Paintball or BB?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Fred_Bear

Paintball or BB?

Post by Fred_Bear »

Hi,

I have read a few articles on the use of paintball guns as a self defense option for preppers and am considering getting one, but does anyone know of any comparisons between them and BB guns? I understand that some BB guns are as powerful, but I am unsure of any down sides to their use in an emergency.

thanks

Fred
preppingsu

Re: Paintball or BB?

Post by preppingsu »

Legally in the UK we cannot have weapons to use in self defence.

However, paintball I believe is a great fun hobby to have and if you partake regularly you need your own paintball gun.

Please remember that everything that is discussed on this forum needs to be kept within the legal constraints of the law as they stand now.

Thank you.
Maddosammo

Post by Maddosammo »

Fred_Bear wrote:Hi,

I have read a few articles on the use of paintball guns as a self defense option for preppers and am considering getting one, but does anyone know of any comparisons between them and BB guns? I understand that some BB guns are as powerful, but I am unsure of any down sides to their use in an emergency.

thanks

Fred

some BB guns can be strong enough to take out small animals, so against a human you could hypothetically deal some injury that would make them think again, but that is illegal.

Also Paintball guns yeah they hurt and if you play enough you need your own gear, but remember police forces in the USA use pepper rounds fired from similar devises to subdue suspects and again hypothetically you could find things.

Im not going to go further for legality PM me if required.
Sam

Area 9
Rearfang

Post by Rearfang »

May be bluff could be a best freind if your conserned about staying within the law
Scenario intruder downstairs calling out to people who don't exsist like John Paul grab your guns burgler or no phone baracade door and have a loud fictitious call to the police may just scare them off
latrocinium

Post by latrocinium »

A paintball gun for self defence??? What are you defending against? A gang of toddlers?
Seriously, if you want a new toy, just buy one...
Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

I would agree that they are not worth having for defence, consider that a rimfire .22 pistol or rifle is not considered deadly in terms of a gun fight. Sure, these rounds (and BBs for that matter) are dangerous, but they won't stop an attacker.

Worse case scenario is that it aggravates a bad guy or an armed copper. Neither of those is going to end happily.

Edited to add: The mention of .22 rimfire was intended to show how even more powerful weapons than BB or Paintball guns are not considered right for self defence.

If you read this post to mean that BB Guns, Paintball Guns, small bore Firearms, Air Weapons or any other kind of weapon is safe then you are very sadly wrong. People get hurt and killed.

As per all of my other posts on this subject, you must stay within the law of the land and I would hope the law of good sense.
Last edited by Malthouse on Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fred_Bear

Post by Fred_Bear »

Hi

My question was a serious one regarding defense of family/home in the event of a breakdown in society for whatever reason. It was not about being gung ho in the event of burglary etc.

I am new to prepping so perhaps my question was not worded properly, as far as I can see having sufficient supplies etc is not much good without some legal way to put off people who might want to take it if things go belly up. Being in my late 50's (with a bad back) protection post some catastrophic event is an important consideration for me, I have no idea about what is best so was after advice on sensible self protection (and to use for hunting small game?) post an event, not to use in some casual aggressive way as I am not that sort of person. I am very serious in wanting to learn how to be properly prepared while staying within the law and am definitely not some nutter who will embarrass this forum.

thanks

regards

Fred
Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

Fred, neither a BB nor Paintball gun is going to be any use in hunting game. That should tell you all you need to know about using the same for self defence (were the legal framework to allow for it).

Focus on something that will be of use in hunting rabbits, pigeons, etc. That is a legal and prudent pursuit. ;)

To reiterate that this recommendation is for legal hunting small game, with a proper licence etc... I would highly recommend a folding .410 shotgun. They are light and easy to maintain, the cartridges come in a wide variety of powers and shot-size which makes them super versatile.
Fred_Bear

Post by Fred_Bear »

Malthouse wrote:Fred, neither a BB nor Paintball gun is going to be any use in hunting game. That should tell you all you need to know about using the same for self defence (were the legal framework to allow for it).

Focus on something that will be of use in hunting rabbits, pigeons, etc. That is a legal and prudent pursuit. ;)

To reiterate that this recommendation is for legal hunting small game, with a proper licence etc... I would highly recommend a folding .410 shotgun. They are light and easy to maintain, the cartridges come in a wide variety of powers and shot-size which makes them super versatile.
Hi

Thanks for the advice, I assume in the UK that would require a firearms license, I will check out .22 air rifles as at least I can join a club and get in some practice.

regards

Fred
QUAID

Post by QUAID »

Paintball guns for self defence?
I knew someone who lost an eye during a paintball match... Yes they sting a bit when hit with one and yes they will stop you in your tracks if you are hit in the face with one.
However..... Are you gonna walk around with one - probably against the law.
If you are hold up somewhere then they will probably get temporarily put off, but may come back again wearing heavier clothing etc for some payback.
The frozen version of paintballs REALLY HURT! but are you a good enough shot?
Come SHTF its them or you and no in between.