What Preps are you doing this week? Part 4

How are you preparing
Brambles

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 4

Post by Brambles »

shocker wrote:
MBJ wrote:I bought myself a Wild Country Zephyros 2 man tent from Blacks for £120. It only weighs 1800 grams, packs down small and would be ideal for a bug out bag. In the meantime I'm going to be using it for my numerous camps away with my Beaver Scouts and holidays, so extremely useful even if not needed in an emergency. I also added some packs of bread mix from the homebaking section and have been practising how to make my own bread. The great thing about this stuff is that you don't need a bread maker and just stick it in the oven.
I didnt know Blacks were still in business - I was told that they had been taken over and killed off. Glad to hear they are still about! Many of my adventures began with a visit to Blacks.

re-bread: We here have recently been buying new-er yeast for bread making, though we both have carpal tunnel problems, so we are a bit needing on the kneading front. The only device that I have found that helps with that is an old Kenwood Chef mixer with a dough hook. Not very useful in a SHTF scene. Plus my mum nicked mine. :( :oops:

However, we have recently discovered (years behind everyone else) half-cooked rolls and french sticks - they have 6 month-to-a-year shelf life and seem to cost about 50p a pack. Not the best for space saving but handy fresh bread in a pinch (of salt). Or a jam. ;)
Have a look at this chap Shocks. He knows his stuff and is a bit of a hero of mine.(the bread is fab too!)

https://www.youtube.com/user/artisanbreadwithstev
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
shocker

Post by shocker »

Cool! Thanks (again) Bram! ;)
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Brambles wrote:Have a look at this chap Shocks. He knows his stuff and is a bit of a hero of mine.(the bread is fab too!)

https://www.youtube.com/user/artisanbreadwithstev
I just subscribed, that intro little video looks amazing. Now I'm hoping that some of it can be gluten free....

Otherwise, how am I preparing ... I'm getting the pest control guy to put poison down in the loft, and steeling myself not to listen to the running and scratching. And realising that in this hot weather, I may have found the point of entry (which the pest control guy couldn't find, and thought they may be coming from beyond the party wall). My corner kitchen cupboard smells just like the loft, in this hot weather :( Severe pruning coming up, so he can see clearly during next week's visit.
ChefSimon

Post by ChefSimon »

Hello everyone...

Well it's been a few weeks due to things going on here (all good). I've finally got a new job, I'm now working for the NHS. I've also been told that my PTSD Therapy is being wound down as we've made some great headway and I'm finally sleeping normally again.

Besides that, I've been updating my EDC and IFAK kits to reflect my new commute and also following on from the current terror threat escalation over the past few days.

My EDC rucksack has a compartment for either a water bladder or ballistic plate. I've put a level 3a ballistic plate in it for the time being. It doesn't affect the weight too much, but has provided extra protection.

On the home front I'm currently researching Solar panels and home storage options for 'off grid' potential & power cuts. (it's more of a fantasy but makes for interesting reading. Oh and reading lots of posts on here!
Prior Planning & Preperation Prevents P*** Poor Performance.

No plan survives first contact.

Bug in before bugging out. Meet the problem on your terms!
shocker

Post by shocker »

Good to see you back mate ;) I have been off-line too, but for less upsetting reasons. Im glad to hear you are getting over things, that insomnia is a bitch. It plays hell with your mind (and body) when you can least bear it, too.

That solar, off grid thing isnt such a dream, you know...folks here have done set ups in sheds with a leisure battery and inverters on a low budget and made it work. Then its just a question of gradually scaling up. :D
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

shocker wrote:Good to see you back mate ;) I have been off-line too, but for less upsetting reasons. Im glad to hear you are getting over things, that insomnia is a bitch. It plays hell with your mind (and body) when you can least bear it, too.

That solar, off grid thing isnt such a dream, you know...folks here have done set ups in sheds with a leisure battery and inverters on a low budget and made it work. :D
I think the best find so far has been Andy's
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14573&p=163003&hil ... NS#p163003

Home emergency lighting for under a fiver!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
ChefSimon

Post by ChefSimon »

Brambles wrote:
shocker wrote:Good to see you back mate ;) I have been off-line too, but for less upsetting reasons. Im glad to hear you are getting over things, that insomnia is a bitch. It plays hell with your mind (and body) when you can least bear it, too.

That solar, off grid thing isnt such a dream, you know...folks here have done set ups in sheds with a leisure battery and inverters on a low budget and made it work. :D
I think the best find so far has been Andy's
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14573&p=163003&hil ... NS#p163003

Home emergency lighting for under a fiver!
I like that! I'll have to have a look. I'll do a post in the Equipment section in a bit with a Solar LED "Pillow" I use when camping. A great little gimmick which is really useful.
Prior Planning & Preperation Prevents P*** Poor Performance.

No plan survives first contact.

Bug in before bugging out. Meet the problem on your terms!
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

ChefSimon wrote:Hello everyone...

Well it's been a few weeks due to things going on here (all good). I've finally got a new job, I'm now working for the NHS. I've also been told that my PTSD Therapy is being wound down as we've made some great headway and I'm finally sleeping normally again.
Congratulations! All of those things are a big deal on their own, but all three together are fantastic news.
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

One of my original "preps" of joining the Church to have a support network around me has kind of progressed and I am now the casher upper, verger, sides person, on the PCC and Church committee and also the Deputy Church warden. So as far as having a role to play in civilised society I think I have now got that covered.

The work I have done in Toastmasters to improve my communication and leadership skills has resulted in gaining the Advanced Communicator Gold award.

The physical fitness angle I am still working at and have far to go through, but i am more of a well rounded person now and am much more sorted in myself. My income has gone up a bit thanks to working my industry pretty hard over 10 and 1/2 years. Not to long before I hit the national average income, fingers crossed.

My knowledge of diet, nutrition and alternative health seems to be helping, but I have a some way to go to get that completely sorted too.

Its just a question of dealing with life issues one at a time and having perseverance.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

nickdutch wrote:One of my original "preps" of joining the Church to have a support network around me has kind of progressed and I am now the casher upper, verger, sides person, on the PCC and Church committee and also the Deputy Church warden. So as far as having a role to play in civilised society I think I have now got that covered.

The work I have done in Toastmasters to improve my communication and leadership skills has resulted in gaining the Advanced Communicator Gold award.

The physical fitness angle I am still working at and have far to go through, but i am more of a well rounded person now and am much more sorted in myself. My income has gone up a bit thanks to working my industry pretty hard over 10 and 1/2 years. Not to long before I hit the national average income, fingers crossed.

My knowledge of diet, nutrition and alternative health seems to be helping, but I have a some way to go to get that completely sorted too.

Its just a question of dealing with life issues one at a time and having perseverance.
Glad things are falling into place for you mate, I think you're spot on with perseverance being a big part of getting on in pretty much any endeavour, sometimes all you can do is keep plugging away.