kettle arrived but..

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
katilea

kettle arrived but..

Post by katilea »

My Kelly Kettle arrived today but they've sent Aluminium and I'm sure I ordered stainless steel. I can't remember why Aluminium was supposed to be not as good but I have noticed the middle size comes in Aluminium only so it it can't be that bad???

Can someone remind me why Aluminium was supposedly not as good as the stainless steel (the cookpot and pan support appears to be steel) as there's no accessible village post offices near me to return stuff easily so it's a pain and will probably keep this one if its not dangerous to use or anything? Bearing in mind it will get only occasional use in event of a powercut going on for a long time, is it worth going through the hassle of returning it?

Thanks
poppypiesdad

Re: kettle arrived but..

Post by poppypiesdad »

There was some speculation about aluminium and a link to Alzheimer's disease.

J
Last edited by poppypiesdad on Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
jansman

Post by jansman »

The original Kelly was made of aluminium. I have had one for years and I take it fishing in Winter. You will be fine. Have a play with it, they are a good, simple tool.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
katilea

Post by katilea »

poppypiesdad wrote:There was some speculation about aluminium and a like to Alzheimer's disease.

J

The cookpots are steel so what if I used a little camping stainless kettle on the pot support instead of boiling the water IN the actual kelly kettle and just use that as the fire chimney? ..or only boil water in there to go in hot water bottles or something? As it was bought to only be used in powercut and may only be used once or twice a year anyway it seems not worth the hassle for the complicated returns pocedures these days when i was getting a small pan set anyway for the camping gaz bistro ring I was also planning to get.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

From the Alzheimers association.

"Myth 4: Drinking out of aluminum cans or cooking in aluminum pots and pans can lead to Alzheimer’s disease.

Reality: During the 1960s and 1970s, aluminum emerged as a possible suspect in Alzheimer’s. This suspicion led to concern about exposure to aluminum through everyday sources such as pots and pans, beverage cans, antacids and antiperspirants. Since then, studies have failed to confirm any role for aluminum in causing Alzheimer’s. Experts today focus on other areas of research, and few believe that everyday sources of aluminum pose any "

I suspect the risks are very low. I use aluminum mess tins and have for donkeys years and my memory is fine for my age.
katilea

Post by katilea »

jansman wrote:The original Kelly was made of aluminium. I have had one for years and I take it fishing in Winter. You will be fine. Have a play with it, they are a good, simple tool.

oh good! I'll keep this one and just get a pan set with an extra small kettle if I'm really worried. I only got the small size anyway so if fill both should have enough for a couple of hot water bottles and to fill a flask with tea if I've not gas or electric! :D

Thanks
katilea

Post by katilea »

sniper 55 wrote:From the Alzheimers association.

"Myth 4: Drinking out of aluminum cans or cooking in aluminum pots and pans can lead to Alzheimer’s disease.

Reality: During the 1960s and 1970s, aluminum emerged as a possible suspect in Alzheimer’s. This suspicion led to concern about exposure to aluminum through everyday sources such as pots and pans, beverage cans, antacids and antiperspirants. Since then, studies have failed to confirm any role for aluminum in causing Alzheimer’s. Experts today focus on other areas of research, and few believe that everyday sources of aluminum pose any "

I suspect the risks are very low. I use aluminum mess tins and have for donkeys years and my memory is fine for my age.

well mine is a bit dodgy but I've had a neurological condition for just over 10 years now and I'm more likely to have already got it from cans of pop when younger! I did wonder if it was just one of those things like alcohol gives you throat or liver cancer etc... it's not gonna stop me enjoying an occasional brandy and coke! .. my mum had cancer twice years ago and she never smoked or drank in her life. ..and you gotta die of something eventually! ..could do without Alzheimers on top of everything else though! ;)
greyman

Post by greyman »

Katilea,I got a kettle to and found you had to get the fire going properly first,I was a bit impatient at first.
Alzheimer's has its uses,you can blame it on one to many brandy and cokes ;) :D
jansman

Post by jansman »

katilea wrote:
sniper 55 wrote:From the Alzheimers association.

well mine is a bit dodgy but I've had a neurological condition for just over 10 years now and I'm more likely to have already got it from cans of pop when younger! I did wonder if it was just one of those things like alcohol gives you throat or liver cancer etc... it's not gonna stop me enjoying an occasional brandy and coke! .. my mum had cancer twice years ago and she never smoked or drank in her life. ..and you gotta die of something eventually! ..could do without Alzheimers on top of everything else though! ;)
My Dad never drank or smoked. He walked 30 miles a day in the course of his work. He died of Cancer. Don't worry.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.