Hello from another newcomer

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Beatts

Hello from another newcomer

Post by Beatts »

Hi,

from another newbie based near Durham. I have a had an interest in prepping for the past 6 months or so.

It all started with the addition to our family of my lovely little boy, before this I must admit I really didn't think about the effect of future events all that much, and then all of a sudden my outlook changed and I started putting the wellbeing of someone else before me for a change.

Since then I have become a little obsessed with the idea of making sure that we as a family are covered as much as we can be in the event of some kind of disaster in whatever form that may take.

I must admit that I haven't started to prep to any great deal as yet as I have been researching the whole idea along with the multitude of equipment needed, but it has certainly opened my eyes as to just how many people are thinking along similar lines.

Anyway that's a little about me.

cheers
Beatts
pseudonym

Re: Hello from another newcomer

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Beatts wrote:Hi,

from another newbie based near Durham. I have a had an interest in prepping for the past 6 months or so.

It all started with the addition to our family of my lovely little boy, before this I must admit I really didn't think about the effect of future events all that much, and then all of a sudden my outlook changed and I started putting the wellbeing of someone else before me for a change.

Since then I have become a little obsessed with the idea of making sure that we as a family are covered as much as we can be in the event of some kind of disaster in whatever form that may take.

I must admit that I haven't started to prep to any great deal as yet as I have been researching the whole idea along with the multitude of equipment needed, but it has certainly opened my eyes as to just how many people are thinking along similar lines.

Anyway that's a little about me.

cheers
Beatts
Welcome to the forum, I hope you find plenty of useful stuff.

As for the multitude of equipment, I wouldn't get too bogged down with all that, you have to go with what works for you. Most of us have accumulated stuff as we go, if you're planning for the wee one start getting the food/nappies etc and extra food and water for yourselves, you'll be surprised how quickly you can build a weeks worth over a few trips to the supermarket getting extras. Water seems to be a big one that people overlook, its not sexy but we all need the stuff so you can stockpile it and/or get methods to purify it. A cheap camping stove (or two) means you can heat food/boil water to warm bottles etc and there are some great cheap torches on well known internet sites. That's your basics covered and you can build from there.

Some people are gear geeks some aren't but don't get swept along with 'having' to have all the Gucci stuff, there's often a cheap alternative and that's if you need it at all, not everyone will want to run off to the woods for example.

Good luck with it and enjoy it too, there are people on here who know all sorts of things about all sorts of things so if you have any questions I'm sure you'll get answers.
tigs

Post by tigs »

Welcome to the forum
Ready for Anything

http://autonopedia.org/ if still out try facebook https://www.facebook.com/Autonopedia

Area 8