Hand sanitiser

Medical and Healthcare
ggc

Hand sanitiser

Post by ggc »

Hi,

I'm looking to add hand sanitiser to my preps, but I would rather stock up gradually on the small 50ml bottles as opposed to investing in a much larger bottle. Is all hand sanitiser the same (alcohol gel) or should I avoid the cheaper ones? I ask this because I can get 2 bottles for £1 in some shops, but one bottle can cost as much as £1.89 in another... is there a difference?

Thanks.
Holomon

Re: Hand sanitiser

Post by Holomon »

As long as it's at least 60% alcohol there shouldn't be a problem. Just remember to allow a minute or so for it to actually do it's thing before you touch things.
"The problem with internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their accuracy" - Abraham Lincoln, 1864
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Great for lighting fires with as well.

We have sanitiser on the road, but lots of soap at home. Bars of soap are really cheap and last for ever.
preppergb

Post by preppergb »

We bulk buy trays of hand sanitizer from places like Makro or Costco, or if on offer in the Supermarkets.
maldini3

Post by maldini3 »

Like holomon said providing it's of a certain alcohol content it shouldn't matter too much. My guess is the difference in price was likely down to where it was sold? The more expensive ones seem to be in service stations / boots etc. You can get them really cheap if you buy in bulk or in places like poundland / home bargains! Home bargains is great for certain supplies in general.
Holomon

Post by Holomon »

featherstick wrote:Great for lighting fires with as well.
If you were really desperate it actually burns hot enough and consistently enough to cook over as a fuel by itself - I read a fire report a while ago to do with threats to planes and the gel type burned at the same rate as Sterno.
"The problem with internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their accuracy" - Abraham Lincoln, 1864
ggc

Post by ggc »

maldini3 wrote:Like holomon said providing it's of a certain alcohol content it shouldn't matter too much. My guess is the difference in price was likely down to where it was sold? The more expensive ones seem to be in service stations / boots etc. You can get them really cheap if you buy in bulk or in places like poundland / home bargains! Home bargains is great for certain supplies in general.
I saw the more expensive ones in ASDA, presumably more expensive because they are from brands like Carex. I just didn't want to go and buy a load of cheap stuff from pound shops etc. without knowing what I should be looking for, as it's pointless having lots of it if it's not effective.

I had a look on Home Bargains yesterday but couldn't find any. I do like that website though!
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

Also don't think it can replace soap and water. Use it three or four times then clean your hands with soap and water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg3b_vV2vEw
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

ggc wrote:
maldini3 wrote:Like holomon said providing it's of a certain alcohol content it shouldn't matter too much. My guess is the difference in price was likely down to where it was sold? The more expensive ones seem to be in service stations / boots etc. You can get them really cheap if you buy in bulk or in places like poundland / home bargains! Home bargains is great for certain supplies in general.
I saw the more expensive ones in ASDA, presumably more expensive because they are from brands like Carex. I just didn't want to go and buy a load of cheap stuff from pound shops etc. without knowing what I should be looking for, as it's pointless having lots of it if it's not effective.

I had a look on Home Bargains yesterday but couldn't find any. I do like that website though!
If you go to the actual shop there is much much more than on the website!! My new favourite shop! :D
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
maldini3

Post by maldini3 »

ggc wrote:

The home bargains site is rubbish just seems to be like a very limited and more expensive cash and carry.. you need to go into a shop really! They have loads more stuff in there.. presumably as lots of it is end of line / excess stock they are contractually obliged not to advertise those prices online. Because of it being excess / end of line stock it can be hit and miss at times but when it's a hit it's definitely worth it. Good tins of branded food with long expiry dates for 10p / branded high quality sleeping bags for a fiver etc I've bought loads in there down the years!