Canal Boat

Homes and Retreats
Malthouse

Re: Canal Boat

Post by Malthouse »

lonewolf wrote:canals are ok for now but in a post SHTF situation you can be attacked from both banks .
That makes no sense :?

Surely if you are tied up to one bank you have an effective moat on the other three sides?

And you have a way to get to very remote areas, with no road or track access. Or a spot with very good all round visibility....
mallie99

Post by mallie99 »

Like a big lake....
Entirely certain that nothing is certain

lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

most canals you can fire from one bank to the other with the most ineffectual of weapons, even bricks and rocks, locks are another place where you would come under fire and could be held hostage. if you tie up on a bank in a post event you could then be boarded by looters and raiders, better to moor out in the middle, but then as I say you are in range of both banks. also what is your access to fresh water? food growing? I think even food storage is limited in a narrow boat.
Adapt or Die, there is no middle ground.
Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

Can you tell me about some homes that cannot be attacked by armed and equipped marauders?
lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

yeah, the ones you cant find!!! :lol:
Adapt or Die, there is no middle ground.
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

lonewolf wrote:yeah, the ones you cant find!!! :lol:
Another good and informative answer... :roll:
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

lonewolf wrote:yeah, the ones you cant find!!! :lol:
Only if you never leave, go anywhere and you can be found and followed [/paranoia]

BTW, most narrow boats are made of steel and can have tiny windows.... That makes them more secure then any tent or caravan

Boaties have already Bugged Out
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
mallie99

Post by mallie99 »

ForgeCorvus wrote:Boaties have already Bugged Out
Chuckle
Entirely certain that nothing is certain

Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

I would have thought a canal boat was the perfect bug out vehicle, plenty of room for stores, mobile, economic on fuel. Also there are some very remote sections of canals to hide in. No need to search for water.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
edward.21

Post by edward.21 »

having a fair amount of experience with canal boats i've thought long and hard about bugging out to a canal boat. in the end i decided that if its a short term bug out (less than 6 months) its a good idea because you can remain mobile and store as much as you need. once you get into a longer shtf scenario the chances of survival goes down rapidly because canal boats need a lot of maintenance to keep them running well and perhaps even more importantly the canals need constant maintenance that will not be carried out in a shtf scenario.