Dog food?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Dogmeat

Dog food?

Post by Dogmeat »

Anyone with a dog prepping for them too? We have a small amount of dog food set aside but i was wondering what he could eat in a survival situation? Ive heard of people feeding heir animals boiled hame entrails but i dont know if thats practical? We have a large belgian shepard and he seems to eat all day long so i think this will be an issue post shtf. Any tips?
jansman

Re: Dog food?

Post by jansman »

Justkeep stacking that dog food deep! We have plenty for ours, in fact all our stock. Last thing you want is stressed out animals as well as people-and just like people, you need to feed familiar foods.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jeff1966

Post by jeff1966 »

We too have Belgium shepherds and yes they also love to eat, watched a program the other week and the American prepper seemed to be planning on eating the same food as his dog. He recons it was OK to do. Now are dogs are on a dry food diet and I just don't Know if I would fancy that myself I would need to be at desperation stakes by then I think. But yes will definitely be storing bags of nosh for the pets.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

I agree dog food, cat food, cat litter are all part of our prepping, cats in particular can get very ill and even die if you try and feed them evrything we eat, another concern for you is your dogs toilet needs, every dog we have had is trained to go in our own yard, to the point that some of them wouldn't go anywhere else, one xmas we decided to spend at my Mother's house ( same town) took the dogs with us and finnished up having to return earlier than we had intended, because whilst both the Rottie and the CKC spaniel would pee going out for a walk when despaerate enough, the Rottie went almost 36 hours, I only wish I'd had the camera when we got home, she was in and at the back door in a flash and if you can imagine the relief on a dogs face...never did it again ;)
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Optimystic

Post by Optimystic »

Plymtom wrote:I agree dog food, cat food, cat litter are all part of our prepping, cats in particular can get very ill and even die if you try and feed them evrything we eat, another concern for you is your dogs toilet needs, every dog we have had is trained to go in our own yard, to the point that some of them wouldn't go anywhere else, one xmas we decided to spend at my Mother's house ( same town) took the dogs with us and finnished up having to return earlier than we had intended, because whilst both the Rottie and the CKC spaniel would pee going out for a walk when despaerate enough, the Rottie went almost 36 hours, I only wish I'd had the camera when we got home, she was in and at the back door in a flash and if you can imagine the relief on a dogs face...never did it again ;)
Alomost had the same issue with our two.. tho thankfully they have now got over their blushes and will number 1&2 anywhere except the park or the street!
Didnt even have to train them to do it at home, its just what they prefer to do.

Re: Food.
We have 3 cats and 2 dogs and each week we try and buy an extra pack of 6 or 12 cans and a bag of biscuits.. luckily none of ours are fussy eaters and are happy enuff with the cheaper stuff as well as the pricier.. so we mix and match it, one day they get a cheap tin, the next a more expensive one.. one day they just get biscuits, the next might be cheap Offal weve picked up in tesco. They also like veggies and fruit! Weirdos!..lol
They have a bowl of fresh water in the house and rain water out in the garden and happily drink both.. ive also started to stock up on pet medicines, esp for things like upset tummys. nothing worse than being confined indoors for a while with a dog that has diarhea!
moocher

Post by moocher »

Our Lhasa puppy will happily eat leftovers from the kids.
The American bulldog is gluten intolerant and is sick if fed biscuit/kibble and bread,that gets fed raw meat and bones from a butcher.so I don't know what to do about her if it went all Peter tong.
Alleycat

Post by Alleycat »

Dont forget to store flea treatments, worming tablets etc :)
Alleycat

Post by Alleycat »

double post :oops:
unsure

Post by unsure »

my german shepard will only eat cheap food , he likes the webox sticks and small bite mixer .at 4 quid for a box of 8 , its easy to store for him . i think if i gave him dry food he`d just not eat it .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
edward.21

Post by edward.21 »

i know it wont be to everyones taste but we are raising rabbits to feed our 3 border collies. you can keep enough to feed your dogs all the time and a family of four three days a week in an an average sised garage.

good luck and good prepping