Is my uk legal knife legal to carry or not

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
yorkshirewolf

Re: Is my uk legal knife legal to carry or not

Post by yorkshirewolf »

Deeps wrote: intends to use it for murder-death-kill.
Aahhh, that brought back fond memories of a quality film...
mdk.jpg
Non-Sanctioned life-terminations.... :lol:
Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

Seems to me, stringing a bit of my strange logic together, that a call to or in at the police station would clear it up.
I carry a multi-tool in a pouch and would argue that the blade in that tool is legal and as such I can carry it on my person in a pouch, it does happen to be hanging on my person !
What is important to remember is that I'm not in any way anything to do with the authorities or the police so what do I know, some would find that strange however as there was usually a police car parked outside my house in my yoof lol,

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack
Alloneword

Post by Alloneword »

yorkshirewolf wrote:Keep it UK legal, keep it out of sight, don't take it with you anywhere obviously problematic (court/school/police station) and you should be fine.
Seems like the best answer IMO

All1
Please bear in mind i am prepping for the River Thames to flood and how i can get to safe ground, I'm not worried about the end of the world..... I'll die with the other Minions.
I can't trust Govt or local Council to help me so i have to help myself.
Monstermash

Post by Monstermash »

Thank you all for your input on this thread I'm much clearer now on the when's and where's.

The reason for belt carry is that i use a folding Stanley type knife daily as part of my day job and I've found the most reliable location for me to keep it is on my belt as its too slow to repeatedly fish out of a pocket full of other stuff and for example if up a ladder and trying to hold tools and the ladder and rummage through all my pockets wondering which one i put it in this time is time I don't have to mince about. My back pockets are taken with other things, side pockets contents dig into me when I crouch down as I frequently have to and cargo pockets contents tend to swing back and forth as I walk and clonk my kneecaps.

After many years of carrying a knife on my belt I constantly reach for it off my belt when I'm not working and of course it's not there which is why I bought a legal carry off duty version. Rest assured though that it is not in sight my T shirt covers it on my belt and it is always concealed in that regard there are no statements to make or are being made.
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

There is two problems with that type of knife
One it locks in place " locking knife "
Two "stanley blade "
Two red alerts for the plod to do you on .

And wulfshead most pocket tools are illegal due to length of blade in it and it locks open due to the mechanisms needed to get the blade out.

The real question should be why you need a knife in the first place , in a public area , on your belt.

And is it worth a police caution or even court / criminal conviction for it ....

J
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Monstermash wrote:Thank you all for your input on this thread I'm much clearer now on the when's and where's.

The reason for belt carry is that i use a folding Stanley type knife daily as part of my day job and I've found the most reliable location for me to keep it is on my belt as its too slow to repeatedly fish out of a pocket full of other stuff and for example if up a ladder and trying to hold tools and the ladder and rummage through all my pockets wondering which one i put it in this time is time I don't have to mince about. My back pockets are taken with other things, side pockets contents dig into me when I crouch down as I frequently have to and cargo pockets contents tend to swing back and forth as I walk and clonk my kneecaps.

After many years of carrying a knife on my belt I constantly reach for it off my belt when I'm not working and of course it's not there which is why I bought a legal carry off duty version. Rest assured though that it is not in sight my T shirt covers it on my belt and it is always concealed in that regard there are no statements to make or are being made.
Fair enough mate, I stopped carrying a belt pouch for a knife at work years ago but whatever works for you. The issue is when you're away from work, its easy to justify a work knife when you're at work or transiting back and forth but harder to justify when you're sashaying around town, if it is seen it will attract attention and how often will you be using it anyway. Horses for courses I suppose.

If you do end up getting in touch with the local five-oh let us know how you get on.
yorkshirewolf

Post by yorkshirewolf »

Just to resurrect this thread, according to a local paper it seems a case has been tested of carrying a 'work knife' -though the circumstances and behavior are hardly what i'd expect from a prepper...

http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/west-yor ... d-12094915
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

yorkshirewolf wrote:Just to resurrect this thread, according to a local paper it seems a case has been tested of carrying a 'work knife' -though the circumstances and behavior are hardly what i'd expect from a prepper...

Yeh a mistake..... That he pulled it out and waved it about threatening to stab someone..... :tinfoil ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

yorkshirewolf wrote:Just to resurrect this thread, according to a local paper it seems a case has been tested of carrying a 'work knife' -though the circumstances and behavior are hardly what i'd expect from a prepper...

Over the years I've been involved in a few altercations, its never occurred to me to bring the SAK out the pocket. The whole report has a tragic tone about it, I don't mean to condescend but "Destruction of the knife" :lol: That sounds highly dramatic, right up there with WMD's. I'm sure it wasn't pleasant for the guy who was being intimidated but oh dear.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:

Yeh a mistake..... That he pulled it out and waved it about threatening to stab someone..... :tinfoil ;)

I missed this thread earlier and this same question comes up again and again and lots of misinformation out there... :D

If you want a good long read, pop over to the British Blades forum and check out the "ask a cop section"....

But to me its very clear cut , the law is very specific and sub 3" non locking blades are legal to carry at all times with "No Reason"....with a few exceptions (schools courts etc).... if you have a pen and said knife in your pocket they have exactly the same legal status.....

The officer has no discretion in this, its legal ....

But if you took either out and threatened anyone with it, it then becomes an offensive weapon and again has the same legal status....

Its when you are carrying a locker, fixed or over 3" blade that the police have discretion and it becomes blurred, I am so tempted to say "Intent to Whittle" , if ever stopped :D

Someone summed it up over at BB as this, carrying any knife at your work is fine, still carrying it and popping into your local on your way home for a swift pint would probably be ok , still carrying it at 11.00 that night after a night out would get you done.....