AXES FOR SALE AT ALDI!!!!!

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
DarkArcher777

AXES FOR SALE AT ALDI!!!!!

Post by DarkArcher777 »

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thur-23-apr/

THEY ARE ALSO SELLING 100 LITRE WATER BUTTS
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, Give a man religion and he will starve to death waiting for God to feed him.

Why are stupid people so fertile?
DustyDog

Re: AXES FOR SALE AT ALDI!!!!!

Post by DustyDog »

Thanks for the heads up, the only thing with cheap axes and the like, is they don't last, i bought one from a trade outlet, used it for one month and the handle just snapped one day. Now i have a Husqvarna splitting axe, a lot more money, but have had it nearly two years, and it is still spot on and i split a lot of wood with it, but the water butt looks a good buy. Cheap and cheerful is ok for some things, but sometimes the better quality stuff works out better.
Up in the wet South Lakeland
DarkArcher777

Post by DarkArcher777 »

i'll have to agree with you on the axe but it may do ok as a back up, when the zombie apocalypse happens one will be glad to have it.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, Give a man religion and he will starve to death waiting for God to feed him.

Why are stupid people so fertile?
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

Review from the Aldi site:
Bought one of these in 2014. I'd describe it as a log splitting maul rather than an "axe". It splits logs well. No problems with the head separating so far. Decent grip. Decent haft (handle). Flared head helps to split and avoid jamming.

Get a big round of log to use as a chopping block and put it on the ground. Hold the "axe" and get yourself used to the distance to the centre of the chopping block by holding/swinging the "axe". Mark your position perhaps by pushing a bit of kindling into the ground in front of where your toe goes when you have got the range. Put the log you want to split on the chopping block and split it. The idea is not to overshoot or the log you are splitting will damage the haft.

The weight of this is relatively light, so it can be swung quite fast by most people, it is easy to control, and splits logs well. I would not use it as a felling axe though.
If I recall correctly they have a 3 year guarantee. I agree this is a splitting maul and not a felling axe as I bought one in 2014 as well, I also bought the hatchet which is nicely balanced and was already sharp when unwrapped.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
The-Mendologist

Post by The-Mendologist »

I have seen these too, might go and have a squint at the quality. Could be a useful bit of kit when the petrol runs out.
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

The-Mendologist wrote:I have seen these too, might go and have a squint at the quality. Could be a useful bit of kit when the petrol runs out.
Useful when the petrol runs out??? Are you going to run down the street waving it around until someone gives you petrol??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

I've been using the Aldi maul, sledge and grenade for a few years now. Well worth the money.

Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

Looking good Pseudonym, nice pile of logs, and you can never have too many logs. still prefer my husky splitting axe, but could do with a new grenade, to go with my sledge hammer. ;)
The-Mendologist

Post by The-Mendologist »

DustyDog wrote:
The-Mendologist wrote:I have seen these too, might go and have a squint at the quality. Could be a useful bit of kit when the petrol runs out.
Useful when the petrol runs out??? Are you going to run down the street waving it around until someone gives you petrol??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
You have worked me out :o

When the petrol runs out of the chainsaw ;)
BaseOne

Post by BaseOne »

It's also a good move to place the log you want to split near to the opposite edge of the chopping block (but not overhanging the other side :o ). This helps to keep slighty more block between the axe head and your feet, should your swing not go exactly to plan (easy to do once you get tired).