Expired cans?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
EarlyPrepper

Expired cans?

Post by EarlyPrepper »

I have recently been going through one of my crates and I noticed a large amount of expired canned goods. I already know that the expiration date is really only a suggestion, but how old is too old? Any help would be appreciated, because I really don't want to through it all out in one go.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
-Albert Einstein
preppingsu

Re: Expired cans?

Post by preppingsu »

The only way to know is to try it out.

However, STORE WHAT YOU EAT AND EAT WHAT YOU STORE. So rotate and you shouldn't end up with out of date cans. :|
Rearfang

Post by Rearfang »

Use your taste nose eyes
Does it look ok
Dose it smell ok
Dose it taste ok
Probally is
jansman

Post by jansman »

I recently ate a can of 3 year out of date stew. As long as the can is not burst or bulging-ok.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
SoCal92057

Post by SoCal92057 »

I do not know if they are available in the UK, but in the States we have food available in #10 cans (about the size of a gallon jug) with a shelf life of 25 years. The food is canned with preppers and governments in mind. The food is dehydrated and a system of oxygen depletion or absorption is used. Even though dated for 25 years, I still rotate my stock so that I am consuming things that are never older than about 3 years. The food if very good and each can will have about 10 portions.
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. - Thomas Jefferson
lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

I have never seen those cans over here.
Adapt or Die, there is no middle ground.
EddieEnzyme

Post by EddieEnzyme »

Mountain House.
You can get em off amazon. Not cheap but good quality and long lasting.
They do #10 cans of dehydrated chicken meat and beef mince., which are the ones I have. Rather than stock up on the complete meals, I tend to stock ingredients.

Ive read that canned food has been eaten up to 50 years after it's best before date. Do a quick Google search.
damaralenoire

Post by damaralenoire »

I just ensure that my tins are always kept neatly stacked without the possibility of them toppling and become dented. I have refused deliverys from tescos when tins have turned up dented which is why i strictly do my own shopping these days and scrutinise every tin i purchase, I have used tins of foods past their dates as ingrediants but not as part of main meals and am yet to have had no problems.

A website that offers a bit of relevant advise is

http://unclutterer.com/2013/08/06/unclu ... ned-goods/

“Foods can remain safe to consume for some time beyond sell-by and even use-by dates provided they are handled and stored properly,” says Dr. Ted Labuza, a professor of food science at the University of Minnesota. … Canned foods and shelf-stable goods like salad dressings, Labuza adds, can be consumed for years beyond their expiration dates. While their quality might suffer — for example, emulsified dressings may split — they will not pose a safety hazard unless contaminated. Apart from baby formula and certain types of baby foods, product dating is not even required by federal regulations.
AREA 12

“Life belongs to the living, and he who lives must be prepared for changes.”
SoCal92057

Post by SoCal92057 »

EddieEnzyme wrote:Mountain House.
You can get em off amazon. Not cheap but good quality and long lasting.
They do #10 cans of dehydrated chicken meat and beef mince., which are the ones I have. Rather than stock up on the complete meals, I tend to stock ingredients.

Ive read that canned food has been eaten up to 50 years after it's best before date. Do a quick Google search.
Yes, Mountain House is the product I purchase. There are many other companies, but I believe Mountain House is the largest. About 4 years ago MH was very difficult to find as the demand was very high. I purchase several cans every 3 months or so to keep the stock fresh. I open a can every so often. So far the only one I have not liked is the eggs and bacon. The spaghetti was very good and so was the chili. They also have fruits and vegetables. The MH product in the bags has a shelf life of only a few years. The cans are 25 years. If there is lots of moisture and oxygen in contact with the product you buy at the market, the shelf life is shortened. Also, never eat from a can that is bloated or dented especially near the rim. The bloating is due to decomposition gases. You do not eat from a dented can as the dent may have broken the seal at the lid and sidewall of the can. I live remotely. If the situation required it I could hunt and fish as I have the equipment and skills for both. Remember, only 3 days without water but up to 30 days without food. You will not be in very good shape as you approach 30 days, but water is the more immediate need in a SHTF situation.
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. - Thomas Jefferson
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

The Mountain House foods available in the UK are made in the uk. European Freeze Dry has been freeze drying since 1964, and has grown to become a leading European multi product freeze dryer and provider of bulk freeze drying services to the industry.

European Freeze Dry UK factory is in Preston, Lancashire. http://www.mountainhouse.eu/about-us

45 Roman Way
Longridge Road
Ribbleton
Preston
Lancashire
England
PR2 5BD
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.