Wind up /solar radio

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
dazthechippy

Wind up /solar radio

Post by dazthechippy »

hi all first post here and a straightforward one i hope, just to get me in the groove of things...

So any reccommendations for a wind up radio?. i looked at some that have a torch and usb type charger in for about £20 but tbh ive no idea if its worth having one at home just in case there may be some information transmitting..

your thoughts appreciated..
pseudonym

Re: Wind up /solar radio

Post by pseudonym »

Please pop over and leave an intro telling us a little about yourself. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
dazthechippy

Post by dazthechippy »

already done, hope its still there ??
stevegray

Post by stevegray »

I've got one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002D9FKDS. It's quite small, not particularly loud, but I think it would do the job in an emergency.
Magenta16v

Post by Magenta16v »

^^^ I have the above too . Battery lasts for ages .
We Must learn all the skills that we have Forgotten
dazthechippy

Post by dazthechippy »

thanks both, that's the sort of thing i'm looking at - being quite new to this I'm trying to prioritise and not wanting to be like a kid in a sweetshop on gadgets. I reckon that it's all gotta be kept as simple as it can. Main thing is deciding what to buy first. Considering all things I think that a radio like this will be good for post event as i really cant see the govt sharing the truth on the pre event side of things...
Mr.S

Post by Mr.S »

I was looking for one as well. Now I've ordered one! And because I couldn't resist I got some sea rations... Just incase it floods or something :/
EddieEnzyme

Post by EddieEnzyme »

That's a coincidence, I've been sniffing around for one of these radios for a while and have finally settled on a Degen DE13 - £15 from Amazon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhmDJNWiZDQ
stevegray

Post by stevegray »

Nice one Eddie. The Degen DE13 looks excellent.
dazthechippy

Post by dazthechippy »

my little Degen wind up solar radio arrived today from singapore -box was a bit squashed but considering it only came in a jiffi bag its intact and working well so far. With a limited test period im happy so far.

one other point -do we in the uk have an emergency broadcast frequency or statiom ? i guess not but if it all went south you just have to scan the dial till you get something right?