New Member - West of Scotland on Coast

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
FEISTY

New Member - West of Scotland on Coast

Post by FEISTY »

Hi! Hope this is in the right place. Absolutely new to prepping, although been thinking about it for a while. Will be starting with cans and dried stuff, as I haven't even worked out where to keep stuff. Have garage, but not dry enough. Will be looking for a freezer or two just for rodent-proof garage storage. Really envy people who have basements! Any advice gratefully received. Can anyone point me in the right direction for suitable Armageddon-proof cooking and water-storage? Most of all, my family would think I'm crazy just for being on here and I'm on my own. Are there any meet-up groups in the West of Scotland? Happy to have found this forum at least. Feisty :D
pseudonym

Re: New Member - West of Scotland on Coast

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum.:)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Hiya mate....... Welcome home ;)

Loads of good info on here, and a fairly good 'signal to noise ratio' as well. So I'd recommend reading and using the search function.

That said, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask

Whats your area like (some folks call it your AO)? Urban, Rural or something in between?
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
FEISTY

Post by FEISTY »

ForgeCorvus wrote:Hiya mate....... Welcome home ;)

Loads of good info on here, and a fairly good 'signal to noise ratio' as well. So I'd recommend reading and using the search function.

That said, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask

Whats your area like (some folks call it your AO)? Urban, Rural or something in between?
Hi ForgeCorvus

What's AO - area orientation? Live in village on river coast about 30 miles west of Glasgow. Fairly rural, but not the kind of rural it's easy to disappear into. If you remember your types of town, I would describe this as semi-linear with inland not easy to escape to quickly as we are cut off by hills and cliffs.
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Welcome aboard , trying to get a west meet going there's a few of us , the west seems to be more active , I'm in the east but family still in Glasgow so through often ,

J
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

hi welcome , I'm in north Scotland too (north of Inverness). You'll find the general info and advice amazing and I'm sure you'll be glad you joined. There are a good few Scots who can help with the problems peculiar to our needs as well. Don't worry about asking questions I'm with ForgeCorvus, people here are willing to help and won't tell you you're stupid for asking, only for not. Good luck
FEISTY

Post by FEISTY »

Thanks for the welcomes guys:). A West Coast meet would be great, but don't embarrass me by asking what I've done :). Will be going out to buy a batch of matches, paracetamol and cans today. Got to start somewhere :)! Wanted to buy Nu-Wick candles, but not available here, so looking at long-burning church candles, wind-up torches and wind-up radio. Is there a conversation on the go on here about why people are doing this?
mallie99

Post by mallie99 »

Welcome! There are a lot of threads (with a lot of pages) of conversations about most of the things you are looking for I think. I don't recall anything about Nu-Wick candles, but I'm happy to be wrong!

Might I recommend you look into water filtration as much as water storage? In this lovely continent of ours there is a plentiful supply of water, and water can be heavy to carry if you have to escape your home for whatever reason.
Entirely certain that nothing is certain

damaralenoire

Post by damaralenoire »

hello and welcome
AREA 12

“Life belongs to the living, and he who lives must be prepared for changes.”
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Me again, I think AO is Area of Operation. But I could be wrong

Don't worry about getting the jargon right, we don't all mean the same thing ...... One man's "Bug-Out" is another man's "Evacuation"

Can you fill us in on Nu-Wick candles ?
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar