Hi there

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Jeffjones297

Hi there

Post by Jeffjones297 »

My name is Jeff, I'm a new member and new to prepping, I have 34 yrs experience in nursing in various roles.
I'm here to learn and share, like most I'm concerned the way things appear to be deteriorating and am trying to ensure the future and safety of my family.
I consider prepping a question of the balancing the following, in the event of emergency or society breakdown.

Food
Water
Heating
Cooking
Health
Transport
Safety
Communication

They breakdown into subcategories but they are the ones to manage, in an iff grid, or intermittent grid situation.

Storing food is all well and good but is no good if you don't have access to water and a means of cooking etc etc.

Electricity, gas, fuel for cars, could all be a problem and need consideration. As does heating in winter.

Luckily, we live in the countryside, in our own house, which has a reasonable sized garden in a relatively secure area, a good base ! We have at attached garage and giant shed, which makes storage not a problem. Luckily finance is not a problem either.
bobble

Re: Hi there

Post by bobble »

Welcome from Merseyside 😃
Jeffjones297

Post by Jeffjones297 »

Thanx, I'm from rural Norfolk. As a Yorkshireman I met fishing a few yrs ago (he was in holiday) described it, "it's like going back to the 60-70's here"
And that's just the way we like it lol 🤣
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Hello Jeff, welcome to the forum - sounds like you've got your living situation sorted really well, which is a fantastic start. And you also sound like you'll fit right in, those categories are very much what we focus on here.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Hi and welcome. You sound like you are in a good starting position. Don't be shy.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Hi, welcome, I was going to say you missed finances off your list, but you mentioned it at the end. I would also add fitness, although I'm no athlete.
deckard

Post by deckard »

Welcome
Jeffjones297

Post by Jeffjones297 »

Hi again, re fitness. It's something I'm taking care of, I've lost 11kg since October and plan to lose another 19kg by summer.
Atm I'm doing bodyweight exercises and walking, I plan to add in some gentle weights in a week or two.
I've kept fit since my twenties but stopped when I retired at about 60, by 67 (my age now) I was well and truly fat n ****.
I have a dodgy hip, so I have to be careful but losing weight and keep fit all helps.
I was shocked how much I had deteriorated, after a lifetime of keep fit.
On a holiday with my daughters two yrs ago, I was puffing n panting wherever we went and couldn't walk far because of my hip.
That's changing and rightly so, I now cook all my food at home from fresh ingredients and don't eat crap.
Eventually, I plan to grow veg in the back garden n maybe keep a couple of chickens.