bug out location

Homes and Retreats
Big Bear

bug out location

Post by Big Bear »

Hello people.

Is there a rule of thumb as too how far away your bug out location should be.

How many routes to and from should you ideally have.

Thanks in advance
Do not rely on the government for anything, especially your survival
17cumbrianprepper

Re: bug out location

Post by 17cumbrianprepper »

hey buddy im new to the prepping game but imo it should be possible to make it there in under 1 hour and possible to get there by differant means off transport if possible such as foot bike car boat just a few ideas :) hope it helps
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Short answer:
No.

Long answer:
You really should have the right to be any place you're planning on bugging out to, in an ideal world you should have control over that location as well.
You should be able to get your entire bug-out load to that place in one trip.
You should have as many practical alternative routes to get there as possible.
Thing is, in the same way that you never know what disaster you'll be facing, you'll never know how far is too far..... Or how far is not far enough.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Big Bear

Post by Big Bear »

Cheers guys.

Have a few possible locations earmarked.

Will do a few dry runs to see which is the most suitable.

Will obviously pick the most secure location with the most access.

Thanks again
Do not rely on the government for anything, especially your survival
QUAID

Post by QUAID »

It doesnt really matter how far your bug out location is..... as long as:

you can get there
It is out of the 'threat zone' that made you bug out of youre primary property in the first place
you can sustain yourself until you arrive at your BOB
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

Point of interest you should own any land you bug out to, otherwise you could fall foul of civil contingencies regulations as a minimum or at worst get shot by the Land owner or his agent.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

in a SHTF situation, when its WROL, all land and property laws and rules go out the window, the only question you need to ask is: can I take possession of it and can I keep control of it if I do??
Adapt or Die, there is no middle ground.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

lonewolf wrote:in a SHTF situation, when its WROL, all land and property laws and rules go out the window, the only question you need to ask is: can I take possession of it and can I keep control of it if I do??
Only when its TEOTWAWKI, otherwise you will have to answer to the law post Event.

When I say 'control' I mean in a legal sense (you own it, part own it, have a lease on it, etc) not as in "My sniper's nest is there and I can see everything out to the range of my Barrett"

The best defence is not being found
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

yes, when I say SHTF I'm actually referring to TEOTWAWKI when its WROL.
Adapt or Die, there is no middle ground.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Ah, thats why the confusion.
SHTF could include the recent events in Sommerset, the 2011 city riots or (a little further back) Boscastle...... All of these may of required a Bug-out

I don't understand how someone can prep for the Zompocalypse but not for any of those things.... Which actually did happen

Perhaps I need a new hat, because the mind-control rays must be getting through mine :tinfoil :lol: