBoil, get one of these:

https://www.alpkit.com/products/brukit

I've just got one (this week) and it is high quality and basically identical to the JetBoil in all regards, except for the price.

They are made specifically for AlpKit and have a good reputation, but they do sell out fast. The last batch sold out within a few days, but they do get new stock in on a regular basis, so if it's of interest, keep checking the website, they are well worth buying.
I'll second the Alpkit burner as a good stove; I also give recommendation to the jetboil! Had mine since they came out and it's still going great. However; do you definitely want gas or a wood burning alternative?

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!
Society has gotten to the point where everybody has a right but nobody has a responsibility
Devonian

Post by Devonian »

janso wrote:However; do you definitely want gas or a wood burning alternative?
Sorry but I have no idea what you are actually asking???

The BruKit is used when I'm out for the day on the coast path for example - it's quick, easy, hassle free and clean.

The Wood Gas stove is normally used when I'm in the (my) woods and I'm there for day working. But it also has the advantage of not needing a fuel source other than what I can find lying around on the floor or in the hedges.

So yes I use (want) both.

I also have a lightweight primus backpacking gas stove which I use when camping (works with the same gas canisters as the BruKit).
Jimski

Post by Jimski »

I can pretty much echo the above too. When I'm camped for the night or out for an afternoon indefinitely in one spot, the woodgas is my go to, its easy to set up, bit of a 'focal' point and easy to keep going, either with the wood pellets or whatever is around.

For the bouldering/walking side of things, I'll be using my budget version of the 'Optimus Crux HE Weekend' setup initially, based on the links I put up in the first post, using the 'Vango Compact Stove' burner, all self contained.

As soon as Alpkit have more stock of the BruKit, this will take over as the 'day' stove, stashed in the boot of the landy or rucksack.

Always nice to have options, none of which are particularly expensive. Handy for having a couple of pots on the go too!