Stash Veg Now!

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
diamond lil

Stash Veg Now!

Post by diamond lil »

Pal up north in the farming community telling me to buy up dried veg NOW. Says the cold & wet has been the worst for many years, everything failing even tatties. Not enough sun. The cattle are on silage, grass isn't growing in fast enough to keep them fed. In July!!! Unheard of. So get some nice big bags of dried mixed veg in, it makes superb soup and thickens stews no end.
Arzosah

Re: Stash Veg Now!

Post by Arzosah »

Oof. I've just ordered a bulk delivery of oats, and I have quite a lot of dried beans etc, since I'm veggie. Better get a bit more in ... disturbing that you're hearing it straight from the farmers :(
GillyBee

Re: Stash Veg Now!do

Post by GillyBee »

That does sound worrying. I will review my stocks and order early. Seems to be happening to everything. Cocoa and coffee are both disaster harvests too. Not so bad for luxuries - they double in price you just have to make do with less but when it is basics like the tatties it will be a real problem for many
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Thanks for the heads up.

Those with links to good suppliers please add them below.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/6018958 ... 2927058363

1000g mixed veg ( no pots) for £21.99
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

diamond lil wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 11:25 am Pal up north in the farming community telling me to buy up dried veg NOW. Says the cold & wet has been the worst for many years, everything failing even tatties. Not enough sun. The cattle are on silage, grass isn't growing in fast enough to keep them fed. In July!!! Unheard of. So get some nice big bags of dried mixed veg in, it makes superb soup and thickens stews no end.
I believe it! On my rounds, I've seen lots of flooded fields over a few months. What crops I do see growing are late starting and not at all abundant. Allotments, not just mine, are not getting enthusiastically tended because of the weather and a few have been surrendered at my site.

Of course, there will be a knock on impact with food inflation spilling out to drive restaurants and hotels and pubs out of business.

Anyone got any good sources of dried veg?
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

I have been happy with the Old India range od products on that big river company. The kibbled onion is great for any recipe where you have to brown the onions and then add liquids. It browns in no time at all if you dont rehydrate first and is now a camping/emergency/lazy day staple. I will bulk up my stock of that. We tried a mixed veg from BuyWholeFoods online - it reminded me of the ones you used to get in the supermarket and did not go down very well with my mob. I ended up grinding it to powder for use in a stock powder mix. I might buy seperate carrots, peas, celery, onion to make my own blend. Tomato powder always clumps and is a pain to use. It also seems to be bitter/sour wherever I get it from. I have some dried sweet pepper - this can be from online or your local Middle East supplier and it would help bulk out a curry but not much else.
If I can find space I may try to get some sauerkraut in for the winter and other jarred produce.
bobble

Post by bobble »

Thanks for the info! 😃
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

UK had more rain than usual this winter/spring. It's not been cold though. It might seem cold, but thermometers don't lie. BBC says March, April and May were warmer than normal. May and meteorological spring were hottest on record for the UK. First two weeks of June were 2° cooler than average. But then it got warmer than average, so average for the month was only 0.4° below average. June wasn't wet, it was drier than average.
Mad Scientist

Post by Mad Scientist »

Thanks for the heads up Lil! Glad I defrosted the fridge/freezer I can actually open all the drawers now. Just in time to fill up with veggies!
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

We have grown little this year due to various personal circumstances. Our fruit bushes have not done as well as the last two years, cucumbers in the greenhouse are not growing well at all as there has been little sun and it has been so dark here in the NW and the tomatoes which seemed to be doing well seem to have lots of flowers but little fruit, the peppers also are not doing so well. Will stock up on frozen and dried stuff. I do like asparagus but cannot seem to find a supplier for freeze dried anywhere.
Growing old disgracefully!