Hopkinson Release Knife

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
sion_1990

Hopkinson Release Knife

Post by sion_1990 »

Hey Guys,
Was going through a bunch of my grandads old stuff this week and found this, thought it'd be cool to share it with you. He used to be a paramedic and would use this to cut seatbelts and the like.

Image[/URL]

I've got a couple of the box-cutter style ones with glass hammers on the other side in my track car, got nothing in my daily driver though, was thinking of keeping this in my door pocket, but obviously being an actual knife looking thing, not sure if it's gonna be legal or not... shame
Deeps

Re: Hopkinson Release Knife

Post by Deeps »

My understanding is it would be illegal, its a fixed blade, it doesn't matter if its got a pointy bit. There are other options that are completely legal so I'd keep it as a curiosity rather than a practical tool. It does look smart though.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Very nice but, as Deeps has stated the cutting edge is more than 3 inches so illegal to store in the car as it's classed as a public place.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

pseudonym wrote:Very nice but, as Deeps has stated the cutting edge is more than 3 inches so illegal to store in the car as it's classed as a public place.

Fixed blade so illegal full stop of any size (without reason) so these 2 would be legal as a folding non locker sub 3 inch

the first is the lansky world legal knife that is so heavy it could hammer nails, and it has a glass breaker so its in the car....

And this little 2" knife would be ilegal

Crazy world
Mortblanc

Post by Mortblanc »

No, the whole world is not crazy, just the part you live in.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Every country has its laws peculiar to its own situation. I was reading recently about some American states where it is illegal to catch rainwater in a water butt from your OWN roof! And ' Zoning' ( I guess that is planning permission) that makes it illegal to keep chickens and grow vegetables in your OWN garden!

Crazy world.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
sion_1990

Post by sion_1990 »

oh I wouldn't have considered this as an EDC, I have that covered lol. It will probably stay in my collection at home for now...

I'm 100% convinced it wouldn't break the law carrying it in the car, the law states you can only carry fixed blade knives/locking knives with a reason e.g. transporting them, legitimate work tools etc... being a release knife, (with that etched on the blade) and being kept in the car for the purpose of cutting belts in an emergency, assuming I didn't go around pointing it at people threateningly yada yada yada there would be no legal grounds for any action against me.
However, some officers around here are proverbial penises, and as they can pretty much confiscate it at will... I don't want it lost.

that's actually the reason I don't have any nice fixed blade hunting knives or bushcraft knives, despite it being legal to carry it for the purpose of practicing bushcraft (which is all I want it for, honest) it only takes one officer with an overly endowed forehead to confiscate it and me lose a potentially expensive knife...

jansman wrote:Every country has its laws peculiar to its own situation. I was reading recently about some American states where it is illegal to catch rainwater in a water butt from your OWN roof! And ' Zoning' ( I guess that is planning permission) that makes it illegal to keep chickens and grow vegetables in your OWN garden!

Crazy world.
it's not just America that has crazy planning laws, while I was living with my parents earlier this year I was working on my car on the driveway for a few weekends (in a neighbourly manner, no loud noises/power tools) and I had a Council Representative turn up to tell me that if I am going to be working on my own car I need to apply for planning permission to change the property status from residential to light industrial!! further investigation into local rules revealed that we were also not allowed to keep chickens, (or any other fowl), more than 2 dogs or cats, leave washing on our line overnight, leave our bins outside the house unless it was collection day, park a boat on our driveway, park a caravan on our driveway, build a shed, fit solar panels, among a multitude of other things... oh apparently we also had more cars than was acceptable (4 adults living there, 4 cars, all on our driveway)

baffling.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Such stupid laws are to be ignored.Cannot leave washing on the line at night? Was it April 1st! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Can't beat the UK for silly rules and regulations....

But fixing your own car on your own driveway :o bet everyone with a car has broken the planning laws I assume that even topping up the screen wash would get some over zealous council official overly excited
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
womble

Post by womble »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:Can't beat the UK for silly rules and regulations....

But fixing your own car on your own driveway :o bet everyone with a car has broken the planning laws I assume that even topping up the screen wash would get some over zealous council official overly excited
It's probably entirely legal, inferring from the context offered, to fix your car if it's parked on the road across the exit of your own driveway, though. Silliness does, indeed, abound.