New prep kit

How are you preparing
Waffle

New prep kit

Post by Waffle »

hey so i just bought an old alice pack got it for £3 down the car boot :D and was wondering what you guys would put in it i have my 72hour prep kit already but am thinking of another one and hopefully you can share your knowledge and experience in helping me setting this one up ? food wise im looking for something very easy i don't bother for the varied diet thing :D

If it helps im based in a city so would need to get away from it if anything happens :tinfoil
ForgeCorvus

Re: New prep kit

Post by ForgeCorvus »

You get a medium or a large?
With or without frame?

Three notes is a great price whatever you found

Re:72 hour kit.
What is plan A?

I'd concentrate on Hydration, Clothing, Food, Shelter in that order..... But then I'm not planning a 'run-for-the-hills' response.

Foodwise, calorie dense and with minimal prep
Gear to boil water (for hot drinks and just add water food) as well as open and eat stuff

I'll try and be more specific later
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Waffle

Post by Waffle »

its the medium one with 2 frames it came with a spare frame too a guy has a great military surplus stall at my local car boot if you guys r looking for any kit give me a shout :D

I have a roughly set out run route that bypasses several lochs and Glasgow's fresh water reservoir :) but i have a 2l camel back that i carry with 120 puri tabs for hydration for shelter i normally carry an old Bundeswehr Zeltbahn shelter its a great old thing :)

Food and clothing are my big issue im not sure what cloths r best for this kind of situation and food if i had it my way id just carry a pack full of tunnocks tea cakes :D
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Waffle wrote: ... food if i had it my way id just carry a pack full of tunnocks tea cakes :D
My kind of prepper :lol:
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I need to rethink / pack my bag.....

problem is with anything in life the old

LIGHT CHEAP STRONG

doesn't exist in the same sentence

Im looking at new lightweight gear all the time but for decent quality (strong) Its not cheap,,,,,

as for clothing i'd be looking at wool silk (both retain heat very well and wool is warm even if soaking wet) and modern high tec fabrics such as wicking layers and goretex....
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Waffle

Post by Waffle »

Currently i am using US army surplus kit its heavy but its tough as hell and easy to repair not to mention super cheap. as for light and strong you can try surplus summer kit its light and tough but not warm at all so no good for where i am up in sunny Scotland :)
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Right, from what you've said I'm assuming that you have a destination in mind and you're trying to get there asap ?

Are you likely to be more then a couple of hours walk from a reasonable water source ? If so a single camelback isn't quite enough. See if Mr Milsurp has any Osprey ('58 pattern) water bottles, they're bombproof and great as a backup (I bought a couple a while back for a quid each....I'll admit they're Grade three but you can't beat that price).

Clothing depends on season and what else you've got, but for basics:
Rainproof layer, poncho/ jacket and trousers/gaiters (the shorter the top half, the long the bottom bit needs to be)
Winter layer, something thick and warm to cover at least your torso down to below your bum (make sure it can go under your rainproofs)...... This can be ditched for warmer seasons.
Headgear, warm for winter, cool for summer...... Rainproof is an added bonus
Underwear, I know you could wear the same set all week..... But its a horrible way to live
Socks, Good ones.... If you carry no other clothing, have spare socks. I wear towelling in summer and wool in winter and will have spares of the same in any kit I'm carrying.
Extra shirt (a long sleeve), if its cold you can wear it over your other clothes. Also good for covering sunburn.

As for fabrics, leather, wool, linen,silk, bamboo and cotton (this last, not against the skin in winter ) suit me fine (apart from rainproofs, waxed jackets and oiled leather will seep given time...... Got to try oilskin some day). I don't own any goretex :oops:

Re: Food, you'll only need to carry 60 :lol:
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Waffle

Post by Waffle »

ForgeCorvus wrote:Right, from what you've said I'm assuming that you have a destination in mind and you're trying to get there asap ?

Are you likely to be more then a couple of hours walk from a reasonable water source ? If so a single camelback isn't quite enough. See if Mr Milsurp has any Osprey ('58 pattern) water bottles, they're bombproof and great as a backup (I bought a couple a while back for a quid each....I'll admit they're Grade three but you can't beat that price).

Clothing depends on season and what else you've got, but for basics:
Rainproof layer, poncho/ jacket and trousers/gaiters (the shorter the top half, the long the bottom bit needs to be)
Winter layer, something thick and warm to cover at least your torso down to below your bum (make sure it can go under your rainproofs)...... This can be ditched for warmer seasons.
Headgear, warm for winter, cool for summer...... Rainproof is an added bonus
Underwear, I know you could wear the same set all week..... But its a horrible way to live
Socks, Good ones.... If you carry no other clothing, have spare socks. I wear towelling in summer and wool in winter and will have spares of the same in any kit I'm carrying.
Extra shirt (a long sleeve), if its cold you can wear it over your other clothes. Also good for covering sunburn.

As for fabrics, leather, wool, linen,silk, bamboo and cotton (this last, not against the skin in winter ) suit me fine (apart from rainproofs, waxed jackets and oiled leather will seep given time...... Got to try oilskin some day). I don't own any goretex :oops:

Re: Food, you'll only need to carry 60 :lol:

Yeah i have a pretty fixed route that passes several watering holes its just getting out the city on foot that is my biggest issue but yeah its only about a 2 hour walk (safe route)

iv looked at a few diffrent water proofs but not sure what to go for gortex is pretty pricey for something im going to have sitting in a bag waiting for something bad to happen lol and on the off chance i survive what ever that may be :D right now i am just using those super thing packo macks you get from tiso they fold up nice and small but doubt they would last long.

love the fact id only need 60 tea cakes i bet i cud find a pouch or something that would fit them perfectly maybe a grenade pouch haha
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

Don't forget puritabs have an expiry date so need to rotate them. A poncho is a good option as it can be made into a basha. A fire making kit and a metal boiling pot would be useful to add.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
Waffle

Post by Waffle »

Oh ok i didnt actually think about the puri tabs expiry date i have had these for years probably need to bin them by now have any of you seen those life straws that you can get? Any experience with them ? iv thought about getting a few but dont know if they actually work or not