Keyring EDC

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
Decaff

Re: Keyring EDC

Post by Decaff »

A door key held correctly is a weapon ;) I have been out to places where I didn't feel comfortable or safe and have slotted my door key between my fingers whilst holding the bunch of the keyring in my fist to make it easier to grip. I hate to feel vulnerable so any little thing I can do legally to protect myself if I need to can only be positive 8-)
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

tanstaafl wrote:
But my point to him was that if you incapacitated a mugger or rapist using the above mentioned things, did he think they were going to wander down the police station and complain how they were assaulted whilst mugging/raping somebody :?:
Thats not the point.
Its the carrying of something deemed to be an offensive weapon on the other 364 days of the year that will get the book thrown at you.... Best not leave yourself open to arrest, conviction and a custodial sentence of at least 6 months (this last taken from http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/l_to_o/offe ... icles/#a07)

I know, criminals by definition don't obey the law..... However, on here we must be seen to be doing so.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

ForgeCorvus wrote:
tanstaafl wrote:
But my point to him was that if you incapacitated a mugger or rapist using the above mentioned things, did he think they were going to wander down the police station and complain how they were assaulted whilst mugging/raping somebody :?:
Thats not the point.
Its the carrying of something deemed to be an offensive weapon on the other 364 days of the year that will get the book thrown at you.... Best not leave yourself open to arrest, conviction and a custodial sentence of at least 6 months (this last taken from http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/l_to_o/offe ... icles/#a07)

I know, criminals by definition don't obey the law..... However, on here we must be seen to be doing so.
Thanks for that link FC, It is evident from the link that you will need a very good and expensive Brief if you end up it court for possessing an offensive weapon.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

ForgeCorvus wrote:
tanstaafl wrote:
Thats not the point.

Yep I know and agree ................. at the end of the day its personal choice, I EDC a legal sub 3 inch non locking knife , so wont be troubled by being searched, and hope all I ever do is whittle , and I am also aware that as soon as I use it to defend myself it does become an "offensive weapon" as quoted above, as do pens newspapers etc... theres a great utube clip of a lad asked what the baseball bat was for in his car and instead of saying he had a game earlier , he said to defend himself :roll: shot self in foot ..................

I know a lot of people go thru life never being troubled by violence, but its no good pretending its not there , remember we are Preppers, but I do whole heartily agree that using legal means is preferred , as said above better something that has an excuse .............

And finally when I asked my old Judo teacher what to do if attacked by numbers or knife wielders etc (he being one of the top blokes in the country) he said simply .... Run :D

And second finally, mentioned this to my 70 year old mum yesterday , who said that when she was a nurse she used to carry a handful of pepper when walking home :shock:
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

Your best defence is not to be there, he who runs away lives to fight another day
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Unless they run faster than you and catch you up , so now your out of breath and surrounded ..... Just saying
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

And if you can't get away, remember Gussy's Law...... Anything is a weapon. Everything is a target.

Now we've put that to bed, can we return to the topic.

What small items would be most useful to have on a Keychain EDC ?

Can I add, Hand Sanitiser
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

ForgeCorvus wrote: can we return to the topic.

What small items would be most useful to have on a Keychain EDC ?

Can I add, Hand Sanitiser
I've carried a P38 tin opener on mine for years and at times a small nail trimmer and file set, not for manicuring purposes but sometimes when working a nail can get broken and become a right irritation plus they also work for splinters.
Hoipoloi

Post by Hoipoloi »

Had these arrive the other day:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261670289444? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Took a few weeks from the East but at £1.39 it's no bother waiting. They are stainless and fit into the holder nicely BUT they did need a bit of tidying up on the business end with a sharpening stone to get them perfect.

My prepping consists of bugging out by bicycle so any comments are likely to be based on that scenario.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

OK, I'll admit it.
This thread got me thinking, and I've now added a small pill bomb with two tightly rolled Twenties in it to my keyring...... More Clang :oops: