Sterile needles and syringes

Medical and Healthcare
ParamedicPrepper

Post by ParamedicPrepper »

How many people keep sterile syringes, needles and alcohol wipes?

Or even cannulas and IV start sets?

If so what do you keep?
defender130

Post by defender130 »

Have plenty of alcohol wipes, no needles or syringes though and last time I wanted syringes they looked at me in horror

Ended up getting a couple of huge syringes from the vets although no needles, good job I only wanted them to assist forming a vacuum when bleeding the brakes on my bike after the system has been totally empty for an overhaul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ParamedicPrepper

Re: Sterile needles and syringes

defender130 wrote:Have plenty of alcohol wipes, no needles or syringes though and last time I wanted syringes they looked at me in horror

Ended up getting a couple of huge syringes from the vets although no needles, good job I only wanted them to assist forming a vacuum when bleeding the brakes on my bike after the system has been totally empty for an overhaul

What do you think about keeping them though? Would you like to?

I think sterile equipment would be a great thing to have if SHTF
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

I have a few sets of needles and giving sets. If your keeping stuff like this it's the fluids you need to worry about the dates on, saline, ringers lactate, or my favorite hartmanns solution (it's the one we used to use) there are differences between them but nothing major from our point of view.

For those who don't know these are used to replace blood volume in a "leaking" patient (bleeding) ;)
The body uses red cells to carry oxygen around, it has excess cells for when we exert ourselves. Provided the blood volume is maintained the "spare" haemoglobin is able to carry the oxygen around and keep a resting person alive (I'm told about 1/3 of the original haemoglobin will do the job)
Obviously if the person keeps bleeding out eventually they'll reach a point where theres insufficent oxygen getting around, at that point BVE's (blood volume expanders) are not enough and you need proper whole blood or the patient will die
PreparedKent

Post by PreparedKent »

Its good to have sterile ones just in case (especially for foreign travel) but I wouldn't recommend injecting yourself if you don't know what you are doing.

I've got a few tubes and pins lying around from a previous illness.
yorkshirewolf

Post by yorkshirewolf »

I have a selection of pins and barrels, in various sizes, including the insulin needles, I also have some injectable Lidocaine (local anesthetic)

Needles in Green, blue and orange, mostly for IM injection

Barrels (syringes) in 1ml, 2ml,

insulin needles have a small needle attached, and are in IU measurements

I have them because sterile needles are the most important part of any injection, and i hope that i'd never need them, but it's a case of 'I'd rather have them and not need them, than need them and not have them'

A lot of things can be adapted or improvised with first aid, but nothing else can do an injection.

Steri swabs are great to have for general cleaning of cuts etc as well as pre-injection, so i have boxes of those. (they do sting though!)

-and yes, i've had training and experience with safe needle use :)
defender130

Post by defender130 »

I think keeping them would be a good idea although for me personally without the knowledge of use they would be as much for the sake of having them in case they were needed and there was someone around who knew how to use them

So what is a good selection to have ?, any thoughts of a just in case shopping list Paramedic Prepper

ParamedicPrepper

defender130 wrote:I think keeping them would be a good idea although for me personally without the knowledge of use they would be as much for the sake of having them in case they were needed and there was someone around who knew how to use them

So what is a good selection to have ?, any thoughts of a just in case shopping list Paramedic Prepper

In my opinion a selection of orange, blue and green needles as different meds require different administration routes. Subcutaneous usually an orange is sufficient, blue for intramuscular and green for deep intramuscular. That is a guide as some larger people may need a green to reach the muscle through the subcutaneous fat. Also you will need needles to draw up the drug. 3 to 5 of each size and maybe a few blunt needles for drawing up. A selection of 1ml, 3ml and 5ml syringes.

I am asking as can source these items cheap and was going to see if I could make up some packs for cost price. To my knowledge there are no rules on buying needles and certainly not syringes but certainly would not advise using unless trained
ParamedicPrepper

yorkshirewolf wrote:I have a selection of pins and barrels, in various sizes, including the insulin needles, I also have some injectable Lidocaine (local anesthetic)

Needles in Green, blue and orange, mostly for IM injection

Barrels (syringes) in 1ml, 2ml,

insulin needles have a small needle attached, and are in IU measurements

I have them because sterile needles are the most important part of any injection, and i hope that i'd never need them, but it's a case of 'I'd rather have them and not need them, than need them and not have them'

A lot of things can be adapted or improvised with first aid, but nothing else can do an injection.

Steri swabs are great to have for general cleaning of cuts etc as well as pre-injection, so i have boxes of those. (they do sting though!)

-and yes, i've had training and experience with safe needle use :)
Interesting i have never heard them called barrels before!

Are you a HCP?
ParamedicPrepper

sniper 55 wrote:I have a few sets of needles and giving sets. If your keeping stuff like this it's the fluids you need to worry about the dates on, saline, ringers lactate, or my favorite hartmanns solution (it's the one we used to use) there are differences between them but nothing major from our point of view.

For those who don't know these are used to replace blood volume in a "leaking" patient (bleeding) ;)
The body uses red cells to carry oxygen around, it has excess cells for when we exert ourselves. Provided the blood volume is maintained the "spare" haemoglobin is able to carry the oxygen around and keep a resting person alive (I'm told about 1/3 of the original haemoglobin will do the job)
Obviously if the person keeps bleeding out eventually they'll reach a point where theres insufficent oxygen getting around, at that point BVE's (blood volume expanders) are not enough and you need proper whole blood or the patient will die
Are you a medic or doctor/nurse sniper55?