Mora Knives - whats it all about ?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
shocker

Re: Mora Knives - whats it all about ?

Post by shocker »

Idiots who fall out of the sky just call it "black nasty". When its black, that is.

Forgot : spent a decade as a sound engineer, we pretty much lived on the stuff. And cable ties if we wanted to show off and be posh. ;)

Anyway, back to the point, Mora knives - I have spent the evening looking at them and despite the vids and everything, the one thing Im not sold on is how thin the blades are. I have had some bad experiences with thin blades, purely my own careless clumsiness.

Does the quality of the steel make up for this ? It certainly sounds that way. If I can get out tomorrow I will look at some, theres a couple of decent, relatively cheap stockists in town. Tried to see some today but I was shopping for gun-blue and the shops I went to had CRKT, Victorinox, Buck, allsorts....but no Mora :cry:
Last edited by shocker on Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
MBJ

Post by MBJ »

Put it this way Shocker, if you buy one and find you don't like it then it's not like you've spent a lot of money. That's the beauty of Moras.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

shocker wrote:I would still like to hear more of peoples experiences and any advice on which model to choose.
Ease of sharpening - Carbon

Rust free - Stainless

As you're going to dump them in your BOB/GHB I'd go for the Stainless versions.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

It was range day.... We have lots of Moras brightly coloured ones for food types in a waist bag we throw in the car if we are going to have a BBQ or something, many companions ( we each have a stainless and carbon one in various more usual colours, we have a couple of wooden ones for carving my son copped for the chisel, there is also a draw knife around here, ( the ebay ninja found a European fellow selling them really cheap one xmas and went mad) we each have a light my fire too, I would say that if you're going to go digging and stressing the blade then perhaps the heavy duty is a logical choice, for me I will look no further really Moras are good'nuff or great, My son has the whole set of Finnish wilderness knives, I really like those, but my dreams were full filled with my down under outback, the stacked leather handle and large size comes as close to the knife I lent end was never returned as a teenager as I'm going to get, we went a bit ferrel as teenagers back in the 70s one easter and it became clear that a large bowie knife with a stacked leather handle did it for me, the outback has the same feeling ( a bit like the wand in Potterland)

I have got a carbon steel Mora that I was careless with which got a few rust spots so an oily rag is as essential thing, the only other comment I can make and this may seem silly, I've tested every knife ( or type in the Mora case) in the kitchen because well, I cook and if I ever have to go anywhere and can't take the horses for courses chef's knives, butchers boning knife, and those handy little kitchen devil serrated things, then the thin bladed moras including the light my fire are simply the best for food prep, I think we forget that all too often, granted the penknife or opinel would also do it, but for hygene in those situations Moras get the thumbs up too, easy to clean, no nooks for stuff to get into ;)

( I nearly wrote butcher's boner but I didn't want Jansman spitting his coffee all over his keyboard) :roll:
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

shocker wrote:Tried to see some today but I was shopping for gun-blue and the shops I went to had CRKT, Victorinox, Buck, allsorts....but no Mora :cry:

I get mine from here cheap as chips https://www.springfields.co.uk/brands/mora.html
jansman

Post by jansman »

Plymtom wrote:It was range day.... We have lots of Moras brightly coloured ones for food types in a waist bag we throw in the car if we are going to have a BBQ or something, many companions ( we each have a stainless and carbon one in various more usual colours, we have a couple of wooden ones for carving my son copped for the chisel, there is also a draw knife around here, ( the ebay ninja found a European fellow selling them really cheap one xmas and went mad) we each have a light my fire too, I would say that if you're going to go digging and stressing the blade then perhaps the heavy duty is a logical choice, for me I will look no further really Moras are good'nuff or great, My son has the whole set of Finnish wilderness knives, I really like those, but my dreams were full filled with my down under outback, the stacked leather handle and large size comes as close to the knife I lent end was never returned as a teenager as I'm going to get, we went a bit ferrel as teenagers back in the 70s one easter and it became clear that a large bowie knife with a stacked leather handle did it for me, the outback has the same feeling ( a bit like the wand in Potterland)

I have got a carbon steel Mora that I was careless with which got a few rust spots so an oily rag is as essential thing, the only other comment I can make and this may seem silly, I've tested every knife ( or type in the Mora case) in the kitchen because well, I cook and if I ever have to go anywhere and can't take the horses for courses chef's knives, butchers boning knife, and those handy little kitchen devil serrated things, then the thin bladed moras including the light my fire are simply the best for food prep, I think we forget that all too often, granted the penknife or opinel would also do it, but for hygene in those situations Moras get the thumbs up too, easy to clean, no nooks for stuff to get into ;)

( I nearly wrote butcher's boner but I didn't want Jansman spitting his coffee all over his keyboard) :roll:
Ha ha! I'll get a cloth to clean the screen! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

shocker wrote: Does the quality of the steel make up for this ? It certainly sounds that way.
With the total basic Mora or Hultafors (the solid hard plastic handled ones) thats pretty much all you're paying for.
My first was a Mora Utility, it had a hard handle, a plastic sheath and the back of the blade still showed the guillotine marks..... But, it cost me a fiver and its still going strong (its now got a wooden grip however)

Ever hear of a 'Penny Knife', its a cheap tool thats supposed to be used, abused and replaced when you kill it..... Same thing
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Moras are nothing like them, but they're inspired by a similar thought process to the opinel folders and svord peasant, simple knives that are cheap to make, but made from good steel and meant to be used rather than looked at.
There's some styling going on, but more than anything they're designed to be a tool that won't let you down.
Dave Canterbury at the pathfinder school specifies full tang for knives to be used on his courses, (part of the kit list) but he makes an exception for moras.

Mors Kochanski has also been using them for years, and he's forgotten more than most of us will ever know about bushcraft.

If you go back to the YouTube videos that myself and deeps posted you'll see just what kind of abuse these knives can take, they're not the best knives in the world by a long shot, but you'll need to spend a lot more money to get a better one.

There's very few things that I would really rave about, but mora knives are one of the exceptions, I know I sound a bit like a fanboy, but as soon as you use one you'll see why.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
shocker

Post by shocker »

I tried to go and buy a mora with my last tenner today. Well that didnt go too well...someone had been in truck and turned the lights on all morning. So, no battery...flat as a proverbial, wouldnt even jump off the spare. Must have upset someone. Again. :cry:
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Sonicuk

Post by Sonicuk »

Jamesey1981 wrote:One thing, I personally hate the plastic sheaths that they come with, you can pick up a leather sheath for about a tenner on Amazon and it instantly makes your knife feel higher quality.
Can you recommend one? I've not looked yet, but some recommendations would be good.

Thanks