Bug out bag

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
MBJ

Re: Bug out bag

Post by MBJ »

That bag screams prepper to me. I honestly wouldn't touch anything tactical or anything with camouflage or army looking patterns on it.

You want something that will be comfortable, that will be just big enough to fit what you want in it, and which will go unnoticed by everyone else. You therefore can't really go wrong with a good civilian looking backpacking bag. These are designed to be lightweight and more importantly to help you carry the load better.

As others have said, decide on the contents and then buy the bag.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

MBJ wrote:That bag screams prepper to me. I honestly wouldn't touch anything tactical or anything with camouflage or army looking patterns on it.
I tend to wear black, blue, khaki and the light green a lot, I have some civilian bags, mollie bags/rucksacks in black, and gun bags camouflage and black, being around the shooting community a fair bit these days seeing someone or something camouflage no longer speaks "playing soldier" nor Black "SWAT wannabe" type thing, yes preppers wear it a fair bit but so do builders and others who either work outdoors or just want practical hard wearing clothing, often cheap too, I think if you feared attack in certain situations you would be well placed to look filthy and put your nice rucksack whatever colour it is inside a strong bin bag ( also made to look grubby) and carry it over your shoulder until you feel less vulnerable.
Plymouth is a university city and also a sort of tourist base camp if you like because from here South Devon the Moors and most of Cornwall is around an hours drive away, and we see many people in the city carrying rucksacks of all varieties, perhaps I don't take enough notice or people watch enough but I get the impression in hard times more people will be lugging something around, a bit like me now partially EDC, partially a feeling of insecurity avoided which comes with carrier bags, I wear a belt bag which is black and mollie covered, and carry a rucksack practically all the time even when going to the hospital for a check up ( I stick my coat and belt bag inside it once I'm in, often other layers too because it's always warm in these places) but in town I am aware of some judgmental younger folk often find my belt bag amusing ( others maybe just hide their amusement eh?) but honestly I reckon your demeanor will give you away more than your attire, for instance I'm mid fifties arthritic a bit overweight and to be honest feeling my age plus at least ten at times, I try to look like I'm strolling carefree in no hurry, rather than struggling to put one foot in front of the other when at my worst, this approach also give me IMO a better chance of fighting off an attack than hurrying through an area I feel vulnerable in.

So.... get what you like and what can do the job ( you get what you pay for too) if it's too tactical/preppy then disguise it a bit with soft toys on key chains perhaps if you're out and about and wish to throw folk off the scent ;) some of us aren't that far from having to worry about if our walking stick looks too tactical,or zimmer frame, wheelchair etc :lol:
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
sethorly

Post by sethorly »

My understanding is that for heavy loads you need waist straps that transfer weight to your hips comfortably, and a back system which reduces back sweating and allows wicked back sweat to evaporate.

You may also want to consider uses for the bag once bugged out.

For all of these reasons I'm going for an external frame backpack. Haven't found the exact one yet.
=======
Plymton wrote:Klingon ass scratcher
=======
Area 8
=======
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

Terribly sorry for causing offence with my use of said word. It's all about intent vs reception with language and even though I didn't mean happy it also was not with reference to where people stick their sausages. It's just a word that where I come from means not good... As in, unfashionable, uncool, don't do it.
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

I'll throw in my 2p worth here. That does look a nice bag but.. it does look and shout military to me, fair enough joe public probably wouldn't notice, but those who would notice it might make you a target.
Take a checkpoint of some sort, I may be waving through all the other daybags, that I'd pull for a look because it's different (well around here it is)
Not knocking the bag and it's totally your choice mate, as a bag for bugout it's probably great, it's just too military for my personal taste. We're talking SHTF here, for the normal world it's fine, for hill walking for example I still use my old camo bergan.
Maver1ck

Post by Maver1ck »

MBJ wrote:That bag screams prepper to me. I honestly wouldn't touch anything tactical or anything with camouflage or army looking patterns on it.

You want something that will be comfortable, that will be just big enough to fit what you want in it, and which will go unnoticed by everyone else. You therefore can't really go wrong with a good civilian looking backpacking bag. These are designed to be lightweight and more importantly to help you carry the load better.

As others have said, decide on the contents and then buy the bag.
I agree with MBJ even in black it screams someone who is prepared. Also, you would be surprised at what people take notice of in a stress or high pressured environment, even Joe Public with little or zero experience would likely pick you you out wearing that in black.

Experience wise never heard of the make which would make me weary of purchasing it, that being said it could be an awesome and you could have a bargain on your hands.

I give another endorsement to anything berghaus never strayed wrong with them also, I purchased a day sack made by 5.11 Tactical in Camp Bastion before i moved onto my FOB and that bag is fantastic would thoroughly recommend i'll post pics when i finish work if you would like to see it just for interest.
jaffab

Post by jaffab »

I am no expert, but I think whatever bag you pick, somebody will have issues with it. Pick a red one and you look like a standard backpacker (good, you blend in) but you will show up in woods like a lantern (bad). Pick a camo one and you will blend in with the wilderness (good) but will look like the army on the streets (bad). Pick a black one and you may look like a prepper (bad) but also Mr Grey (blend in = good).

Just make sure it is comfortable, you are happy with it, it is of reasonable quality, and that it can hold all your stuff (i.e, GET YOUR STUFF FIRST).
You live in a time of decay, when the worth of a man is how much he can pay (Flamboyant, Pet Shop Boys, 2006)
Covert

Post by Covert »

Thanks folks some food for thought here
When I started looking at bags my first thought was a 100 litre bergen with an alloy frame but as you say it depends what I will be putting in it . I like the thought of camo as you can hide them easily buy they stand out more in an urban environment.

Jaffa you hit the nail on the head !
More thinking to do me thinks
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

Just a quick note on stuff to go in it. I've put tons of rubbish in mine over the last few years and there are things that I used to think were essential but now I think is just faff.

There are many many many misleading YouTube videos that will cost you a fortune if you're not paying attention. Be clear about what you are designing the bag for and then pick your kit.

The red cross (I think) have put a standard basic list together that's a sensible approach.
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

dangerman wrote:Just a quick note on stuff to go in it. I've put tons of rubbish in mine over the last few years and there are things that I used to think were essential but now I think is just faff.

There are many many many misleading YouTube videos that will cost you a fortune if you're not paying attention. Be clear about what you are designing the bag for and then pick your kit.

The red cross (I think) have put a standard basic list together that's a sensible approach.
I agree pack for you, youtube is great but the BOB EDC GHB stuff on there could easily be swayed toward the full on SHTF prepper mentality, think evacuate / hotel first, I'm thinking of getting a Rush72 as a catch all bag and varying the load slightly for activity, plus clipping on a second serious one with stuff I wouldn't want to take to the local church hall if we got evacuated for a gas leak or such like, I'm more concerned with GHB than BOB really.

It's for you, and ideal if your other half is on board, you can then run through scenarios taking out what you imagine you'll need from a pile of goodies, what's left is then a case of hedging your bets.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.