Asthma - Long term solutions?

Medical and Healthcare
preppergb

Re: Asthma - Long term solutions?

Post by preppergb »

About 25 years ago a UK University did a bit of research into things that triggered Asthma attacks, the usual most people know about allergies, vehicle particulates, high levels of pollen etc.

But the piece that interested me was the trials they did to reduce the triggers for Asthma in the home, They had a reasonable amount of success by removing all the carpets in a test house, and no using anything made from MDF and certain types of chipboard as apparently both release formaldehyde fumes for up to 14 years after manufacture and formaldehyde is a real baddy for triggering asthma apparently. There was other bits they did like upgrading the amount of ventilation in the test house as modern closed up houses with little ventilation and to much central heating can also trigger attacks.
Holomon

Post by Holomon »

Depending on how badly you suffer from Asthma, there are a few things you can do to help, the main one of course is to stop smoking. Smoking makes asthma so much worse, and if you don't have asthma but smoke, there's a risk it'll be one of those extra goodies you pick up from it.

A large amount of asthma sufferers are over-treated because of things like seasonal variances - it's a disease which is affected by allergens such as pollen counts etc etc so medication can tend to get matched to the worst parts of the year. It's a condition which is also exacerbated by Rhinitis (the fancy name for hay-fever) which a very high proportion of asthma sufferers have, and also 40% of hay-fever sufferers have asthma.
Clinical trials for asthma aren't great, because such a massive cross section of the population suffer from it, so what you get is some fairly general assumptions having to be made, and medication derived from that is kinda going to be like buying one size fits all glasses as opposed to having a couple of snazzy prescription pairs at different strengths for just you.
If you haven't had a tune up for a while, it'll be worth bringing it up with your GP, especially if you're hardly suffering at all now - you may be able to reduce your dosage slightly.

The other thing is how well you manage your exposure to triggers - do you have an asthma plan? Do you know what sets it off and can you avoid those triggers?
If it's pollen, dust, molds, pets etc then limit your exposure as much as possible, if it's medication (aspirin can be a trigger for example), research alternatives.

In terms of alternative medicine etc, it's a tough one. Asthma itself works by reaction to a trigger. So the more air you're hoovering in and out of your respiratory tract the more chance you'll trigger a reaction, which is where the theory on breathing slower comes in. Similarly, if you're unfit, you'll be out of breath more and breathing faster, increasing the risk of triggering an attack. This is where I'd guess things like Yoga etc get their recommendation from...anything that slows your breathing down a bit will help.

As for powerbreathe etc...I'm not sure. I had a quick look at their trial paper, and they used 30 people for their clinical trials, of which 15 were controls and a few dropped out. Not much science behind what they're saying either, it doesn't matter how strong your diaphragm is if your respiratory system is shutting down and spasmatic. A bit like saying bodybuilders are more resistant to tasers.
"The problem with internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their accuracy" - Abraham Lincoln, 1864
preppergb

Post by preppergb »

I don't want to appear contentious but if serious asthma sufferers cannot come up with a suitable treatment that is not reliant on the modern pharma industry then they are going to have to focus on the attack trigger mechanism eg usually air pollution be it diesel particulate or grass pollen or what ever.

The only simple option but not always manageable would be to move away from the higher areas of pollution. That is probably difficult NOW, but after TSHTF and the economy / society has collapsed then moving away from the high spots could be wise, and life saving??

http://www.nouse.co.uk/2014/03/05/uk-to ... tion-fine/

http://www.asthma.org.uk/Blog/children- ... hma-than-i
Holomon

Post by Holomon »

It's a fair point, but pollution is only one of a potential shopping list of triggers. Although less pollution post-SHTF would make it easier in terms of COPD - both in causing it and aggravating it.
Bear in mind that asthma is triggered by pollen - moving to the country could actually make it a lot worse.
"The problem with internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their accuracy" - Abraham Lincoln, 1864
preppergb

Post by preppergb »

I agree with you, rural areas up to mid July are likely to be an issue especially in the south of the UK for Asthma sufferers, the only positives is the effects are much less in the northern part of the UK. And of course if society collapses and motor vehicles stop running the reduction in particulates in the city may make them better places of asthma sufferers to live.
maldini3

Post by maldini3 »

This is the issue.. The triggers for an asthma attack or even for a tight chest / difficulty breathing can be wide ranging to say the least! Even then it can also be quite random for lots of people too.

I honestly think if SHTF this will be a real problem for people. Ive yet to come across a reliable and viable solution that doesn't solely involve inhalers. My asthma is very mild and very much under control but there's nothing to say that certain conditions couldn't trigger a huge asthma attack that would give me a big problem without access to inhalers in the short term.
Holomon

Post by Holomon »

maldini3 wrote:This is the issue.. The triggers for an asthma attack or even for a tight chest / difficulty breathing can be wide ranging to say the least! Even then it can also be quite random for lots of people too.

I honestly think if SHTF this will be a real problem for people. Ive yet to come across a reliable and viable solution that doesn't solely involve inhalers. My asthma is very mild and very much under control but there's nothing to say that certain conditions couldn't trigger a huge asthma attack that would give me a big problem without access to inhalers in the short term.
If you haven't been to the GP in a while it might be worth going for a check up. They should have helped you to narrow down your triggers so that you at least know what things you can work to avoid.
Trouble is with Asthma, it's a disease that affects your respiratory tract in such a way that you need what are known as beta2-adrenergic agonists and corticosteroids to relax the muscles to stop your body from preventing you breathing. They're not, as far as I know, naturally occurring which is why you'll always need an inhaler to suppress it's effects.

The only things you can do are get your body in to a better condition so that those attacks are less likely to occur, or limit their severity.

One other thing to note is that these particular drugs are the most recent way of treating asthma (by relaxing muscles), but there was another, less effective way once. There is a drug that's very good at constricting blood flow to the lining of the airways during an asthma attack instead, and was used as a treatment a long time ago before the more efficient way was discovered. It's also possible to grow it naturally and refine it - in fact certain people in Colombia make a massive amount of money doing that to this very day...I shall say no more.
dizzydays

Post by dizzydays »

[quote="preppergb"]About 25 years ago a UK University did a bit of research into things that triggered Asthma attacks, the usual most people know about allergies, vehicle particulates, high levels of pollen etc.

But the piece that interested me was the trials they did to reduce the triggers for Asthma in the home, ...quote]

I watched that (or maybe a similar prog) - it was amazing the difference they made simply by removing all the clutter/unnecessary furnishings/carpets ie dust.

DD
maldini3

Post by maldini3 »

Holomon wrote:
maldini3 wrote:This is the issue.. The triggers for an asthma attack or even for a tight chest / difficulty breathing can be wide ranging to say the least! Even then it can also be quite random for lots of people too.

If you haven't been to the GP in a while it might be worth going for a check up. They should have helped you to narrow down your triggers so that you at least know what things you can work to avoid.
Oh I definitely know the triggers for me and it's very much under control like I said, I was talking more generally for other people in that post. Also making the point that even though I know my condition and body well there may well be some exceptional circumstances or indeed triggers that fall well outside of the norm. All things considered as it stands right now I 100% wouldn't want to be without inhalers just in case.
maldini3

Post by maldini3 »

Holomon wrote:

One other thing to note is that these particular drugs are the most recent way of treating asthma (by relaxing muscles), but there was another, less effective way once. There is a drug that's very good at constricting blood flow to the lining of the airways during an asthma attack instead, and was used as a treatment a long time ago before the more efficient way was discovered. It's also possible to grow it naturally and refine it - in fact certain people in Colombia make a massive amount of money doing that to this very day...I shall say no more.
Ha! I don't think I'll take up that option, not after last time. I'll end up on the David Icke forums all night again..