Flint and Steels Fire Lighter

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
paratus

Flint and Steels Fire Lighter

Post by paratus »

Hello one and all,

Just a quick opinion gathering exercise...

I've got a fairly standard flint and steel fire lighter that came with my pre-made survival tin just wondering that if you had some cash to flash tonight and perhaps were internet shopping, what fire lighter would you buy?

The one in the kit is OK but not effective as ones I've seen in the videos I spend my lunch break watching :D

Just fancy and upgrade any recommendations?

As always thank you..
2 is 1, 1 is none
ForgeCorvus

Re: Flint and Steels Fire Lighter

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Right, when you say "flint and steel firelighter" do you mean Flint & Steel (lump of rock and a bit of metal) or a Firesteel (ferrocium rod...Sometimes attached to a magnesium block) or a Sparkwheel ( Like a bit out of a lighter) or a Blastmatch (Spring loaded gadget that only needs one hand).

If we know what you've got we can then come up with other gear
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

cotton wool balls and vaseline firelighters. rub vaseline into cotton wool balls and store with your fire lighting kit. when you come to use them tease out the firelighters to catch the sparks.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
jansman

Post by jansman »

The best 'flint and steel' I have come across is... The disposable cigarette lighter. I have lots I bought from a market , ooh , 8 years ago? They still work. I have one on me always for the wood stoves and bonfire bin outside.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Vespa

Post by Vespa »

jansman wrote:The best 'flint and steel' I have come across is... The disposable cigarette lighter. I have lots I bought from a market , ooh , 8 years ago? They still work. I have one on me always for the wood stoves and bonfire bin outside.
Couldn't agree more. I've got stocks of these, cheap and cheerful.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-DISPOSABLE ... 3cb61af86d

I'd expect them to be good for trading to.

I'm toying with the idea of splashing out and buying some refillable Clipper lighters and a stock of gas. Last for years I imagine.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40-Clipper-Fu ... 2a34a147b6
paratus

Post by paratus »

ForgeCorvus wrote:Right, when you say "flint and steel firelighter" do you mean Flint & Steel (lump of rock and a bit of metal) or a Firesteel (ferrocium rod...Sometimes attached to a magnesium block) or a Sparkwheel ( Like a bit out of a lighter) or a Blastmatch (Spring loaded gadget that only needs one hand).

If we know what you've got we can then come up with other gear
Didn't even realize there was a difference. So specifically, what s the difference/pros & cons between flint and steel and ferrocium rod etc?

Keen to learn! :oops:
2 is 1, 1 is none
Fallschirmwomble

Post by Fallschirmwomble »

paratus wrote:...what fire lighter would you buy?
I thoroughly recommend a BCB "Fireball" ferro rod.

http://www.edcgear.co.uk/ProductDetails ... ode=CN330A
http://www.bcbin.com/products/product_d ... duct=Tools

The ones in those pre-made tobacco tins, to my knowledge, are the small ~3mm thickness rods that are set in a steel holder that allows only half of the rod to be used. They also have a short lifespan. Replace it with one of these 8mm thick rods and it'll serve you for years of regular use.

The Fireball will still fit into a tobacco tin.
paratus wrote:So specifically, what s the difference/pros & cons between flint and steel and ferrocium rod etc?
A ferro rod is a processed flint, much like those in a cigarette lighter. You can drag the back of a carbon steel knife blade, a saw blade or a piece of flint to create hot sparks. A large one (8mm diameter) should be usable for something like 10,000 strikes, if the manufacturers are to be believed.

Flint and steel is the centuries old method which uses a specially tempered piece of steel, a piece of flint and char cloth (effectively charred cotton). The steel is usually "C" shaped to fit around the fingers. The flint is placed against the char cloth and the flint is then chipped at with the steel. The sparks aren't as hot as those from a ferro rod. It's fiddly and not so easy to use. Definitely better to master using a ferro rod before trying this method.

A ferro rod is much more compact and more versatile, especially if you're looking to carry it in a "survival kit".
FW
MMXIV
Winklebury

Post by Winklebury »

The best Fire Steals (Ferro Rods) are the Light my Fire military versions.

I have used several, Primus, the magnesium blocks, the very thin ones, wrapped partially in steal (that you'd get in survival tins) and other generic ones.

The Light My Fire ones (get the military, not the Scout) are the best. The striker is very good, sharp flat edge (saves your knife) and the rod is very thick, and has they approximate to be 12,000 strikes.

I have two. They are a little pricey (circa 14.99-15.99) but I love them, they are tried and true, and I will be buying two more (each one will be permanently stored and dedicated to each of my stoves).

As far as stoves go I love the Primus Omnifuel, but that is a different conversation, but have many stoves, and admire a wide range of manufacturers.

I mention the stove, to demonstrate that I am not just going with a big name (e.g. Primus) for the sake of it. I have tried many and found the Light my Fire to be the best.

Also, the two I have are slightly different. I have a 'mark one' and mark two. The mark one has a larger metal striker, whereas the mark two has a smaller piece of metal, but a thumb piece made of plastic. I was sceptical at first, but now love it. TBH I am not sure which I would choose, but the performance is the same.

You will find different strikers are all very different. The ones provided with the magnesium block style have a saw blade, which eats away very quickly at the ferro rod, and therefore I would avoid this. The magnesium block is a great idea if you are concerned you may be without tinder, but try another striker, even the back edge (still needs to be pretty sharp) of your knife. The Primus ones have three issues. 1.) The rod is thinner than the Light My fire, so has a shorter lifespan. 2. The striker is wavy - not quite serrated, but again fairly aggressive, which leads to faster wear on the rod, and less accurate striking when aiming the sparks. 3. The elastic lanyard is two short, and you have to stretch it every strike which is both frustrating, but also restricts the accuracy of the sparks.

Long story short, Light My Fire

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Light-my-Fire-s ... +firesteel

There should be both old and new models on there. If you are going to be in very cold weather perhaps get the newer versvion, but otherwise, go with the cheapest.

Serious, I know its only a fire steal, but I just love this one!
lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

fire steels are good, I've got about half a dozen, but for easy firelighting its got to be the disposable lighter, I've just added another 50 to my stocks(£6.99 on Ebay-free postage) and I add another pack every 12 months, not only am I using them for firelighting but i'll also be bartering them post SHTF as I figure the 1 thing people will need post collapse is fire!!! and the easiest, almost fool proof, way of lighting a fire is with a disposable lighter.( I suppose at the end of the day" you pays your money and you makes your choice"- I can buy 6 spark strikers for £6.24, for £6.99 I can buy FIFTY disposable lighters!! :lol: )
Last edited by lonewolf on Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adapt or Die, there is no middle ground.
gadgetguy

Post by gadgetguy »

+ 1 for Light My fire Fire steels.

But As Jansman says you cant beat cheap disposable lighters ;)

:)