Fray Bentos Pies

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Deeps

Re: Fray Bentos Pies

Post by Deeps »

Squirrelcatcher wrote:Ahh, Fray Bentos pies. The memories of disappointment as you pulled back to crust to find 4 lumps of meat and the rest gravy. Probably reflects the price. Mind you, I suppose it would be far more satisfactory than trying to catch squirrels.
:lol:

They're hardly haute cuisine but you kinda know what you get with them. They are fantastic kiddie food though and not bad for a hangover......so I've heard. :roll:
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

I wonder if there is a way to heat these bad boys up easy while out and about. I've not got an oven in my go bag. I do like these pies - perfect comfort stodge.
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

dangerman wrote:I wonder if there is a way to heat these bad boys up easy while out and about. I've not got an oven in my go bag. I do like these pies - perfect comfort stodge.
We had a similar discussion a while back. My reply then was..... "Many years ago, at a rather drunken campout with uni pals. Some bright spark produced a few fray bentos pies for for their turn at dinner. After much headscratching, thinking, drinking(lubricates the grey matter donchaknow!) and improvisation, we separated the crust from the filling. The filling was cooked in a pan and we fried the crust, was OK, but then I suppose if you can't remember how you got to bed, you can forget how bad it might have been. :shock: :lol: :lol:"

Thinking about it further, you could always make a campfire oven by putting a billy can on it's side and setting near a fire, or do what we did. I do remember there being nothing left on plates when we came to the next morning, but that doesn't mean much when the vino is flowing! :mrgreen:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon