5 POUND PREPS

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Mustachio

Re: 5 POUND PREPS

Post by Mustachio »

Vebi wrote:
colacup wrote:
Mustachio wrote:
So I boiled up some Smart Price tinned potatoes (14p) and a can of Irsih Stew (33p) so at 47p for my tea I wasn't expecting much but a meal that would keep my family and I alive. I was shocked and stunned to find out that with a pinch of salt and a dash of brown sauce that not only was this not nasty .... but it was absolutely delicious!

thanks i tried this last night and agreed it great and the kids liked it aswell thanks - do anyone know of any tinned food which goes well together
i have done
tinned veg and meat/hotdogs
tinned fish and pasta
tinned pasta with chesse
Was it Daddy's or HP ? ;)
HP, always HP.

Every now and again the Mrs will try to substitute some other cheap crap (or Daddies) and there's just no way. I'm all for value, but there's three things in life that you can't scrimp on. Bread, toilet role and brown sauce!!
twilight_shadow

Re: 5 POUND PREPS///Hmmm

Post by twilight_shadow »

What says that you're going to have time to enjoy your pre-bought disaster goodies? You might have to evacuate before you have a chance to pick up the cans/bags etc. Not suggesting that there is, by any means, anything wrong in stocking up on a few resources. But wouldn't it be a good idea to have a bit of knowledge of how to live off the land and not depend on 'stored' foods... And besides, if you are holed up in your house/dwelling and there are armed scavengers outside waiting to get in and deprive you of your stored items, wouldn't the free-range option be worth knowing about?
preppingsu

Re: 5 POUND PREPS///Hmmm

Post by preppingsu »

twilight_shadow wrote:What says that you're going to have time to enjoy your pre-bought disaster goodies? You might have to evacuate before you have a chance to pick up the cans/bags etc. Not suggesting that there is, by any means, anything wrong in stocking up on a few resources. But wouldn't it be a good idea to have a bit of knowledge of how to live off the land and not depend on 'stored' foods... And besides, if you are holed up in your house/dwelling and there are armed scavengers outside waiting to get in and deprive you of your stored items, wouldn't the free-range option be worth knowing about?
But who says it has to be all about bugging out because all hell has broken loose.

Many on here prep for unemployment and some have been through it. Having preps helps to get through those periods when income is heavily reduced so they will use these £5.00 preps.

Our preps are healing us get through the month of January. Always a lean month not helped by the unplanned purchase of a new fridge to replace the broken one! My shopping has been for a few fresh bits and the rest is being made up by our preps.
Captain Darling

Post by Captain Darling »

http://www.stitchcraftcreate.co.uk/what ... uUb0rBFBLM

Okay so its not a fiver but when I got from The Works before Christmas it was.

Excellent book, covers everything from Household Emergencies (no hot water, leaky toilet/tap/sink) to First Aid and Personal Protection (self defence and avoidance) to Holiday Dramas (theft abroad, arrested abroad, lost passport)

It covers so much in simple to understand terms it has taken pride of place in my every growing library of manuals.
Cutting, combustion, cordage, container, cover.
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

Have just posted about food prepping in another thread, any extra food bought in to prep has to a bonus, it doesn't matter what you are prepping for, collapse of society, food/fuel shortage, unemployment what ever. Sacks of potatoes, not easy to carry but if you are going to stay at your prepstead, they last ages if stored correctly, at the moment pretty cheap to buy (roughly £6 for 25 kilo sack of locals) and if the power is still on, how about frozen food, bags of frozen veg, pretty cheap and nutritious. A fiver a week over a few months will give anyone a good base for food preps and once you have a good supply, that fiver could be used to go towards other stuff, because lets face it, food and water are one of the most important things we need to prep, no matter what we are preparing for. Sorry if i have waffled on here, i tend to do that. :roll:
Up in the wet South Lakeland
ggc

Post by ggc »

Thread revival lol

I stumbled across this thread this morning and have added the following to my weekly ASDA food shop for a grand total of £4.90:

1x tinned spaghetti
1x Irish stew
750g Table salt
Spaghetti pasta 500g
3x 2l still water
1x chicken soup
1x tinned sweetcorn
1x chopped tomatoes
2 x noodles
1x tinned mixed veg
1x garden peas
1x tinned carrots
2x tinned new potatoes
8 hot dog sausages
1kg white rice

It's nearly all Smartprice but I am not fussy at all when it comes to food, and will be even less so if I'm very hungry. My GF is more fussy and although she would eat all of this she wouldn't enjoy it very much. Once I have more of the basics sorted I will spend a bit extra getting the things that I know she enjoys eating. I'd like to thank the OP and other people who have contributed to this thread because thanks to all of you I now have a good few days' worth of emergency food that will fit under the kickboards in the kitchen, with the exception of the water. I am a newbie prepper but now I feel a lot more prepared than the average person.
strayed

Post by strayed »

I popped into Sainsburys after work and got:
4 tins of potatoes £1
5 tins of carrots : £1
5 tins of beans : £1
5 tins of mixed veg : £1
1 kg bag of salt : 30p

I think each week and do this but switch out the different tins, probably meat one week and veg another.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

strayed wrote:I popped into Sainsburys after work and got:
4 tins of potatoes £1
5 tins of carrots : £1
5 tins of beans : £1
5 tins of mixed veg : £1
1 kg bag of salt : 30p

I think each week and do this but switch out the different tins, probably meat one week and veg another.
Good start! Don't forget fruits, pasta, rice and dried potatoes they are cheap and filling and if stored correctly will last years and years.
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

DustyDog wrote:Have just posted about food prepping in another thread, any extra food bought in to prep has to a bonus, it doesn't matter what you are prepping for, collapse of society, food/fuel shortage, unemployment what ever. Sacks of potatoes, not easy to carry but if you are going to stay at your prepstead, they last ages if stored correctly, at the moment pretty cheap to buy (roughly £6 for 25 kilo sack of locals) and if the power is still on, how about frozen food, bags of frozen veg, pretty cheap and nutritious. A fiver a week over a few months will give anyone a good base for food preps and once you have a good supply, that fiver could be used to go towards other stuff, because lets face it, food and water are one of the most important things we need to prep, no matter what we are preparing for. Sorry if i have waffled on here, i tend to do that. :roll:
I saw you sneak in 'prepstead' here :lol:

OK, our local mega Disco has a pharmacy attached (bear with me, this is free prepping) and every so often Discos pharmacy gives away goody bags. The current goody bag (amongst other things) contains
a condom
a drink
two tea bags (I know!)

I always get two, one's for my friend Bruce

The woman behind the counter recognizes me now as I always ask if they have any of the goody bags in every time I shop there!
Knowledge is power
Zero-prepper

Post by Zero-prepper »

I do pretty much the same thing but my budget is 10 pounds a week, things you've bought are good but you should focus on getting some more drinks like water and soft drinks,
Normally I can get about 6 tins of spaghetti for about 2 quid, 6 tins of pasta 1.50, 4 bags of rice 40p each, 12 bottles of water 2 quid and 3 2l of soft drinks for about 1.50 aswell
and then with the rest I tend to keep to buy bits of kit like tarps or firelighters or flint and steel.