Best place to store cans

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
EarlyPrepper

Best place to store cans

Post by EarlyPrepper »

Hey guys, I was just wondering where you guys think is the best place to store tinned food. I have no cellar or basement, and my house it pretty crowded with clutter. Would it be worth it digging a spider-hole? As always, any help would be appreciated.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
-Albert Einstein
preppingsu

Re: Best place to store cans

Post by preppingsu »

Get rid of your clutter and make space. :|
Rearfang

Post by Rearfang »

Lots of unused space under kitchen units remove kick boards
Loft though temps fluctuate a lot ,under bed think outside of the box
EarlyPrepper

Post by EarlyPrepper »

Thanks for the feedback guys, I've de-cluttered and made room for my supplies inside my house
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
-Albert Einstein
FEISTY

Post by FEISTY »

EarlyPrepper wrote:Hey guys, I was just wondering where you guys think is the best place to store tinned food. I have no cellar or basement, and my house it pretty crowded with clutter. Would it be worth it digging a spider-hole? As always, any help would be appreciated.
I haven't done this, but just a couple of ideas:-
Replace coffee table with lockable chest (if you're the type who must move furniture, like me, to hoover underneath, this probably isn't for you :).
A lot of bookcases have deep shelves - put cans behind the smaller books and "face up" the books (if you've ever stacked shelves, you'll know what that means :)).
I have a couple of sets of display boxes (strong, attractively decorated cardboard boxes in three different sizes, which look good stacked on top of/in a unit). Everyone just assumes it's where I keep bits and bobs, ie craft stuff). You could have these out on show, but stuffed full of cans.
A little imagination :).

I was wondering if anyone kept anything in the crawl space under their home?
Wildfire

Post by Wildfire »

preppingsu wrote:Get rid of your clutter and make space. :|
This and there are ways to hide in small places, i have a tiny two bed, no loft etc, but have managed a good 6 months supplies and equipment

Places to hide can be...

Under kick boards in kitchen, put on a tray to pull in and out easier
Behind sofa thats against the wall
Behind fire surrounds if you have electric fire, you can get close 100 tins in there ;)
Behind books on bookshelves, pull books forward
Some toiletries can be stored behind bath panel, wouldn't recommend for things you don't want wet though had a few disasters in there :oops:
Pull wardrobes back a few inches from wall, and you can stack tins high!
Cache's under raised beds or under slabs in or around sheds

Things i have done are...

Bought storage beds, huge amount of space, the ones that base is directly on floor are best Argos's are pants
I have had massive clear outs and gained two junk cupboards which are now larders instead of toy cupboards
I bought wall to wall Ikea units in all rooms, i love em, what a difference it has made, best of all i have a hidden storage behind them, was a 2ft deep waste of space, isn't huge but big enough for me and my children to stand in if we had too.. not that i'm paranoid or anything ;)

One other thing if you have some cupboards in your hall way etc that you can shelf and use, don't put a lock on it just remove the handle, if anyone asks you keep catching yourself on it, but it stops nosy visitors having a look when passing, putting a lock on would draw attention more than a broken handle
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Wildfire wrote:
One other thing if you have some cupboards in your hall way etc that you can shelf and use, don't put a lock on it just remove the handle, if anyone asks you keep catching yourself on it, but it stops nosy visitors having a look when passing, putting a lock on would draw attention more than a broken handle
I found These, Slam lock that you need to open with a cabinet key (like you'd have for a meter cabinet)
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar