Ideal habitat for survival long term.

Homes and Retreats
happyhacker

Ideal habitat for survival long term.

Post by happyhacker »

I was musing over where would be the best place to be away from possible "attack" should food become really scarce and gangs started to roam the countryside for supplies (i.e. robbing, shooting and rape, etc.). I would think that after a month of no food gangs from towns would begin to appear in the semi-urban/rural areas. They would of course use 4x4s to move about and they would have weapons of some sort.

I would surmise about 20 miles from the nearest large town and only small villages in between to "soak up" the initial wave of "foragers".

Any thoughts welcome.
Ollyr

Re: Ideal habitat for survival long term.

Post by Ollyr »

I would consider a much more covert option my self, hidden but not far from residential areas. This is as you said these people would be looking for food therefore they wouldn't presumably be combing through every patch of woodland that they see as this would be inefficient for them. You'll see them coming as they won't worry about hiding so can escape yourself.

There's no point being in the middle of no where because they have 4x4s and will often be able to drive near enough anywhere, plus you'll struggle to survive for an extended period of times unless you are an excellent bush man.
First in, last out.

Area 2, when SHTF that's when you'll care about surviving.
sg4

Post by sg4 »

For me its deep in the woods far from anything. Living in the dense parts were no vehicle or person goes and hunting to survive. Close to a river for some traps to get some variety till a lot of people have died off
Ollyr

Post by Ollyr »

Sg4 do you regularly go out and live in the woods off only what you can hunt?
First in, last out.

sg4

Post by sg4 »

I got kids so no chance but when i go hunting normally bag plenty of pidgeons and rabbits. Enough for a few days food.
Ollyr

Post by Ollyr »

I don't think any of us would realise how hard it is until your sleeping out in the woods for months without luxurys or just eating meat because your bread and biscuits will run out eventually...
First in, last out.

Triple_sod

Post by Triple_sod »

To be honest I reckon it's impossible to really know how such a situation would play out,

Looking at it purely mathematically though, the further away from the big cities you are the better.

London had an official population of 8,174,100,

Lets say 80,000 of them decide to try there luck in the country
40,000 for whatever reason only make it 20 miles
25,000 make it 50 miles
10,000 make it 70 miles
4,000 make it 100 miles
and only 1,000 make it further than that.

Well if your 150 miles from the capital then you only have to worry about an element of 1,000 (for arguments sake 400) rather than the original 80,000,
and the further out from the centre you are, the wider the area hence the lesser the probability of them traveling in exactly the right direction to hit your position.

Not to mention the further they have to travel before they hit you the more likely they are to run into someone else prepared to put up a fight.
They might have a 4X4 and a shotgun or even illicit handguns but there are plenty of people in the countryside with access to heavy machines, large reserves of red diesel, high powered rifles.....If they're hitting a place every few days to get food/fuel the chances are good one day they'll hit somewhere that'll hit back.
Ollyr

Post by Ollyr »

Unless you can get to the top of the high lands lets face it your not going to be 100 miles from a major city, and you can fully expect these people to have all arrays of weapons however I would expect them to be rather conservative on the ammo (maximum amount for a shotgun is only what 5000 in rare cases) you can't get away from the problem so why try to?
First in, last out.

spindrift

Post by spindrift »

Personally id say your estimates are out by a zero. Think nearer 800,000 move out of the city, and i think even thats being optimistic. Plus you get 100 miles from the city, your not taking into account the other large cities/conurbations where people would do the same. This country really is too small to really have a chance of getting away from people. And those deep dark woods everyones so fond of bugging out to. Once the power goes out what do you think people will be burning?

Personally in this kind of scenario id be looking at a small island somewhere, especially if theres few or zero bridges. Your chances of being swamped are limited by the access. And even then the numbers would be limited by the capacity of any boats used.
"A mind without purpose will walk dark places"
www.facebook.com/somethingborrowedbykelli
Ollyr

Post by Ollyr »

I like that Idea spindrift go live on an island somewhere, think you'd struggle to live off just what you can fish and hunt on the island but it would be a compromise for the safety of it
First in, last out.