Erm... Pot Noodles!

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
mushroom

Erm... Pot Noodles!

Post by mushroom »

Hello,
I haven't posted in AGES! But hey - first hint of cold weather and thoughts turn to prepping again!! I have been reading everyone else's posts regularly though :D

Anyway... for the first time in about 20 years I had a Pot Noodle tonight! My partner bought a couple home the other day. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised! It wasn't bad! Does this mean I have no idea when it comes to taste, or does it mean I've been a food snob for too long?

What's the general consensus on the humble Pot Noodle please - and how long do they store for!!!!??
Decaff

Re: Erm... Pot Noodles!

Post by Decaff »

I've recently rotated a pack of the beef and tomato pot noodles into my cupboards, I don't mind them with a bread roll or toast. Add lots of ketchup and or chives/herbs and theyre not bad. They don't taste that great if they go too far over the eat by date, they should be indestructable as its all dried but sadly not.
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I detest them. My girls love them.
Some years ago I found myself in Police custody(don't ask), it was stressful. What did I get offered at lunchtime? A freakin' pot noodle! Awful things.
On a prepping note, as I was under stress( of arrest) I totally lost my appetite. IMO shtf, the idea that you will eat anything is untrue. I ate little for a week.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
DundeePrepper

Post by DundeePrepper »

Decaff wrote:I've recently rotated a pack of the beef and tomato pot noodles into my cupboards, I don't mind them with a bread roll or toast. Add lots of ketchup and or chives/herbs and theyre not bad. They don't taste that great if they go too far over the eat by date, they should be indestructable as its all dried but sadly not.
I think if you were to decant one into a mylar bag with oxy absorber it would last longer, the foil lid cant be airtight...
Newbie Prepper
The ability to foresee is not reserved for Psychics and Lunatics. The mind is predisposed to see the future from its own past.
- Unknown Author
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

DundeePrepper wrote:
Decaff wrote:I've recently rotated a pack of the beef and tomato pot noodles into my cupboards, I don't mind them with a bread roll or toast. Add lots of ketchup and or chives/herbs and theyre not bad. They don't taste that great if they go too far over the eat by date, they should be indestructable as its all dried but sadly not.
I think if you were to decant one into a mylar bag with oxy absorber it would last longer, the foil lid cant be airtight...
I dont use Mylar bags yet, don't have the sealer or the money for them to be honest and then I would make my own healthier version rather than the ready made ones. Nice idea though. Plus no one else in my home will eat them!!
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I like the mushroom one, and had 24 pots stashed. Then found I have gluten intolerance and had to give them away to my daughter :evil:
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Used to love them easy site snack when working, but then they banned all the E numbers now they are tastless, better and cheaper with asda noodles in a mug and bingo 17p pot noodle .

We used to call them pot o toxic waste ,as it was easier to feed it than bury it :o

J
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
munchh

Post by munchh »

I preffer KOKA or my wife likes KO-LEE, but KOKA are the best you can get them in a square block, or a bit more expencive in a pot, well worth a try, most supermarkets do them. :D
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

You can also get mug pasta things and mug couscous but you can make your own with dried veg and mini pasta shells or spirals which would be cheaper.

Not seen mushroom pot noodles will look out for that flavour and try a couple.
redskies

Post by redskies »

Eat the pot, it has more nutritional value than the contents!

Why not make up your own dried pasta type meals? If you have a food flask, you can drop the dried meal in there first thing in the morning, add hot water and it'll be ready for you about dinner time, no effort required. With a vacuum packer, it'll last years, and store small. Something I plan to offer in the shop by about May next year.

Lots of good receipes out there; search 'mason jar meals'.