could a dog work a MANUAL treadmill?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
katilea

could a dog work a MANUAL treadmill?

Post by katilea »

I mentioned this briefly at end of the snow in Sept blog but it may get lost in the discussion about weather and camping equipment so thought I'd best start a new thread.

I've been looking at treadmills as a way to exercise my energetic young collie if we're snowed cos if it does snow it's often nearly a week before the road thaws enough for me to get a mobility scooter out on it. I've no one else to walk him and people are usually more concerned about getting to work or their kids to school than making sure a dog is walked.

I'm wondering if anyone on here has a NON-MOTORISED treadmill such as this one?

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... 020465.htm

and knows if the belt is easy to get moving? would a Border Collie have the strength to make the walking belt move so he could walk or trot on it to get some exercise? .. or would it have to be a big electric one?

Thanks

Kati
Brambles

Re: could a dog work a MANUAL treadmill?

Post by Brambles »

One of these would be a better bet (and cheaper) to keep the hound engaged and active. Keep it by the back door and get playing in the garden with it now.

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp? ... Hwody9gCew
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I seem to recall a programme on the BBC presented by Lucy Wolsey or Suzanna Lipscomb where they showed a dog powered treadle used in nineteenth century in kitchens to turn meats or whatever on the spits.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

grenfell wrote:I seem to recall a programme on the BBC presented by Lucy Wolsey or Suzanna Lipscomb where they showed a dog powered treadle used in nineteenth century in kitchens to turn meats or whatever on the spits.
Oooh now there's a thought! Attach a Dynamo and BINGO! Your very own electricity generator :lol:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
jansman

Post by jansman »

Once your dog gets used to it he will be fine. It is not an unusual practice tbh. As unsavoury as it sounds, treadmills for dogs are very common amongst the dog fighting fraternity.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
The-Mendologist

Post by The-Mendologist »

Brambles wrote:
grenfell wrote:I seem to recall a programme on the BBC presented by Lucy Wolsey or Suzanna Lipscomb where they showed a dog powered treadle used in nineteenth century in kitchens to turn meats or whatever on the spits.
Oooh now there's a thought! Attach a Dynamo and BINGO! Your very own electricity generator :lol:

You beat me to it, i was thinking the same thing :geek:
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

The-Mendologist wrote:
Brambles wrote:

You beat me to it, i was thinking the same thing :geek:
TBH I was jokingly thinking of getting my Bengal/cross one of these :

http://onefastcat.com/?gclid=CNOzhoPr8ccCFUe3GwodfBsHpw

If I could harness the energy he expends bombing up and down stairs I reckon I could save a mint in electricity bills!! :shock: :lol:
MissAnpassad

Post by MissAnpassad »

Last edited by MissAnpassad on Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
katilea

Post by katilea »

Brambles wrote:One of these would be a better bet (and cheaper) to keep the hound engaged and active. Keep it by the back door and get playing in the garden with it now.

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp? ... Hwody9gCew
I can't use that I'm in wheelchair don;t have enough strength in legs to stomp on it
katilea

Post by katilea »

I've seen the special dog ones they are £500-£600 I could get one off ebay for around £100-£200. I think the length of the running area is more important as dog has a longer stride.

I'm just thinking of when it snows my collie is adult now and our road is bad with snow and ice. I can;t get my mobility scooter or electric wheelchair out and he's now used to running about 5 mile a day.

I just wondered if the manual one would work but the dog maybe won't understand what to do on it if it doesn't move easily and I doubt I could move it to stand behind him on it or something.

It will be an electric one I think.