New guy from Essex

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Bearded Prepper

New guy from Essex

Post by Bearded Prepper »

Hey guys and gals,

I'm an Essex based (bordering Hertfordshire), Draughtsman for a living. I'm in my late 20's and completely new to the scene. I decided to lurk around the boards for awhile before registering. I haven't yet started prepping due to not wanted to start off wrong, it's easier to learn the right way to do things from other people's mistakes and experiences rather than try to right an incorrect habit.

so a little about me.

As aforementioned I'm a draughtsman (I draw the pretty pictures that make the architects look good (and correct their mistakes)) I'm into classic cars and have completely restored a 1956 Ford 100e which is mostly original and my pride and joy, I have also restored a 1953 Ford Popular with my dad and it's now a drag racer. Since then we have restored a 1954 Chevy Stepside truck and are looking into restoring a Riley 4/72.

I have a few certifications in Archery using a takedown recurve bow, I make my own wines and am looking into trying my hand at mead as I can't get enough of the stuff!

Having recently bought our first home and being lucky enough to get a 60ft garden (in urbanville) we are going to try our hand at home growing fruit and veg and canning and dehydrating the glut.
Deeps

Re: New guy from Essex

Post by Deeps »

Welcome to the forum mate, good intro. I like your approach to it, its definitely better to use available information if its there. Have a look around and see what catches your eye on here. The best advice I can give you is figure out what it is YOU are prepping for and while youtube is a great source of inspiration try not to get too influenced by what others feel are essential, a lot of us have wasted money being seduced by 'shiny shiny'. Enjoy the process too.
shocker

Post by shocker »

Hello mate, welcome from another noob ! Whereabouts (about Ware?) are you at, I was up that way when I was a lad...maybe we have some acquaintances in common. If their memories are long enough :shock: ;)
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Bearded Prepper

Hi guys,

Thanks for the welcome.

Nearish, I'm based in Harlow. Just off J7 of M11.
whenfires

Post by whenfires »

Hi and welcome to the forum. From your job and the sound of your restoration projects you are practical and have attention to detail so prepping should come quite easily to you :D . Plenty of info here in the sub-forums and lots of knowledgeable members.
Twitter: @whenfires
Disclaimer: May contain Amazon affiliate links harmful to wealth
Bearded Prepper

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'm based near(ish) Ware. I live in Harlow, just off J7 on the M11.
MBJ

Post by MBJ »

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

I'd just like to echo what Deeps said and emphasise that skills are definitely more important than gear, although not to say that gear isn't important, it definitely is!

It sounds like you've already got a lot going for you. If you've any questions feel free to ask.
shocker

Post by shocker »

Harlow ! A schoolfriend runs a youthclub there, The Square...I think. Spent many teenage hours in the Harvey Center sitting around being a punk rocker, Newtown Neurotics and so on
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***