What knives do you recomend?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
axelt123

What knives do you recomend?

Post by axelt123 »

What knives do you recomend for survival?

axel
Bulldog

Re: What knives do you recomend?

Post by Bulldog »

It really is personal choice.

Mora Frost are great knives and for about a tenner you cant go wrong.
http://www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk/acat ... nives.html

You might also want to consider a heavy duty knife suitable for chopping and other tasks.
For this a knife with a full tang is best , avoid the cheap Rambo type knives as they are crap and not strong enough for hard field use.
I like useing a kukri for heavy use and a Mora for skinning and tasks where a small blade is needed.
mike.f

Post by mike.f »

Agreeing with NR on any knife you have on you when you need it! Solution to this is to always carry a knife!

As bulldog said Mora make great budget knives

My recommendations would be:

Fixed Blade

Frosts/Mora make a very good budget knife. Stainless steel loves to be left in the bottom of a pack with minimal care unlike carbon steel.
http://www.heinnie.com/product.asp?strP ... tRecord=13

If you got a higher budget Fallkniven make great knives. I recommend the F1. Its issued to quite a few special forces, has excellent edge retention and is basically a pry bar with a razor sharp edge.
http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Fallknive ... 2-139-963/

Folding Knifes

EKA make very good folders the Swede 8 is my latest toy and comes highly recommended.
http://www.heinnie.com/product.asp?strP ... rtRecord=1
Carrot Cruncher

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

I picked up a Mora Frost a couple of months ago and am very impressed with it. For a tenner you cant go wrong but you might want to get a new sheath for it. For Folding knives I have a multitude of SAK's, some of which are too bulky for general everyday use / trouser pockets but are stashed in various bags, others small enough to fit on my keyring

CC
axelt123

Post by axelt123 »

thanks
Meyou

Post by Meyou »

I'm with the others on the Mora's, very cheap, and very reliable. Got given a Mora Viking a while back by a friend, Carbon Steel for £2.50! Also got a Clipper for a tenner at the outdoor show, stainless steel, sits in my bag waiting for rainy days.

For Folders, I have a soft spot for Opinels. Nice an cheap, under a tenner for most of them.
Erik

Post by Erik »

for all you folks who always carry a knife...
familiarize yourself with current uk offensive weapons legislation.
in a nutshell, its not legal to carry ANY bladed article/knife/weapon in public without Good Reason in this country at present.
any knife at all with a locking blade is illegal in all circumstances.
in public includes in your bag or in your pocket, and the item does NOT have to be on public display.
this idea of Good Reason is a completely grey-area term that has no firm legal definition and is up to individual interpretation.
the whole thing is a complete shambles, but can be enforced at any time.
bigpaul

Post by bigpaul »

I am of an age when every male carried a pocket knife of some kind and nobody thought it was strange, as i got older i joined the boy scouts and a folding knife was part of our uniform!
Carrot Cruncher

Am I still correct in assuming that a folding blade of less than 3" is ok to carry ? I know that always used to be the guide but things may have changed.

CC
Carrot Cruncher

Thanks NR, so one of the smaller SAK folders and a bit of common sense as to where you carry it would generaly be ok.

Last year I went to France on the Motorbike and got stopped and asked if I was carrying any sharp objects as I was getting on the Ferry. I automatically said no, totally forgetting the SAK micro hanging on the keyring in the bikes ignition, The SAK Camper in my jeans pocket, and the SAK Card (complete with a small fixed blade knife) in my wallet :lol:

Thankfully they didn't bother to search me

CC