What preps are you doing this week? Part 3.

How are you preparing
ClericalError

Re: What preps are you doing this week? Part 3.

Post by ClericalError »

I put up a rack of industrial shelving for my preps and checked everything against my lists - which felt good.

My tiny garden has been cleared for a couple of weeks, I've been acquiring seeds and this week I finally planted a few. Last time I tried anything the birds and squirrels ate everything and the cats and foxes had fun digging. So this time I have seeds on trays indoors at first.

I wanted to go on a local first aid course. A lot of the people we meet are quite vulnerable and knowing what to do if someone collapses would be no bad thing. Boss's response: "It's three days long, you can't go on that, what you want is a proper first aid course." Turned out that meant a half day where you get a certificate at the end. Trying hard not to reach for the insult that rhymes with steeple... I will find out more about this stuff even if I have to source it myself.
terrytaylor84

Post by terrytaylor84 »

Most of my prepping has been to eat through most of my preps, because I'm moving from a 1 bedroom flat in leicester, to a 2 bedroom house in Hull. So I will be starting afresh. I'm happy that I'll finally have a garden so that I can start growing fruit and veg.
metatron

Post by metatron »

Replacing all my fencing this weekend, if you want real creosote you have to buy it from a farming suppliers nowadays, due to its toxicity, but you really shouldn't be ingesting or covering your body in any wood preservative, so I'm not sure of the argument behind restricting its sale in the UK.
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

terrytaylor84 wrote:Most of my prepping has been to eat through most of my preps, because I'm moving from a 1 bedroom flat in leicester, to a 2 bedroom house in Hull. So I will be starting afresh. I'm happy that I'll finally have a garden so that I can start growing fruit and veg.
Your preps should include some good waterproof clothing then, my Son went to Hull uni and every time I visited it was raining sideways :P
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Catweazle wrote:
terrytaylor84 wrote:Most of my prepping has been to eat through most of my preps, because I'm moving from a 1 bedroom flat in leicester, to a 2 bedroom house in Hull. So I will be starting afresh. I'm happy that I'll finally have a garden so that I can start growing fruit and veg.
Your preps should include some good waterproof clothing then, my Son went to Hull uni and every time I visited it was raining sideways :P

How dare you cast aspersions on the city of culture 2017 remember its never dull in Ull ;-) :D :p its far wetter over tuther Sade off Pennines from experience :-) unless it was in 2007 if so I've never seen rain like it I was knee deep in water at work 15 miles from hull

Royal navy goretex is my current waterproof set of choice

Prepping is on hold till I get mrs Andy's car sorted which should be mid week
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Jan Smits

Post by Jan Smits »

I was around here a few months ago getting my first preps in place. I got some water stored, a week of food put by, and some other stuff. Since then I've been using my preps, not by choice. Getting my business off the ground there was that window between what I had running out, and actual earnings coming in. Finally there is a payday this week, not a huge amount, but enough to re-stock a few things.

So I'm looking at my food store and assessing the damage. I ran it down slowly rather than over a week, but I'm still learning a few things by looking at what disappeared in two days and what is still kicking around. Found there were some things I found it very difficult to get by without, like bread, and oranges of all things. So this weekend, writing a long shopping list, and looking at getting another big water container.
John Smith but a little bit foreign.
greyman

Post by greyman »

Got 3 brand new dented 25 litre containers from work,so they'll be filled with water and stored in the shed.
Made another has bottle burner so when I sell that I spend half on foodstuffs. :D
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

My sister and my nephew both went to Uni in Hull, and I loved it there :)

Yorkshire Curd! Omigod, if the Apocalypse ever does arrive, I'll have Yorkshire Curd for breakfast, dinner and tea until it gets me :mrgreen:

Oh, prepping! Erm, yet more pruning. The garden will be a pleasant place to sit in, by the end of this week, as I have a week's holiday just before Easter :)
angeuk

Post by angeuk »

Like most people, I suspect, I've been out in the garden this weekend. It was sorely neglected last year, just didn't have the time or inclination. Then the realisation 6 or 8 months ago that I need to prep for 'something' (not TEOTW... - just something) has spurred me into action. My back doesn't agree and is protesting strongly :)

Started clearing old pots out. Got a few fruit bushes planted. Seedlings out in my plazzy bag greenhouse. Pruning the plants that are there just because they look nice. Moving my tinned food preps to the shed. Realised I'm woefully unprepared on the tinned front, especially when I saw it all in one place.

Had a thoroughly enjoyable weekend, especially seeing as it wasn't freezing out there for a change.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

angeuk wrote:Like most people, I suspect, I've been out in the garden this weekend. It was sorely neglected last year, just didn't have the time or inclination. Then the realisation 6 or 8 months ago that I need to prep for 'something' (not TEOTW... - just something) has spurred me into action. My back doesn't agree and is protesting strongly :)

Started clearing old pots out. Got a few fruit bushes planted. Seedlings out in my plazzy bag greenhouse. Pruning the plants that are there just because they look nice. Moving my tinned food preps to the shed. Realised I'm woefully unprepared on the tinned front, especially when I saw it all in one place.

Had a thoroughly enjoyable weekend, especially seeing as it wasn't freezing out there for a change.
I was the same, I had plenty cans of tuna and baked beans but we didn't really eat much else from cans, I even cut down massively on tinned tomatoes because I use more pasatta now so it was a conscious effort to start stockpiling tins. Its amazing how it builds up though, each trip to the supermarket I would grab some, and I try and vary it, loads of cheap spaghetti and ravioli but also tinned chilli or curry etc if its on special too. I eat it some lunch times to justify storing it (store what you eat, eat what you store and all that) and its easy to bulk out with tatties or pasta if required. My personal plan was a months worth for the 2 of us but I've probably got at least twice as much as that, probably more and its been built up pretty easily. Not just cans but rice and pasta, pasatta and beans etc that can give you the base to add other stuff to like dehydrated veg or whatever. My intention is to live as normally as I can if things do get a bit 'peculiar' so I keep things we would normally eat although canned stuff can make life very easy and its cheap generally.