Cash Storage Options

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Pers5579

Cash Storage Options

Post by Pers5579 »

Hi All,

One of my considerations is around cash. As the world has become more "digital" in the approach to cash what worries me is that in any number of events (national power outage, cyber attack, etc) there is a possibility of being unable to use/accept debt/card/online transactions.

The obvious solution is to stuff some cash in an envelope in the bottom of the wardrobe for a rainy day. Unfortunately I am not disciplined enough to use this method so I'd like to put my cash in some kind of container where I can fill it with around a grand in notes and not be able to access it whenever the window cleaner calls or the kids need a tenner for something!!!!

Do you have any recommendations of something I could use?
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Cash Storage Options

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

A wooden ruler is cheaper...keep it by the envelope and give yourself a whack.

two if you take anything out.:mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Bear in mind that your contents insurance might not cover a grand, mine only covers money up to £500. Metals is different, no limit apart from £2K single item or collection. Personally I only keep about £200 or so in money and a few small coins in metals. I do have a few K in two separate easy access or limited access (6 times a year) accounts, different companies to my current account, not accessible on phone apps.

I use the money for window cleaner and hair cuts. Sometime for other stuff, eg a small tradesman job. Virtually everything is card these days. If I use some for a tradesman I replace it asap. For larger jobs I'd have to use bank transfer anyway. I keep the £200 on me most of the time. I might leave some at home if I go out in town for an evening. I might use some for a taxi, but even those mostly use cards now I think. Some still take cash.