Dig to survive

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Scablifter

Dig to survive

Post by Scablifter »

Government minister gives stark warning of what lies ahead.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... -says.html
Plymtom

Re: Dig to survive

Post by Plymtom »

The trouble with that is our weather, in as much as try as we might in the last few years harvests would have been low, this year shows little sign of being much better, I have been looking at where stuff comes from for a long time now and it's crazy how it can be viable to get the stuff here, so yes we should grow more.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

Damn fine article. Kinda makes me ask the question: Should I buy tines of food or tonnes of cheap mini poly tunnels ?
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

If I had land even though diging kills my back and would play havoc with the arthritus, I would want to lean toward growing as much stuff as possible, and learning to store as much of any surplus as I could, in a terraced house with a small yard that's a pipe dream.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Plymtom wrote:If I had land even though diging kills my back and would play havoc with the arthritus, I would want to lean toward growing as much stuff as possible, and learning to store as much of any surplus as I could, in a terraced house with a small yard that's a pipe dream.
Have a look at this chap's site. You might be able to grow more than you think.

http://www.container-gardening-for-food.com/
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
junmist

Post by junmist »

Thanks for that Brambles have booked marked it to read later :)
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
TwoDo

Post by TwoDo »

I certainly think that article is likely to be accurate. What it doesn't point out is that there is a big problem with the idea of Victory Gardens. I've said this before here - but possibly it is worth repeating.

We will see shortages of food as the article states - I fully expect this day will come. The entire country will then remember hearing about victory gardens and decide to "put in a garden" and grow their own. Imagine what happens when hundreds of thousands of families simultaneously have the idea that they should be be out digging up the 1 inch of topsoil they call a lawn and begin growing veggies. This will immediately cause a shortage of just about everything garden related. Shovels, hoes, wheelbarrows, fertilizer etc. all of this will become unobtainable very quickly.

However as limiting as a shortage of tools and supplies might be, the real problem is with seeds. The current supply is set at the current levels of demand. A massive surge in demand would decimate the available supply of seeds. Most would be wasted, of course, since gardening is a skill, and a productive garden takes years to prepare. Most of the new starters simply will not have the skills, knowledge or the soil quality to successfully produce even a fraction of their own food. However, in their desperation to put in a garden what they will do is ensure no seed is available even to experienced gardeners who already have a prepared plot. It is entirely possible that one could be an experienced gardener and not be able to plant a garden that year due to a shortage of seed.

I never throw away the remnants of the previous years packets. They seeds are usually viable (it depends on the plant) but you can get a lower germination rate. I order my seeds in the late autumn to ensure that I have a supply to hand. I also practice seed saving (not as easy as it seems) with a view to producing my own supply of seeds and some to give away.

IMHO one should "prep" seeds in exactly the same way one lays in preps of food and other supplies. I think it unwise to expect seeds to be continuously available - relying on the seed companies is the same, to my mind, as relying on the supermarkets.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Question about seeds. Well, two actually!

How should I store them?

Will they be viable after the date that is stamped on the packet?
junmist

Post by junmist »

itsybitsy wrote:Question about seeds. Well, two actually!

How should I store them?

Will they be viable after the date that is stamped on the packet?
I normally just fold the foil seed packets over a couple of times pop them back into the normal seed packet and put them in an old ice cream tub and I just keep reusing them until they stop coming. I have just managed to get 5 parsnips seeds up from two year old seed packet :o which isn't bad considering you are not suppose to keep them. I never bother about the date on the packet, if weed seeds can last for seven years in the ground until they germinate I'm sure the plants we sow can do the same.
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

I'd like to get in a good stock of unopened packets - trying to get the longest 'Plant Before Date' that I can. I am hoping that storing in them in optimum conditions (if feasible) will elongate their lifespan. But I don't know what optimum conditions are!