Walkie Talkies

happyhacker

Walkie Talkies

Post by happyhacker »

I am thinking about requirements for future purchase. I guess the more expensive set would have the greater power and therefore range. Motorola seems to be the manufacturer around longest. Anyone a view (or using with good effect) and could recommend?
poppypiesdad

Re: Walkie Talkies

Post by poppypiesdad »

moto xtn 446 , good quality , good range but expensive , might be better off with some cb's

j
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
hobo

Post by hobo »

I went for Intek 5050's, as they can, in a WROL situation be modified to 4w from the current legal .5w. Got a couple of long antennae for improved communication.

For day-to-day, very short range, we use binatone 750 walkie talkies.

Over and out :D
happyhacker

Post by happyhacker »

What's a "WROL situation" and how are the mods made? OK, seen it now should think before I repost! The 5050s look large so not ideal for day2day use but OK I guess for emergency use. Where would one get a 4W device in the UK?
Attack Warning Red

Post by Attack Warning Red »

I was looking into 446 radios a few years ago. There was a top brand who's name escapes me now, but each handset was around £90 I think...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
metatron

Post by metatron »

PMR446 is PMR446, there is no point dropping the money on a name brand radio for some better plastics, maybe a scan feature for the channels. Just buy a cheap pair or a few cheap pairs. If you want a radio with more power get a BaoFeng UV-5R for £30 of Amazon which is 5 watts and needs no mods, just type in the PMR446 frequencies and save them off, you can limit the power too, by putting it on low power setting. If you want to go smaller the Baofeng UV-3R is about the same money but only puts out 2 Watts.
hobo

Post by hobo »

happyhacker wrote:What's a "WROL situation" and how are the mods made? OK, seen it now should think before I repost! The 5050s look large so not ideal for day2day use but OK I guess for emergency use. Where would one get a 4W device in the UK?
WROL = without rule of law
eBay have 4w ones but these are illegal to use in the UK but, as far as I know, legal in Europe!
Mod instructions to the .5w ones are available through a quick google search.

Hobo
Ollyr

Post by Ollyr »

If you end up talking to someone random on your radio don't use 'over and out' its the most annoying contradiction if your trained on radio use :cry: :lol:
First in, last out.

Area 2, when SHTF that's when you'll care about surviving.
Paul_H

Post by Paul_H »

Ollyr wrote:If you end up talking to someone random on your radio don't use 'over and out' its the most annoying contradiction if your trained on radio use :cry: :lol:
OMG !!!!!! is it ever, I teach radio use and also how to get the best out of radios for small to medium sized groups and the amount of times I get " but thats what they say in the movies" and then I spend 20 minutes trying to argue the point with them :(
madgaz

Post by madgaz »

I went for the Baofeng. Cracking little set for the money.
Programmed to PMR channels into respective channels on the Baofeng, then just scan for other frequencies. I can pick up a taxi firm from about 30 miles away!!! and then quite a few local things.
Just remember you can't transmit on anything other than PMR unless licensed, but doubt it'll be of much importance when in a SHTF situation.

Don't suppose you have any good links to radio etiquette? Or maybe a top ten must not and must do's?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Prior Preparation and Planning Prevents Pi55 Poor Performance.
Two is one, one is none.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
Madgaz, Area8. Message me?