Possible winter power outs

How are you preparing
Oldarborman

Possible winter power outs

Post by Oldarborman »

This week I am updating my bugging in power out kit, when the lights go out I have my box ready with these inside,
4 boxes of candles
Batteries for my torches
Hand warmers
Paraffin
Lamps
Powdered milk
Blankets
Matches and lighter
Camping stove
Spare gas
AREA 10
unsure

Re: Possible winter power outs

Post by unsure »

all the above , with the exception off parrafin are were i can get at them but not all in the same place .
candles and match`s are behind the door in a box , the torch`s and batterys are on a shelf in the corner of the spare room as are most other things we need
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

My kit is currently all over the joint, but I'm starting to like a separate box for particular pieces of kit - hygiene, for example. And I like this power one too, with the exception that I want a little candle and a box of matches in every room, or at least no more than 15 feet away from me, at any time - power cuts at 11pm at night are just *so* unfunny :shock: plus a couple of torches are in my bug-out-in-60-seconds-in-case-of-house-fire bag :)
munchh

Post by munchh »

I have a similar box and a couple of different parafin lamps, but dont do what i did and put any citronela candels in a sealed box with anything that you dont want tainted, i double wrapped those little buggers and everything in the box stinks of citronela, i stupidly put a couple of spare ali water bottles in there!
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

I have loads of candles,some in every room,problem is everyone keeps pinching the matches, so I have to hide a stash of them. two parrifin hurricane lamps and an oil lamp. rechargerable torches which I try to keep charged and wind up torches which aren't much good but if batteries run out better than nothing.
Heat is my biggest problem,I have a mobile gas fire and a spare cylinder but that won't last long if it's really cold and power out for long time, roll on the day I find my own home,will definiately have at least a wood burner. Have a bottle gas cooker so as long as the gas lasts I have hot water bottles which will help keep me warm ( shove one down your jacket, helps keep you toasty for ages.
I have just bought some hot pads for gloves and footwear, disposable heat that lasts about 5-8hours. haven't used them but bought them for bob.
maxilaura

Post by maxilaura »

I have been quite lazy with my preps for the past couple of months, but last week realised that winter will be here before we know it and I need to get stuff sorted out so that I am not caught short by my own laziness.

I have listed a couple of challenges for myself for the next couple of months, and "lights out" is Septembers challenge - to sort out all my candles, check the batteries work, put them into some sort of container etc etc. cause my stuff is just all over the place at the moment.
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

Well, my 24 L of commercial bioethanol is still in my bathroom just waiting to be used. i am aware that it wont last all that long, it could be many litres a day to keep the temperature up to where I want it to be in the winter, but it will be ok for some kind of short term issue. i am planning on getting more, money permitting. i still have stuff left over from last winter, but i do want to look out for snow / ice "chains" or similar for my footwear. When we had the ice and snow it was hard to get out as it took about three times as long to get to the shops what with the ice, the black ice, the snow and it was treacherous as b@ggery. As i am pushing forty, it would be a good thing to make sure that i look after my bones that are probably already getting more old and more difficult to heal. The last thing i want to do is to end up in A+E in January in a blizzard.

I also want to top up the first aid kit.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
Charlie 5

Post by Charlie 5 »

Just a gentle reminder to anyone looking at using any sort of hydro carbon fuel to heat their homes in the event of a power outage. Make sure you have a working carbon monoxide monitor and whichever room the heater is in, make sure there is sufficient ventilation - not obvious in the sealed in insulated doubled glazed homes that some of us no doubt live in. Remember Carbon Monoxide is insidious - it can kill you and you wouldn't even know it
If I fail, at least I fail whilst daring greatly, so that my place will never be with those cold and timid souls who have known neither victory or defeat
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote:My kit is currently all over the joint, but I'm starting to like a separate box for particular pieces of kit - hygiene, for example. And I like this power one too, with the exception that I want a little candle and a box of matches in every room, or at least no more than 15 feet away from me, at any time - power cuts at 11pm at night are just *so* unfunny :shock: plus a couple of torches are in my bug-out-in-60-seconds-in-case-of-house-fire bag :)
I have just finished a book 'The Victorian House', the Victorians kept matches near to the candles at all times. Household management books of the time said the householder should be able to create light in no more than 5 seconds-especially in an emergency!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Slazanger

Post by Slazanger »

Has anyone thought about solar ? I know winter is obviously darker, but is there enough sun to recharge enough storage batteries to make it a worth while investment ?

I know it wont be enough for heat but for everything else....