Bug out bag

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
MBJ

Re: Bug out bag

Post by MBJ »

I've not yet made my bag as I'm still acquiring all the supplies to go in it, but so far this is what I would put in it. Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Oh I went a bit overboard with the Cs but it helps me remember it :mrgreen: and yes I did sneak in one K ;)

Cutting
Large hunting knife / combat knife - not decided on make yet.
Mora companion knife - good throwaway knife.
Ray Mears Wilderness Axe
Ray Mears Folding Buck Saw
Hook knife
Awl
Swiss army knife (knives, saws, scissors, wire cutters etc).
Bracelet survival saw.

With these tools you can make almost a limitless supply of wooden tools and furniture from mallets, digging sticks, pipe blowers, beds, chairs and even stone age axes using logs and stones.

Cordage
50 feet of MIL-C-5040 Military Issue 550 Paracord - Safety Orange

Cover
Snugpak Ionosphere 1 man Tent (1200g)
AlpineDream 800 Hydrophobic sleeping bag (1300g) -24℃
Klymit Inertia X Frame Ultralight inflatable Backpacking Pad.
Spare clothes plus waterproofs.

Combustion
2 Ferro Rods (bright orange)
UCO Survival matches
UCO Stormproof Torch
1 airtight tin full of newspaper, cotton wool, Cut down Maya sticks and 2 Wet fire tinder packets.
1 Solar Spark Fire Lighter
1 Fresnel Lense Firestarter

Container
The bag itself (not chosen)
Steel drinking bottle, cup set
Billy can
Plastic 2L water bottle full of water.

Calories
Seven Oceans 72 hours rations.
Some other source of food would be good but not decided.
Life Straw.
Purification tablets.

Communication
Smart phone - portable solar charger.
Dynamo / solar powered Radio
HAM handheld radio.
Signalling mirror
Odeo MK3 LED Distress Flare

Compass
Glow in the dark compass
Handheld GPS system
AZ
Map of local area / city
Ruler, compass and protractor.

Care
I've yet to build the first aid kit but I do know I want some quick clot stuff, as well as some antibiotics and stuff to treat constipation and diarrhea to go along with the cuts and bruises etc.
Toilet paper
Solar heated hangable shower
Toiletries
Small Sharpening stone pebble

Candle
Headlamp
Dynamo LED torch
LuminAid Solar Powered Inflatable Light

Contingency
£600 cash
Waterproof notepad and pens and pencils.
Physical pictures of friends and family
Pictures of home (identifying purposes)
Physical copies of Passport, Driving Licence, Birth Certificate, Insurance Documents, titles, deeds, car details etc.
USB backup.

Killing
I.e things for hunting
Some form of take down bow
Sling shot? Air Pistol?
Some form of fishing kit, perhaps a net too?
Steel snares
Last edited by MBJ on Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
jaffab

Post by jaffab »

There is a lot of heavy stuff there... A large Axe? Maybe take it down to a Hatchet?!?

You have a life straw in there... you can get canteens with these built in - saves space, cost and easier to use. I don't see anything to cook with (pots, pans, mugs) etc.

I had not come across the Klymit Inertia X Frame Ultralight Pad before - looks pretty good. I have added a couple onto my amazon wish list for later purchase (I was planning on making my own using leaves/ferns/whatever on the road). Very pricey through.

Other things worth thinking about/adding:
Gorilla Tape (useful for patching stuff)
Gloves (protect your hands)
Plastic sheets (range of uses - catching water, making shelter etc)
Toothpaste/toothbrush/bug spray
Collapsible water jerry can
Glow sticks
TeaTowel (multi uses)

For hunting, I pack a crossbow myself, and have a snare tin (with wire, fasteners, eyelets)
You live in a time of decay, when the worth of a man is how much he can pay (Flamboyant, Pet Shop Boys, 2006)
MBJ

Post by MBJ »

jaffab wrote:There is a lot of heavy stuff there... A large Axe? Maybe take it down to a Hatchet?!?

You have a life straw in there... you can get canteens with these built in - saves space, cost and easier to use. I don't see anything to cook with (pots, pans, mugs) etc.

I had not come across the Klymit Inertia X Frame Ultralight Pad before - looks pretty good. I have added a couple onto my amazon wish list for later purchase (I was planning on making my own using leaves/ferns/whatever on the road). Very pricey through.

Other things worth thinking about/adding:
Gorilla Tape (useful for patching stuff)
Gloves (protect your hands)
Plastic sheets (range of uses - catching water, making shelter etc)
Toothpaste/toothbrush/bug spray
Collapsible water jerry can
Glow sticks
TeaTowel (multi uses)

For hunting, I pack a crossbow myself, and have a snare tin (with wire, fasteners, eyelets)
I would use the Billy can and steel mugs / containers for cooking with / boiling water and would cook on open fires so no need for a stove. Good call on the canteens with purification built in.

For the large Axe, I have a Ray Mears Wilderness axe which is 1400g heavy and 60cm long. Heavy I know, but the extra weight in the head gives the axe more power and makes chopping wood and felling trees a lot easier. My logic is that once you've gotten to where you need to go, you can plunk the axe down. It's therefore better to have a heavy axe which is harder to carry for a short amount of time, but which will be easier to use, than one that is light but will use up loads of energy chopping with. Longer axes are safer too. Woodlore also do a carry case for both the axe and folding buck saw which is very nice.

ImageImage

I do like the look of crossbows and that was my initial thought. But then someone pointed out that they're very complicated, especially the compound ones and that there's a lot of things that can go wrong with them. I'd have no idea how to fix one if the mechanism broke for example, which is why I went for the take down bow.

Good ideas on the other items too. I had thought about tape for fixing things etc but hadn't considered plastic sheets etc.
Covert

Post by Covert »

Nice list MBJ !

Have a look at a recurve crossbow or archery bow , very little to go wrong with them and spares are cheap .
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Covert wrote:Nice list MBJ !

Have a look at a recurve crossbow or archery bow , very little to go wrong with them and spares are cheap .
I keep spare strings and ends because they do break if you have a mishap, I'd have more bits and a spare one if it were our only option.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

Regarding the axe/hatchet situation - Go Outdoors just reduced the price of the Bear Grylls Gerber Hatcher. I just bought one for £22.50. Very pleased.
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

dangerman wrote:Regarding the axe/hatchet situation - Go Outdoors just reduced the price of the Bear Grylls Gerber Hatcher. I just bought one for £22.50. Very pleased.
This?

I'd prefer to have something longer for the weight. 21oz and 9 1/2 inches long for an axe ?
Estwing sportsman's 25 oz and 13 inches if you want all steel core.

I like metal on wood... But I'm a BOF like that

However, its your kit not my kit and if you like it then all power to you.

Re: The crossbow/bow debate, whatever you have you have to practice....Lots
I'm a longbowman and used to often get my 3rd class (and do combat archery at re-enactment and LARP), and I wouldn't hunt with mine even if I could because I can't be sure of my shot.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jansman

Post by jansman »

What you carry is up to you.As a young man ( that takes some remembering!) I was employed by Her Majesty.We had to carry loads of 80lb min.from an LZ and yomp 40 miles.I was 19 and fit as £uck.Now I am an old man and I struggle with a pig that weight for ten feet from fridge to block!

Check your list,weigh it,and chuck stuff out.Then weigh it again.Everything must be multiple use.

I do smile when I read of very large rucksacks.When filled, they have to be carried .
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote:
I do smile when I read of very large rucksacks.When filled, they have to be carried .

But but bigger the bag the more of a prepper you are ;-)

Should have seen some of the scrambling we did when wild camping due to the public right of way had slid and become a cliff ,:o

Coupled with 3l of water a 24 hr MRE pack goretex hooped bivvy, sleeping bag, stove , lantern, torch, comprehensive fak , goretex jacket and trousers , beer, change of clothes and thermals , wash kit, sawyer and a coke bottle( 500ml). Camp mat (thermarest type) hip flask, mini gas cartridges x2 , mess tin, metal cup, survival pack (aka ditch kit) pouch with survival bag, snacks 500ml water, trail mix , mini torch whistle, map& compass and ground to air strobe... (That kit went on my belt when we scrambled as we passed packs along the gully)

All the kit got used (bar the fak and survival pouch)

I had thinned it down best I could

My hotel bag is a standard 25l rucksack....
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
MBJ

Post by MBJ »

jansman wrote:I do smile when I read of very large rucksacks.When filled, they have to be carried .
My current loadout weighs in at just under 11KG or 24lbs. I regularly carry 5L (5KG) bottles of water (when I go shopping for long term stores) over a mile home in an old rucksack with no hip or back support without breaking a sweat. I carry much more when I go on backpacking or camping trips. So to carry twice that weight with a much better bag wouldn't be that hard. I am young, fit and healthy; I walk 3 miles a day just getting to and from work as I don't own a car. I'm used to walking and I'm used to lugging heavy stuff. Of course not everyone is the same, but my bag is personalised for myself.