Bug out pod

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
dragonflyer

Bug out pod

Post by dragonflyer »

I have a small open topped trailer, about 75cm by 100cm, which I am planning to convert to a bug out pod by extending the height and closing the top. I wondered if anyone has any advice as to the dos and don'ts of my plan. Any hints as to what equipment to include. As it is unbraked I will want to keep the total weight down to under 250kg of which approximately 40kg will be the weight of the trailer.
metatron

Re: Bug out pod

Post by metatron »

dragonflyer wrote:I have a small open topped trailer, about 75cm by 100cm, which I am planning to convert to a bug out pod by extending the height and closing the top. I wondered if anyone has any advice as to the dos and don'ts of my plan. Any hints as to what equipment to include. As it is unbraked I will want to keep the total weight down to under 250kg of which approximately 40kg will be the weight of the trailer.
I have made bike parts and remote control aircraft in the past (other things as well lol) the biggest word of advice I can give you is weight builds up very fast. Bolts and wire are not light items.

Tig welding is an art form one of which takes years to perfect, working with aluminum is not easy, wood is heavy and requires more fixings and coatings, even paint adds up when you want to go light.
12mp82

Post by 12mp82 »

Might be easier to either construct an entirely new trailer or buy a bigger one. :mrgreen:
Stop, Read, absorb, understand, reply.

poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Since you haven't said whick make of trailer you have , the cheap small ones from halfords have both side extensions an fiberglass covers , which can increase the load space and add security to it as the covers are abs

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165734

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165734

Just a thought
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
metatron

Post by metatron »

Easiest and cheapest way to do it as the trailer is probably made of galvanised steel would be to bolt some poll supports to both sides and rent a pipe bender and bend some aluminum pipe, to produce a covered wagon type of effect. Buy some technical outdoor nylon to make the cover.

Something like that, I'd also make a regular cover so you can take it down and store the polls/cover in transit, then just put it up when you need it.
unsure

Post by unsure »

you could all ways start again and get a small trailer tent .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Magenta16v

Post by Magenta16v »

I have a trailer .. (used to use it for my dj sideline ) and i store water in it, its in my front garden but i fitted a trailer tow bar ball to my house wall ,, and have it locked. Wife wants me to sell it but i know i will need it one way lol
We Must learn all the skills that we have Forgotten