Solar charging of Baofeng UV-5R radios

Wulfshead

Solar charging of Baofeng UV-5R radios

Post by Wulfshead »

I had a visit from another prepper friend of mine last night.
He was impressed with the UV-5R radios but the conversation then lead to power-outages and the battery life of the radios.
Being a clever dick with electrics he took a look around and came up with this from the internet. (PS, my friend will soon be joining us here on UKP)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L3-P4CVXVU

We found all the needed components on Amazon UK so for those of us with these radios this set-up could be an invaluable addition for when needed.

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack
SkyWatcher

Re: Solar charging of Baofeng UV-5R radios

Post by SkyWatcher »

Wulfshead wrote:I had a visit from another prepper friend of mine last night.
He was impressed with the UV-5R radios but the conversation then lead to power-outages and the battery life of the radios.
Being a clever dick with electrics he took a look around and came up with this from the internet. (PS, my friend will soon be joining us here on UKP)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L3-P4CVXVU

We found all the needed components on Amazon UK so for those of us with these radios this set-up could be an invaluable addition for when needed.

Wulfshead
I've been wondering the same thing and although this isn't a charger, it is an alternative!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6pcs-AAA-Pack ... 43d0f00283
Area 11

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Once the SHTF thousands of other people are gonna want the same as you. What do you think your chances are of getting it?.......
Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

SkyWatcher,
You are quite right, an alternative.
I think the AA battery pack would be handy to have when you are charging the LI battery via solar panel.
Alternatively for circa £ 10 you could have an extra long life LI battery that could be on charge while the other is in the radio.

It's good to see we have methods available to keep a comms network working if and when we need them.

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack
munchh

Post by munchh »

When I buy handies like these (and I have a few) I always buy the car adapter for it so when I take it out I dont use the battery unless I go away from the car, but I agree a solar charger would be really handy.
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

Munchh,
Yep, totally agree with the car adapter.
I'm off me nut on pain killers all the time so am putting the wife through the driving test thing.(doctor said I can't drive on these meds)
I have a list of radio kit to buy for the baofeng UV-5R and the car adapter kit is on there for when the she-wolf can become my driver :lol:

I am on the Foundation Licence course and exam for January and have already sussed out my 10 watt home-base set-up for thereafter.
I will be using a mobile rig as my home base which should also be able to be battery connected when needed, My 88 year old dad I care for was an avid camper with quite a few solar panels I can fit up for charging a 12V car battery.
I can almost see the rise where my local repeater is from my upstairs window so the hand-helds and my future home base will hit it with ease.

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

munchh

Post by munchh »

Good luck with that, well worth it.

have you noticed there are a few 10w handies out there now, under 100quid!

dont forget the extention mics ;)
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

Munchh,
Tanks for the good luck wishes.
To be honest I've been trying to get to know our hand-helds and thus my searches for additional kit takes me to UV-5R kit above anything else. To that end I must confess that I have not seen any 10 watt hand-helds but that could be worth thinking about for after January should I manage to not do something stupid on the exam date.
Thanks for the heads up though.

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

If you get the car charger a caravan type solar battery charger and leisure battery or SLA battery would be the most versatile bet providing your not wanting it "man portable" saying that I'm yet to find a decent portable compact solar charger

Eg:

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=11070&start=10#p122286

Then
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/16082552 ... 108&ff19=0
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

Andy,
I like your 12V solar charging system you have going on there in that link.
I wonder, for a portable version in a strong shoulder strap bag or webbing pouch, if a 12v gel motorcycle battery would work out for a radio charging system ?
Seeing your posts about all things electrical, I was hoping you would catch this thread :)

Thanks,
Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I can't see why not

This is a smaller panel than mine iirc the pwm charger will do gell batteries will check tonight
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B009FK8 ... 5805064551
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine