Mora Knives - whats it all about ?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
tanstaafl

Re: Mora Knives - whats it all about ?

Post by tanstaafl »

shocker wrote:Too right on the plastic sheath mate, bloody useless. I tend to make my own leather ones. My current fave is worn out "rigger" boots - they have a belt loop ready sewn on. Also, the wooly lined ones are good for using the old, viking trick, of lining blade sheaths with sheepskin and soaking the wool in oil. That way your blade stays oiled and rust free.

You dont fancy making me one do you, :?: Beer tokens could be found :D
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

The ones with the plastic rubberised handles are fine, good grip on those, but the wooden handles are a problem, they need a lot more care in use and they're nowhere near as comfortable.

The plastic sheaths actually work fine, good retention (at least when new, not used them enough to wear them out) and they're pretty strong, but they look and feel crap so I like a leather one.
Last edited by Jamesey1981 on Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
MBJ

Post by MBJ »

Deeps wrote:I'm far from an expert on knives but they're sharp, stay sharp well, feel comfortable and are cheap. This crossed my youtube path the other week which I thought was pretty interesting too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnvHIciS4Ss
That video is insane! I knew Moras were tough but seeing the amount of punishment he gave it, and with a sledge hammer too, was crazy!
shocker

Post by shocker »

tanstaafl wrote:
shocker wrote:Too right on the plastic sheath mate, bloody useless. I tend to make my own leather ones. My current fave is worn out "rigger" boots - they have a belt loop ready sewn on. Also, the wooly lined ones are good for using the old, viking trick, of lining blade sheaths with sheepskin and soaking the wool in oil. That way your blade stays oiled and rust free.

Find some old rigger boots, cut the foot bit off and send it to me and I will see what I can do ! Wont be quick, mind, cos I is a cripple, innit. Sorry, one is ability challenged, old bean ;)

Read this through again and looked at the posters location...

...Hereford, eh ? Cant you just go to the QM stores ? :o :lol:
Last edited by shocker on Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

MBJ wrote:
Deeps wrote:I'm far from an expert on knives but they're sharp, stay sharp well, feel comfortable and are cheap. This crossed my youtube path the other week which I thought was pretty interesting too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnvHIciS4Ss
That video is insane! I knew Moras were tough but seeing the amount of punishment he gave it, and with a sledge hammer too, was crazy!
It was pretty impressive wasn't it, I'm not even sure what I was watching before it that it ended up in my 'queue' but I'm glad it did. Like I say I'm no expert but I've been impressed with them anyway and to see the battering they can take and the price of them. :o
shocker

Post by shocker »

Im sold already - next months prep purchase will be a pair of his'n'hers Moras. This months allotted quota went on a Vango bergen. :D

I would still like to hear more of peoples experiences and any advice on which model to choose.
MBJ

Post by MBJ »

shocker wrote:and any advice on which model to choose.
The Mora used in the video is the Mora Robust which incidentally will be my next Mora purchase :D

You can pick them up for unbelievably good prices. The cheapest I have found to date is £12.95 from the Bushcraft Store.

http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/mora ... 1797-p.asp
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

I have several of the companions that used to be called the clipper, I have some of the thin bladed ones and one of the thicker heavy duty ones, that one is my day to day knife and has lasted years.

I bought a mora robust for my mate as we used my clipper when we were butchering a deer and he liked it a lot, so I bought him one, very nice knife and that's the one I would buy if I was buying a new one, the blade is a little wider, a little shorter, and a little bit thicker, but still very usable, cracking bit of kit and still cheap.

The mora kansbol is quite nice too, it has an additional grind at the tip of the blade (hard to explain but you'll see what I mean when you look) to make it a better skinner but still keep a strong edge at the handle end. I wouldn't buy one as I carry a separate knife for that kind of thing when I'm going to need it, but have a look as it might suit depending on what you want to do with it.

I always go for carbon steel, there's nothing wrong with their stainless, but I prefer carbon. They used to do a laminate (don't know if they still do) that had a carbon core with stainless on the outside, worth a look, I have one of the old school wood handled ones made from laminate and it's nice, I just don't like the handle.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

shocker wrote:
tanstaafl wrote:

Find some old rigger boots, cut the foot bit off and send it to me and I will see what I can do ! Wont be quick, mind, cos I is a cripple, innit. Sorry, one is ability challenged, old bean ;)

Read this through again and looked at the posters location...

...Hereford, eh ? Cant you just go to the QM stores ? :o :lol:

Ta will look out for rigger boots :D Hereford , where every second person you meet is Regiment lol :roll:
shocker

Post by shocker »

Looking at their site, this..

http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/tbs- ... 5038-p.asp

...is pretty much the blade that I am trying to hilt at the moment, its been a paracord special for years. Now Im sick of worrying about my fingers slipping onto the sharp-cutty-bleedy bit :cry: