Bug out bag

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Covert

Bug out bag

Post by Covert »

Probably been asked 1000 times so appologies but each bag is different and so is each individual

Found what i think is a decent BOB but would like your views

This is the one im thinking of but dont know if i should buy it in camo or black
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MTP-and-Multi ... SwTA9X8Yxm

Hopefully should be able to get a large quantity of kit in it , am drawn to the camo ....
Thanks in advance folks !
Covert

Re: Bug out bag

Post by Covert »

Appologies should say its been pointed out to me that black is more covert ie to not draw attention to yourself ?
Britcit

Post by Britcit »

Covert wrote:Probably been asked 1000 times so appologies but each bag is different and so is each individual

This is the one im thinking of but dont know if i should buy it in camo or black

Hopefully should be able to get a large quantity of kit in it , am drawn to the camo ....

Hi Covert.

Have you decided what you will be putting in the BOB? It may be worthwhile starting with the contents, because you may find this bag is too small. Or even too large. So my suggestion would be start with the contents, and then work out what size bag you need.

As to the black\camo, it is a personal choice to you. I went black as I prefer them. There is an opinion that maybe steering completely clear of anything military looking is best. The greyman approach.
"There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know."
jaffab

Post by jaffab »

I am going to echo what has just been said - get the contents together first. The reason for this is only when you have the contents will you know what size and weight you are looking for. You may be needing to split this over 2 people (if you have a SO to Bug Out with) or you may end up with equipment which weighs 14 kilos - in which case comfort is the major issue over cost verses style.

The other thing you may want to think about is buying a BOB with a 72 day bug out set already in place (this is how I started) there are various already put together out there as a good starter, and most then come with a reasonable sized bag.
You live in a time of decay, when the worth of a man is how much he can pay (Flamboyant, Pet Shop Boys, 2006)
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

Edited by moderator.

Have a look at The Urban Prepper's videos on the tier system of bags. It's what I've done. Depending on the time you have to get out and the method of transport it offers options.
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Best bit of advice I was ever given is try the bag on. Go to outdoorsy shops and Army surplus types an try a few bags on, then you'll have an idea what fits YOU. Some bags look the biz but might not sit right or alter your gait or centre of gravity to cause pain. Buy what suits you, if you like it get it.
A line or two on pre-made BOBs. Someone else decides what goes into them, bear that in mind. If you make up your own, you make that decision and you decide on the quality, price and weight. HTH :)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Most bags are all looks and not up to hard use / heavy loading army surplus bags are often very strong

As too are branded packs such as Ospray. Try before you buy ideally loaded with weight

I did a full day hike wild camp and 1/2 day back with circa 25kg last year

My mod bergan was great for me
FB_IMG_1473004821837.jpg

But what fits me might not fit you..

Also I'm a manual labourer and spend 8- 9 hours a day on my feet moving heavy objects so carying a 25kg pack isn't a issue for me unlike someone who might be 8 stone wet through
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

dangerman wrote:That bag looks totally gay.

Have a look at The Urban Prepper's videos on the tier system of bags. It's what I've done. Depending on the time you have to get out and the method of transport it offers options.
Now I am assuming that you are meaning happy and colourful when you say "gay".If you are using that word in the way that most do in 2017, then its bang out of order.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Covert wrote:Probably been asked 1000 times so appologies but each bag is different and so is each individual

I'll back up the try it on if you can principle. There's an absolute ton of different sized and shaped bags out there, if you fancy the tacticool look then you're restricted to start with, while I have a few old issue bags my favourite bags are commercial, I like Berghaus and Lowe myself and my GHB (probably the easiest generic description) is a Camelbak. Just my feeling on it but if you really need to use a BOB then looking like you've got all the gear will maybe mark you as a target. Of course having ANY kit might attract attention if things are that bad but we'll all have our own approach. As has also been said, maybe find out what you think you'll need (it will change over time) and get a bag to fit that. I'll hold my hand up, I don't have a BOB, some of the things that would sit in it I'd use for other things, I still get away for the odd weekend up the hills for example. I could knock a few together if required and that would be my personal plan if things started to deteriorate. I know I'm a wee bit counter culture on that one.

If your bag really is a 72hr thing and its going to sit by your door for emergencies then it doesn't have to be too robust (expensive) but if its a bag that's going to get a fair bit of usage then its worth spending on something that will last, I've had rucksacks for 20 years that have stood the test of time, cost a bloody fortune relatively but I'm a bit of a rucksack geek. :oops: Without knowing all your issues, maybe get a big (60L or more) and a wee bag (30-40L) to cover your bases, they don't have to be expensive and see what works for you, spare bags are always handy, even in 'normal' life so not a total waste if you don't end up using either as your main bag. Hope that helps, although there's a lot of ifs, buts and maybe's.
IfInDoubt

Post by IfInDoubt »

jansman wrote:
dangerman wrote:That bag looks totally gay.

Now I am assuming that you are meaning happy and colourful when you say "gay".If you are using that word in the way that most do in 2017, then its bang out of order.
i'm assuming he doesn't mean happy and that is bang out of order
Rogers: "Stark, we need a plan of attack"
Stark: "I have a plan; ATTACK!"

A man without at least one sharp pointy thing and the ability to start a fire is just a cold whining hairless ape