Hello, another new member introduction

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
heliomegaly

Hello, another new member introduction

Post by heliomegaly »

Hi all.
I'm Hugh and I'm posting from south Wales. I've been vaguely aware of prepping for years and not been hugely interested, but we all know that times are changing.
My main goal in signing up and posting here is finding resources for how to continue doing most of the domestic tasks of day to day life in the event that the UK has some kind of blackouts this winter, but fingers crossed that both I and everybody else here won't actually need any of the stuff here.
Frnc

Re: Hello, another new member introduction

Post by Frnc »

Hi Hugh, welcome. You'll find loads of resources and ideas here.
First item is emergency lighting. I would recommend a head torch, kept handy (plus pleny of batteries). I keep one on the end of my bed. You might need it even if there isn't a power cut. Eg your trip switch develops a fault (although the light circuit might still work), or simply your bulb goes, or the light circuit breaker goes.
Of course you can buy a bag of tea light candles for longer power cuts. Some people have mentioned some sort of glass cover for them.

Also you might want emergency cooking. Some sort of gas stove. Either backpacking style, or family camping style. To use the back packing ones you need a camping pot as a household one won't sit on top. I'm not familiar with family camping stoves.

And of course a power bank to charge your phone. I keep mine in a lipo bag in a metal ammo box with the rubber seal removed, on the fitchen floor away from flammable objects.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Hello Hugh, welcome to the forum. Seconding what Frnc has said, and adding:
- a good supply of tinned/ready to eat food - I'm recovering from covid, and my stash of tins has taken quite a bashing in the last few weeks.
- a first aid kit. Not only to help with headaches, splinters etc but also to keep you out of A&E if you possibly can - thermometer, germolene, that sort of thing (sorry, a bit brain dead).
- water. I use 2 litre bottles, I'm really old :mrgreen: and my arthritis means I can't lift anything any heavier. 5 litres and 25 litres are available, bigger too like an IBC container, but the smaller stuff is good for water main bursts, undrinkable water due to chemical release, that sort of thing.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Hi and Welcome from Cheshire.
As FRNC and Arzosah have said, Start with a few basics. Become resilient in what's easy, such as getting a few LED lamps and rechargeable batteries and a simple camping stove, then add in a few tins and jars of ordinary long life food ( and beer and teabags... and powdered milk). Then consider water, which is a beggar to store in any quantity. A few 2L bottles from Aldi at about 25p a bottle as first line, then a water straw and some purifying tabs as second line.
Imagine and plan for a few realistic incidents. Covid was a great dress rehearsal.
Could you go a month without going out and with no ASDA and deliveroo? Could you go a month without gas, water, electricity? Internet? If you can cover those bases, you are a month safer than 90% of your neighbours and peers.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

If the idea of lasting a month without any of these sounds too much then aim at lasting 1 day, then 3 days, then a week...
There was chaos in Sheppey recently when the water went out for 3 days during the heat wave.Having even a small stock means you don't have to panic if water goes out near you and have time to act rather than react.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

There's a place in the US that's had no tap water for 3 days.
Paracord1945

Post by Paracord1945 »

heliomegaly wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:27 am Hi all.
I'm Hugh and I'm posting from south Wales. I've been vaguely aware of prepping for years and not been hugely interested, but we all know that times are changing.
My main goal in signing up and posting here is finding resources for how to continue doing most of the domestic tasks of day to day life in the event that the UK has some kind of blackouts this winter, but fingers crossed that both I and everybody else here won't actually need any of the stuff here.
Hello and welcome to the site.

Even a small multi tool and a basic first aid kit that you can customize to suit your needs for your pockets possibly, I have seen many YouTube videos of wallet sized first aid kits. Just type in wallet sized IFAK, Individual First Aid Kit that stands for.

Thanks.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Paracord1945 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:31 pm a basic first aid kit that you can customize to suit your needs for your pockets possibly, I have seen many YouTube videos of wallet sized first aid kits. Just type in wallet sized IFAK, Individual First Aid Kit that stands for.
It's hard to fit a decent first aid kit in a small pouch ... A decent bandage is that size...

The mini kits and most that are in the high Street chemist shops are what I'd describe as a bo boo kit ok for a graze or small cut but most don't cover more that that... If you think shtf you might struggle to get an ambulance you'll need more kit...

If I'm walking into town I'll carry one (bo boo kit) but more than that I'll carry a more comprehensive kit... Why because last time I found a casualty it took 4! Yes four hours for an ambulance to arrive .in town! ... By that point I'd got the wife to fetch the bothy tent from my walking kit to keep the lady warm .....
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Paracord1945

Post by Paracord1945 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:26 pm
Paracord1945 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:31 pm a basic first aid kit that you can customize to suit your needs for your pockets possibly, I have seen many YouTube videos of wallet sized first aid kits. Just type in wallet sized IFAK, Individual First Aid Kit that stands for.
It's hard to fit a decent first aid kit in a small pouch ... A decent bandage is that size...

The mini kits and most that are in the high Street chemist shops are what I'd describe as a bo boo kit ok for a graze or small cut but most don't cover more that that... If you think shtf you might struggle to get an ambulance you'll need more kit...

If I'm walking into town I'll carry one (bo boo kit) but more than that I'll carry a more comprehensive kit... Why because last time I found a casualty it took 4! Yes four hours for an ambulance to arrive .in town! ... By that point I'd got the wife to fetch the bothy tent from my walking kit to keep the lady warm .....
Hello and thankyou for your input and your take on this conversation yes a boo boo kit I was referring too. I do carry a medium sized IFAK in my rucksack everywhere I go and I am never too far from a first aid kit. Glad you helped that lady.