Bulk buy coffee

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Plymtom

Re: Bulk buy coffee

Post by Plymtom »

Nescafe 200g jar about £2.80 in savers Plymouth It varies a bit, the pound shop often does it for £3 too
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

aldhelm wrote:
featherstick wrote:Crikey.

I'm going to make a different suggestion. Get yourself an aeropress or a bialetti stove-top moka pot, and a grinder, and start enjoying proper freshly-ground freshly-made coffee for the same price. Sainsburys own-brand fairtrade expresso roast beans come between £1.50 and £1.80 per 100g, or £15 -£18 per kilo. That's cheaper than some of the prices below, for a better product.
I get the feeling I'm missing quite a trick here. Gonna look into that featherstick, thanks.
tanstaafl wrote:

Yep I buy beans when they are on offer , got about 3kgs in the cupboard at the moment :D
Can I just ask tanstaafl do you vacuum pack them and what kind of shelf life do you reckon they are good for?

I really feel some amazon wishlist additions coming on here.

Advice here.
I can't drink the stuff anymore..... Quite surprised at to cost nowadays
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

ForgeCorvus wrote:I can't drink the stuff anymore..... Quite surprised at to cost nowadays
Just imagine if you gave up smoking in the 80s and saw the price of fags today :shock:
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

aldhelm wrote:
featherstick wrote:Crikey.

I'm going to make a different suggestion. Get yourself an aeropress or a bialetti stove-top moka pot, and a grinder, and start enjoying proper freshly-ground freshly-made coffee for the same price. Sainsburys own-brand fairtrade expresso roast beans come between £1.50 and £1.80 per 100g, or £15 -£18 per kilo. That's cheaper than some of the prices below, for a better product.
I get the feeling I'm missing quite a trick here. Gonna look into that featherstick, thanks.
tanstaafl wrote:

Yep I buy beans when they are on offer , got about 3kgs in the cupboard at the moment :D
Can I just ask tanstaafl do you vacuum pack them and what kind of shelf life do you reckon they are good for?

I really feel some amazon wishlist additions coming on here.

No mate just use them out of the pack................shelf life ... no idea lol get though them too quick......... but the pack says 05/18.... :D

and use the Amazon suscribe and save trick (unless you have prime) order using suscribe and save , get free shipping and cheaper price then cancel

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lavazza-Qualit ... beans&th=1
Mad Scientist

Post by Mad Scientist »

I've never seen it in bulk but Asda sell Nescafé Fine Blend for £1.99 for 100g. Really nice.
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

I'd question the rationale for bulk buying coffee. And I love the stuff.
The only reason I can see for anyone to do that is to assume that your view of any major collapse would be temporary/short-lived. Or that you would eek out the supply a little at a time as a treat or for that desperate all-nighter!

If things go to pot (pun intended) in a big way then I can't see the UK getting any more coffee supplies anytime soon.
Do you want to be ill due to caffeine withdrawals on top of everything else you're dealing with?
Wouldn't it make more sense to lower your consumption early and then write it off as a non-essential without any ill effects?
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Tricky: There are two responses to that.
The first is we don't just prep for TEOTWAWKI but also the 'Bumps in the road' which are only short to medium term.

The second is that, as you yourself said, the limited supply would be stretched out by rationing to both lessen the impact and give a chance to find an alternative (maybe not that likely with coffee, but the reasoning holds true for all resources)
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Tricky wrote:I'd question the rationale for bulk buying coffee. And I love the stuff.
The only reason I can see for anyone to do that is to assume that your view of any major collapse would be temporary/short-lived. Or that you would eek out the supply a little at a time as a treat or for that desperate all-nighter!

If things go to pot (pun intended) in a big way then I can't see the UK getting any more coffee supplies anytime soon.
Do you want to be ill due to caffeine withdrawals on top of everything else you're dealing with?
Wouldn't it make more sense to lower your consumption early and then write it off as a non-essential without any ill effects?

It's TEOTWAWKI.

Your house is on fire.

The Zombie Horde has reached the end of your street.

What do you save first - your family or your coffee pot?

(Asking for a friend.)
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

featherstick wrote:
Tricky wrote:I'd question the rationale for bulk buying coffee. And I love the stuff.

It's TEOTWAWKI.

Your house is on fire.

The Zombie Horde has reached the end of your street.

What do you save first - your family or your coffee pot?

(Asking for a friend.)

Trick question.....

Get your family to carry your coffee stash, you carry the pot. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
gamekeeper752

Post by gamekeeper752 »

I'm gonna try me this Autumn. Recipe for Acorn coffee.
Bring a saucepan of water to the boil and add the acorns.
Boil for 15 minutes until they turn a dark brown colour.
Remove from the heat and peel the acorns then cut in half. Spread the acorns out on a baking tray and place in a warm spot for 2 days to dry out.
When dried, grind the acorns in a coffee grinder until coarse then pop under the grill for 5 to 6 minutes making sure they do not burn. Remove from the heat.
To drink, mix 1 teaspoon into a cup of boiling water. Allow to steep for a minute or two then strain into a clean cup and serve as you would coffee.

Meant to taste like caramel flavoured coffee
Train hard,Fight easy, put the kettle on and make tea